Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I noticed other people mentioned it but I am currently re-reading George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire ...

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

I noticed other people mentioned it but I am currently re-reading George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, more commonly referred to by the first books title, A Game of Thrones. I've read it once and now I'm already back through into the 3rd book. It's like Lord of the Rings with less "Gayness". Ok, so there is some gayness but at least theyre honest about it unlike Sam and Frodo keeping it under wraps. If you like that kind of book, I would highly recommend it.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles D View Post
    I noticed other people mentioned it but I am currently re-reading George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, more commonly referred to by the first books title, A Game of Thrones. I've read it once and now I'm already back through into the 3rd book. It's like Lord of the Rings with less "Gayness". Ok, so there is some gayness but at least theyre honest about it unlike Sam and Frodo keeping it under wraps. If you like that kind of book, I would highly recommend it.
    I know of no homosexuality in either of the series... so YMMV.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It's a bit long and slow moving, so it's taking me much longer than normal to read than most things, but it's pretty good. I really don't understand some of the characters at times. They're just too extreme.

I bought Game of Thrones this weekend at B&N when I was snooping around in there. Looking forward to reading it, but then again I'm kind of hesitant. I don't want to end up enjoying the series a lot and then spend years waiting for the next book to come out. Is he pretty good with the endings on the books, or are they big cliffhangers?

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    I know of no homosexuality in either of the series... so YMMV.
    YMMV? I don't want to spoil any of it but one of the important characters of book 2 in Game of Thrones was a closet homosexual with one of the biggest supporting characters of the entire series. And in LOTR Tolken couldn't have made that book much more closet gay. Thats why I like Game better, at least George RR Martin is stepping up and making it part of the story instead of just making it nuances.

I bought Game of Thrones this weekend at B&N when I was snooping around in there. Looking forward to reading it, but then again I'm kind of hesitant. I don't want to end up enjoying the series a lot and then spend years waiting for the next book to come out. Is he pretty good with the endings on the books, or are they big cliffhangers?[/QUOTE]

You are going to read them, get hooked and then hate your life for the next couple years waiting for the next book. George RR Martin loves him some cliffhangers and he also has an interesting structure to the book. It follows several main characters by jumping from one person to the next by chapter so often you get news of another main character through other people's chapters and you dont know whats really happening until you make it back to that character. Masterful at making you want to keep reading, terrible at wrapping up a book so you feel there was an ending to that section of the story. I think if he could have gotten someone to do it he would have written like a 5000 page book to fit it all under one roof. He probably makes a lot more money this way anyways.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Currently reading "Inside the Kingdom: Kings, Clerics, Modernists, Terrorists, and the Struggle for Saudi Arabia" by Robert Lacey. It's his follow on book that traced the history from it's current founding to about 1980. This one brings it current to 2009.

Young Puffer Fish

Genesis revisited....by Zechariah Sitchen

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

And in LOTR Tolken couldn't have made that book much more closet gay.
    ...except that the story was about brotherly love and sacrifice. It was about friends attracted to each other for who they were, and who loved each other with a self-sacrificial love, not a story about homosexuals unwilling to acknowledge a sexual chemistry. CS Lewis, one of Tolkien's contemporaries and close friends, wrote a book called the Four Loves. I'd commend it to you, especially the section on friendship.

In a modern world where every attraction is considered sexual, or rather, in a world in which our *****graphy culture results in people who are unable to have attractions that aren't sexual, it's no wonder modern readers of Tolkien's classic can't take the story for what it is, and can't understand the story without some kind of homosexual twist that was never intended.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Leading Puffer Fish

I just bulldozed all 5 books of the Song of Fire and Ice in the last three weeks... I WANT MORE!!!

Just loaded up the Timothy Zahn 'Thrawn Trilogy' as a good palette cleanser before I grab something new.

Home Brewin' Herfer doomXsaloon's Avatar

just finished Vernon God Little....exquisite and entertaining first novel by DBC Pierre....won a shit-ton of awards...never heard of it or him, found the book on library book sale cart....a modern day Huck Finn...right there with Banks' Rule of the Bone.
    "Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." --Alfred de Musset

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    ...except that the story was about brotherly love and sacrifice. It was about friends attracted to each other for who they were, and who loved each other with a self-sacrificial love, not a story about homosexuals unwilling to acknowledge a sexual chemistry. CS Lewis, one of Tolkien's contemporaries and close friends, wrote a book called the Four Loves. I'd commend it to you, especially the section on friendship.

In a modern world where every attraction is considered sexual, or rather, in a world in which our *****graphy culture results in people who are unable to have attractions that aren't sexual, it's no wonder modern readers of Tolkien's classic can't take the story for what it is, and can't understand the story without some kind of homosexual twist that was never intended.
    Ambiguous at best! I'm not convinced but I respect your opinion on the matter. I'm loving the depth of this book discussion though!

Ambiguous at best! I'm not convinced but I respect your opinion on the matter. I'm loving the depth of this book discussion though!
    I'm with Derek on this. I've read pretty much all of Tolkien's work, multiple times, and I've never picked up even a suggestion of a homosexual relationship between any of the characters. Just true friends united by shared hardships.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    I'm with Derek on this. I've read pretty much all of Tolkien's work, multiple times, and I've never picked up even a suggestion of a homosexual relationship between any of the characters. Just true friends united by shared hardships.
    I agree too. Look through the eyes of the culture that wrote it not ours. Many countries in Europe and the middle east, men link arms or hold hands with friends when walking and talking. Doesn't make them homosexual, it's just their culture.

I just started reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It is amazing so far, lots of 80's references in a sci-fi world. It is taking all of my will power not to close the office door and read it all day.

The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast