MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT
 
Written by Puff Staff

Monday, 06 January 2014

User Rating: / 5
PoorBest

 
Tags:
101box
faqhistory


So now that we have briefly covered the history of how cigar boxes came into being, let's look at some of the statistics and material types used in the process.

According to the Cigarhistory website, between 1762 and 1962, there were some 250,000 cigar manufacturers, 100 cigar label printers, and 1,000 box makers. On top of that, it states there were two million different brands of cigars, ten million retailers, and over a billion cigar boxes made.

All told, 80% of those boxes were made from wood - and with good reason. The other 20% were made out of materials such as tin, paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and other, more bizarre material, such as china, ceramic, and other metals.

Today there exists a huge market for not only cigar box collectibles, but for cigar box art, and even cigar box instruments - perhaps one of the cooler, more strange aspects of cigar box history. Basically cigar boxes were used in the construction of cheap guitars by early Civil War soldiers looking for a way to pass the time or entertain each other. It’s a rich tradition that has passed through time from at least as far back as 1840 and there are communities on the Internet devoted to the craft to this day.

With all of this in mind, in our next part of this series, we are going to look at that actual different types of cigar boxes throughout the ages and see how much they have changed (and in some instances remained the same).

If you collect cigar boxes, why not share some with us? Know some box history I left out, or can you elaborate more? Leave some notes in the comments section - we would love to hear from you!

 

 






Comments 

 
0 # honest abeacid 4 all 2014-04-23 09:59
a couple of typos in the cigar box article and I don't think abe was around in 1964....

Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 

Add comment

Security code
Refresh



   


Sign Up to our
GET IT NOW!






 

Member Cigar Reviews | Staff Cigar Reviews | Cigar Videos | One on One Interviews | Cigar News | Puffcast | Cigar Forums | Lifestyle | Partners | Contact
© 2015 by Caputo Media, LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Ad Blockers Suck! Why?


Puff.com Daily Digest

Thank you for your interest in the Puff.com Daily Digest. Get notified of all new content on Puff.com in our free Daily Digest. To subscribe, enter your email address below and click the subscribe button.


Email Address:


Email will come from "donotreply@caputomedia.com". Please whitelist this email address.

Cancel and Return to page