Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Consigliere Yeah, I'd recommend it, it's not a heavy read & it's specifically about Khe Sanh which ...

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

Quote Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
    Yeah, I'd recommend it, it's not a heavy read & it's specifically about Khe Sanh which is cool. The author was actually a mortor man which isn't a discipline you get to read too much about, at least I hadn't come across it much.
    Thanks, I'll check it out, I just finished Dispatches by Michael Herr and was pretty disappointed in it. I saw it as more about what it was like being an arrogant, doped up, journalist, than about the war. Before that was A Gift of Valor by Michael Phillips, which I thought was outstanding, no politics.

I just finished Dragon by Clive Cussler and before that Corsair by the same author.

Now I have to read chapters out of my World Religions and Biology book. Oh the joys of being diligent in college.

The Color of Night by David Lindsey. Spy thriller. Good read.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish maxwell62's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StratSlinger View Post
    A brother after my own heart! I keep meaning to pick up The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for a re-read. One of these days...

I just wrapped up S.M. Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time. Pretty neat read if you're at all into Time Travel and/or Alternate History flavors of SciFi.

I'm now just getting into Orson Scott Card's "The Worthing Saga," while still listening to the last of Dan Simons' Hyperion novels on audiobook during my commute.

My wife, however, just read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and is now reading the follow-up to that novel. And, just like folks have said here, she nearly bailed in the first 100 pages. A friend assured her that sticking with it would be worth it, and she more than agreed when all was said and done!
    The next two in the trilogy are really page turners.
    Then there are the movies, all excellent.
    Would bet you'll both enjoy watching them.
    Real shame Steig Larson didn't get to finish the fourth, then write more.

Just starting "Harbour" by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
    If it's anywhere near as good as his first two, "Let The Right One In" and "Handling The Undead" it will have been worth the wait. 499 pages that I want to take my time with,not knowing how long the wait may be for his next book.
    Any others who really like his books?
    Or, the original movie of Let The Right One In?
    Cheers,
    Bob.

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

Wait a second. What happened to Larson? Why couldn't he write another? Did he pull a Frank Herbert/Robert Jordan???

Speaking of which, I'm currently rereading the first post-Jordan Wheel of Time novel, in anticipation of the next one, due next month...

Scotch & Cigars

Currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Kook's Avatar

I'm finishing up War and Peace. I'm still debating whats going to be next. I've got 5 books waiting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by StratSlinger View Post
    Wait a second. What happened to Larson? Why couldn't he write another? Did he pull a Frank Herbert/Robert Jordan???

Speaking of which, I'm currently rereading the first post-Jordan Wheel of Time novel, in anticipation of the next one, due next month...
    Steig Larson after shopping the three books around without any luck, found a publisher who took a chance, picked up all of them and went ahead with publishing them. Before they were printed he Larson died of a heart attack.So never got to see how well they did. Worldwide sales 40 mil plus.
    By the way all three books have been made into movies. And they're all superb.
    Very well done with a fine cast. Each will stand alone, but best bet is to watch them in the same order as the books.I've watched them twice and about ready for another go.

I'm currently reading my way back through The Wheel of Time series so I can pick up the first post-Jordan book. I'm really hoping he doesn't screw it up.

I haven't updated lately. Finished Fellowship of the Ring, and now about halfway through The Two Towers.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Just picked up "Cyanide & Happiness" and "Ice Cream & Sadness".

I love comics!

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
    I'm currently reading my way back through The Wheel of Time series so I can pick up the first post-Jordan book. I'm really hoping he doesn't screw it up.
    The one coming out in a couple weeks is actually the second post Jordan book. The first was last year's Gathering Storm, and I thought it was great. The guy misfired a little on Mat's voice, but everything else was awesome. I hear that Sanderson responded to reader feedback on Mat in the upcoming book, and that he's gotten it much closer this time around.

But I still think this one has, hands down, the most chill-down-the-spine inducing moment to date. Dumai's wells held that spot for me for a long time. But the punch in the face moment in Gathering Storm just blew me away...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes bigslowrock's Avatar

Finished Baroque Cycle!!!! The Baroque Cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia All bazillion pages

Reading Uncubicled now

Just wrapped up Pilgrim's Progress. For whatever insane reason, I picked up the version in the King's English. That was rough.

But after that slow read, I've picked right through a third of the Count of Monte Cristo.

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast