Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Phoenix - Cigar Inn

This is a discussion on Phoenix - Cigar Inn within the Arizona forums, part of the Members and Places to Smoke by Area category; Located in Town & Country Center - 20th Street and Camelback. The store is nice enough. The area outside the ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Phoenix - Cigar Inn

Located in Town & Country Center - 20th Street and Camelback.

The store is nice enough. The area outside the walk-in is just crowded enough with merchandise to feel charming. The humidor is pretty average-sized and they carry a pretty normal assortment, as far as I can tell. (Read on to see why I didn't browse thoroughly.) Their prices seem reasonable compared to other stores along the Camelback corridor, but they are not as low as the pushy (but otherwise very pleasant) proprietress tried to convince me they were.

And that is what turned me off. I told the lady that I was a fairly new smoker, and told her what I liked so far. She tried to steamroll me into buying everything I looked at. I had to have a humidor - "Here, buy this one, it's only ..." "You like Fuentes? Here, buy this King T - it's better than Cubans." And so on.

I don't mind someone following me into the humidor to make sure I don't damage their merchandise. OK, I don't really like it, but I get it, and I can cut them that much slack, no problem. But this lady was never more than eighteen inches out of my face the whole time I was in the humidor. I honestly can't say in general whether the cigars are organized in any logical fashion - I was in too much of a hurry to get out of there. I can say that not all of their Arturo Fuentes were shelved together.

My impression is that this might be a good place to buy single sticks if you know what you want and can make a commando strike to get them - in and out with little or no browsing. It's close to where I work, so I may drop in to buy, but not to shop.

Cigar Inn does not offer discounts for boxes, and contrary to what the lady said, their single-stick prices are not low enough to justify this practice. Even though I am relatively newborn into the cigar-smoking world, I have visited most of the shops near Cigar Inn, and I've spent time online, so I have an idea of prices and practices.

Puffer Fish with many spikes dyieldin's Avatar

Re: Phoenix - Cigar Inn

I have not been there, forgot about it. I did see a post somewhere a while back and it was not a good one, same pushy lady and the stick were over humidified. Plenty of others in the valley to spend your money at.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tritones View Post
    Located in Town & Country Center - 20th Street and Camelback.

The store is nice enough. The area outside the walk-in is just crowded enough with merchandise to feel charming. The humidor is pretty average-sized and they carry a pretty normal assortment, as far as I can tell. (Read on to see why I didn't browse thoroughly.) Their prices seem reasonable compared to other stores along the Camelback corridor, but they are not as low as the pushy (but otherwise very pleasant) proprietress tried to convince me they were.

And that is what turned me off. I told the lady that I was a fairly new smoker, and told her what I liked so far. She tried to steamroll me into buying everything I looked at. I had to have a humidor - "Here, buy this one, it's only ..." "You like Fuentes? Here, buy this King T - it's better than Cubans." And so on.

I don't mind someone following me into the humidor to make sure I don't damage their merchandise. OK, I don't really like it, but I get it, and I can cut them that much slack, no problem. But this lady was never more than eighteen inches out of my face the whole time I was in the humidor. I honestly can't say in general whether the cigars are organized in any logical fashion - I was in too much of a hurry to get out of there. I can say that not all of their Arturo Fuentes were shelved together.

My impression is that this might be a good place to buy single sticks if you know what you want and can make a commando strike to get them - in and out with little or no browsing. It's close to where I work, so I may drop in to buy, but not to shop.

Cigar Inn does not offer discounts for boxes, and contrary to what the lady said, their single-stick prices are not low enough to justify this practice. Even though I am relatively newborn into the cigar-smoking world, I have visited most of the shops near Cigar Inn, and I've spent time online, so I have an idea of prices and practices.
    I haven't noticed this thread before now but if you're in east Phoenix/Scottsdale try Hiland's Cigars on Thomas Rd. just west of 68 St. I'm currently in New York and will soon be returning to Az but lived there for 27 years and tried almost every cigar shop in the valley. Eventually I gave them all of my business [with the exception of C-bid]. They may not have the largest selection in town but their prices are hard to beat, no sales pressure, and you'll find Scott and Rosemary to be very helpful. If you go, tell them Jack said "hi" and I hope to see them soon.
    Do unto others - then split!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    I haven't noticed this thread before now but if you're in east Phoenix/Scottsdale try Hiland's Cigars on Thomas Rd. just west of 68 St. I'm currently in New York and will soon be returning to Az but lived there for 27 years and tried almost every cigar shop in the valley. Eventually I gave them all of my business [with the exception of C-bid]. They may not have the largest selection in town but their prices are hard to beat, no sales pressure, and you'll find Scott and Rosemary to be very helpful. If you go, tell them Jack said "hi" and I hope to see them soon.
    Thanks! I live in Peoria, but I work at 24th & Camelback, so this would be just in range for a lunchtime raid. If I make it over there, I'll pass along your greeting!
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar

[QUOTE=Tritones;2912099]Thanks! I live in Peoria, but I work at 24th & Camelback, so this would be just in range for a lunchtime raid. If I make it over there, I'll pass along your greeting![/QUOTE

Glad to help. And to save you time, go to the light at 68 St. take a right and another right in the alley. Their just a few buildings down, park in the back of the store.
    Do unto others - then split!

Puffer Fish with many spikes dyieldin's Avatar

Hey Mike, if you go on a Friday there is free lunch and a free smoke to boot. Well most Fridays they have that. Humidity seems to bounce, it is a house that is now a walk-in humidor and if there is a lot of traffic in and out things seem to dry out a bit. They also have their own brand, "rambling river", I had a couple and they are not bad.

Full grown Puffer Fish Team Fuente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tritones View Post
    Thanks! I live in Peoria, but I work at 24th & Camelback, so this would be just in range for a lunchtime raid. If I make it over there, I'll pass along your greeting!
    Ye olde use to occupy where cigar inn is, ye olde in now on 24th n cambell by 7-11

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I've had a lot of experience with "pushy" cigar people...the ones who follow you around like those guys on a used car lot. I usually will chit chat with em and after a minute or so if I feel they are "leaning" on me to buy something I usually walk up to em eye to eye and smile and say to them..."I pretty much know what I like and if I can't find it I'll whistle at ya." After saying that I won't move until they move along. If they don't move I turn around and start looking again and if they follow me again I'll stop and say,,,"Ya know something...I do much better shopping alone and if you want my business you'll let me pick out what I want." Usually I don't have to go this far with it but have had a few "buzzards" keep up with the following me around which is rude...and I don't have a problem being very forthright back to em. I think their place is to "help" you if you need it but once they start following me around esp. after I've told them I'm able to pick cigars out for myself it's time to mark territory.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by JackH View Post
    I gotta totally agree with this post. Hilands is the place and its tough to beat their prices.... even online. They do a lot of online sales and have a lot of the cheapest prices I have seen. Also stop in and hang out, the atmosphere is awsome, best cigar shop in Phoenix, heck anywhere.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by edg.tucson View Post
    I gotta totally agree with this post. Hilands is the place and its tough to beat their prices.... even online. They do a lot of online sales and have a lot of the cheapest prices I have seen. Also stop in and hang out, the atmosphere is awsome, best cigar shop in Phoenix, heck anywhere.
    I stopped in there one day - very nice people, casual atmosphere, good prices on what they had in stock. Bad news - they didn't have anything in stock that I wanted. It's kind of a stretch for me to make it over there on a lunch break, and it's the opposite direction from home, so I probably won't be back.

I really like Shades of Havana on my side of town - the best people I've run into yet, great selection and decent prices.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Newbie in the ocean

I've been here a couple times and the lady that was there was on top of me the entire time but seemed nice enough until she tried to talk me out of buying a certain cigar the selection was decent except a little unorganized and the prices were a tad bit high on a couple cigars but that lady was just bad customer service. I'll keep my business at Churchills they're great people and the prices are some of the lowest I've seen in the valley

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Cigar Inn is out of business - new store in their location, called Portofino's. Really nice people and much more relaxed environment. More knowledgeable staff, as well. Unfortunately, their humidor runs heavy on the large RG side, which is not my cup of tea, so the times I've visited I haven't found a lot to buy.

I like Churchill's pretty well. Good for shopping, but I never really felt welcome to stay and smoke - probably just me, but it felt like the guys smoking there thought I was intruding on their club.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Now been sold and doing business as Baxter's Cigars. I stopped in on a weekday after work, and there were at least 8 guys enjoying themselves in the lounge area. Attractive 30-something gal working the counter, and free coffee, too. I will have to revisit soon when I have time to sit and smoke.

baxters cigars . com

Maturing Puffer Fish

Went in this past Saturday and caught the first half of our ASU putt'n the spank on USC, but I digress.
    Absolutely the most comfortable cigar 'lounge' type of experience I've had. Two young employees, Joe and Nicki, were on-hand. Joe didn't hesitate to accompany me to their humidor. He asked my tastes/experiences, and had several suggestions for me immediately. Also, he quickly understood that I was not a novice, and the discussion went accordingly. Perfect sales demeanor for a customer like me.

Scored a MF's Tabacos Baez SF, which was just slightly one-upped by a little maduro Tatuaje of about 4.5 x38. All while ensconced in a wonderful high-back leather chair. Harry was quite the affable pipe-guy, on my left, and Denny on my right suggested a couple for my to-do list. Several others were seated both next to me, and behind. Somewhat cramped, perhaps, but not so much so that you feel crowded. The point being, as a newb to them all, I was made to feel MORE than welcome.

If you are a dog- person, there's was a big, red, boxer mix(?) "Magnum" who was a love sponge. Mascot Baxter waits ever so patiently for someone to slip up and let him BOLT out of the door. He seemed a bit aloof, but a neat dog, nonetheless. Some sort of unique cattle-dog mix, I suspect. However, I noted at least ONE customer that was not a dog-person, but Magnum's tail-wag seemed to put even him at-ease.

Go check them out, and let's hope they prosper.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I realize this needs more clarification for the Phoenix readers. There is still a 'Cigar Inn' on 16th St., just south of Camelback. The owner explained to me that he formerly occupied the lease at what is now, Baxter's. Portofino's occupied after he vacated it. Now, Baxter's has taken over from Portofino's.