Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Wheel Of Time.

This is a discussion on The Wheel Of Time. within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Probably one of my favorite series of all time. The writer (Robert Jordan) died before he finished it, but he ...

The Wheel Of Time.

Probably one of my favorite series of all time. The writer (Robert Jordan) died before he finished it, but he had very good notes and a new writer is finishing the series.

The new book came out a few months ago and I am rereading the series again to refresh my memory.

INHO one of the best fantasy series of all times. It's get's a little tedious for a couple of books, but the new book is supposed to be great.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Who you calling clown??? Coop D's Avatar

Re: The Wheel Of Time.

I am very proud that you can read

Probably shouldn't be drinking at work again....
    When the river runs red, take the dirt road!!!

Puffer Fish with many spikes BTcigars's Avatar

You are rereading the books?! Those are some pretty thick books and there is a good number of them. But then again, my nighttime reading in the past has included 1200 page computer manuals.
    Be sure to check out my blog http://www.BTcigars.com

Quote Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
    You are rereading the books?! Those are some pretty thick books and there is a good number of them. But then again, my nighttime reading in the past has included 1200 page computer manuals.
    Yep 4th time through. LOL

yeah they average around 900 pages.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

I am just about to start this series and am looking forward to it.

You'll really enjoy it lloyd.

I also have all the audio books except the last one if you're interested.

I might take you up on that. I do a lot of driving so having the audio book would be nice. I have the whole series as e-books.

I am currently about 450 pages into the first book and so far I would agree that it is a good book.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

The Wheel of Time is on my "To Read" list. I've got too many other series going on right now to start another.

Just started book 5 yesterday, ive loved the series so far. If you like these, you should try Feists magician books, i finished book 24 before i started on the wheel. Im a couple of books behind now.

Here is the feist Magician book list -

Alternate Reading Order | The Official Raymond E. Feist Website

Really great story line running through them.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Amlique's Avatar

I couldn't make it past book six. I loved the first three books or maybe even the fourth one. Then there was just too much fluff for my taste. I can't believe there is another one coming out.

I braved through King's Gunslinger series that had a similar tragic progression of fluff just to keep the series going. Books 1-4 incredible, the rest, crap. I mean, the guy wrote himself into the story. Enough said.
    If you plan on buying or selling real estate anywhere in the country, let me know first. I can refer you to the best agent in your area.

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

Yeah, after the 6th book or so, RJ got really inconsistent with the pacing. Some books flew by, they were so packed with interesting events and plot advancement. And then there's one book in particular where he spends 6 or 7 pages just describing a procession of Aes Sedai entering a room. The level of detail just gets inanely stupid at times.

That said, the new guy who's finishing off the series seems to not suffer the same inconsistency. I read one of his own works so far, and it was good, if a little Disney-fairy tale-ish in a couple spots. In taking over the Wheel of Time, he pretty drastically modified one of the primary characters - made him much more clownish and funny, rather than roguish and sly like before. But everything else is pretty much spot on, and it MOVES! I'm really looking forward to seeing where he goes from where he left off with his last book.

Almost finished with The Gathering Storm right now. Was sent to Any Soldier here in Afghanistan. (wonder how long I'll wait for last two?)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Dan-Hur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amlique View Post
    I couldn't make it past book six. I loved the first three books or maybe even the fourth one. Then there was just too much fluff for my taste. I can't believe there is another one coming out.

I braved through King's Gunslinger series that had a similar tragic progression of fluff just to keep the series going. Books 1-4 incredible, the rest, crap. I mean, the guy wrote himself into the story. Enough said.
    I agree with you completely. King frequently mentions himself in his own books, but I didn't expect him to pull a Shyamalan. It's kind of funny the first time, but after that, you start to roll your eyes.

One thing I've noticed about long-running book series is that it seems like the authors feel they need to outdo themselves with every new book. They release a 1200 page mammoth that gets great reviews and sales and then it's like they're almost embarrassed that the sequel is only 800 pages long. So they expand it to 1800 pages by taking the time to describe how every character goes about putting on their clothes or every blade of grass in a field.

Another good fantasy series is a Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. It's supposed to be a six book series, but it's taking a really, really long time for the fifth book to be released.

I am half way thru book 11. Really enjoying WOT. After I finish off the series I need to switch gears from Fantasy and try something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast