Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scottsdale - Hilands Cigars

This is a discussion on Scottsdale - Hilands Cigars within the Arizona forums, part of the Members and Places to Smoke by Area category; Awesome atmosphere, great selection, and really low prices. This is my favorite place to hang out and smoke. Scott is ...

Young Fish

Talking Scottsdale - Hilands Cigars

Awesome atmosphere, great selection, and really low prices. This is my favorite place to hang out and smoke. Scott is the man, he will guide you to a fantastic smoke every time.... you just have to ask. Check them out on the web too just search for Hilands Cigars. Really great place no matter who you are.

Re: Scottsdale - Hilands Cigars

The Hiland's used to have a ton of stores all over Southern California. I've been dealing with them for a long long time. The ones that are still actually owned by the family are great places. The others, not so much. And the website, well, it could use some work. It just isn't updated as often as it should be. But yes, Hiland's is a great place.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Young Fish

I agree about the website but his prices are real hard to beat so I am willing to put up with the issues.

Puffer Fish with many spikes dyieldin's Avatar

Love the place too. Scott has a tasting almost every Friday there, a free smoke and some food out. Lots of people hanging out, a good time to be had.

I also love the idea of a 'house humidor'. The whole house is a walkin with some kind of porous tiles on the floor that they just pour water on and it acts as a humidifier.
    How about the guy who wanted "A Cuban" I told him we have an embargo. He said "OK I'll take one of those".

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by dyieldin View Post
    Love the place too. Scott has a tasting almost every Friday there, a free smoke and some food out. Lots of people hanging out, a good time to be had.

I also love the idea of a 'house humidor'. The whole house is a walkin with some kind of porous tiles on the floor that they just pour water on and it acts as a humidifier.
    Speaking of which this friday is gonna be a cigar day.... Rocky Patel I think. Check out the Hilands Cigars website for all the details.

Newbie in the ocean

Wow. On Wednesday morning at 9:15 I ordered a box of Alec Bradley Special Cabinet Reserve, received a confirmation immediately, and at 11:02 I received a second email telling me my order had shipped and giving me a tracking number. Thursday afternoon, I had them in my hands. That's the kind of terrific service which brings a new customer back time and again! Here's the kicker: The store does not even open until 10:00. Pretty darn good, eh?

Where'd I get such sterling service? Not at Hilands. At Hilands, I ordered two boxes of Torano 1916 Cameroons that said "in stock" on their web page. Three weeks later I had not received a shipping notice, nor any status update, nor any reply to any of the emails I sent. What I did get, however, was promises that my order would be in my hands by the end of the week on three different occasions when I called the store by phone. That, and they wasted no time charging the credit card. On the fourth week, they copped an attitude, so I canceled the order. The web page still said "in stock".

What do you think? If you were me, who would you rather do business with? Hilands or the other guys? Hilands Cigars just does not get it. When you say you have an item which you don't, and you charge a card for an item you can't ship, then that's just not honest.

Where to Smoke Cigars in the USA - Members and Places to Smoke by Area - Arizona - Scottsdale - Hilands Cigars

This section is for LOCAL discussion, not online retailer discussion. Just make a thread about it... that has treated people well lately.

__________________-
    I did go here IN PERSON with a Groupon deal which actually kind of kick started me getting back into cigars. Very nice people but very small place. The location is an old house, a very small old house. Selection is less than most B&Ms. My guess is most of their clientele have been ordering from them for years and are repeat customers that order the same thing every time. Just not good enough prices or selection to justify buying from them for me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

First post is spent reviving a two year old thread to complain?

Just gonna ignore this one.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Way to bump a two year old thread that has absolutely nothing to do with your "problem." And you registered over a year ago and this is your 1st post?

Is this place one of the better ones in Scottsdale? I will be there at the end of the month and may have time to do some cigar shopping.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Hey, Ryan - Hilands has great staff and it seems like a lot of nice folks hang out there. IMO, their selection isn't particularly great, but their prices are at least comparable for the area, and maybe even on the low side.

I don't know much about any other places in Scottsdale, but I can recommend a few in other parts of the Valley.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

I go to Cigar King when I'm in Scottsdale. Great place to have a smoke, a large humidor and friendly people to boot. Check it out
    if you have time
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Bought 2 boxes of WOAMs, took a bit longer than I'd anticipated. Phoned the store one morning, smokes arrived hours later, they called me back to see if things were OK.

Hell, I'm gonna age them at least a year, what difference does 10 days make?

No regrets.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish aaron72's Avatar

I would second Cigar King

Thanks for the responses, hopefully I can stop by Cigar King and check it out. I will be spending most of my time in Sedona this trip but will have a day and a half in Scottsdale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast