Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm about to finish Nonfiction: Who Was Dracula?: Bram Stoker's Trail of Blood and Fiction: They Eat Puppies, Don't They? ...

Young Puffer Fish Clevelandpoet's Avatar

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

I'm about to finish Nonfiction: Who Was Dracula?: Bram Stoker's Trail of Blood and Fiction: They Eat Puppies, Don't They? by Christopher Buckley. Who was Dracula has been a very interesting read. I heard the author on Coast to Coast AM and had to check it out. They Eat Puppies is pretty much your typical Christopher Buckley a fun pretty quick read.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by T3Hunter View Post
    Reading the complete collection of Hemingway's short stories. He has some great ones. I as just visiting the ISOM and got to see a couple of his old haunts there. It was amazing sitting in an old bar like that having a rum and a cigar. It takes you back in time and now makes all his stories seem that much more real.
    I'm a huge fan of "Big Two-Hearted River".

Ulysses, though it is slow going, and though I love complex, I prefer Faulkner over Joyce. The good thing is that going in and out of it in short sessions works well enough, with a little overlap rereading and contemplation. I think the main thing is the poetry and rhythm of it, and on that level it certainly satisfies.

Just finished A Place of Execution by Val McDermid. Enjoyable read. Took a while to get off of the ground, but once it got going it moved right along.

I just started The Burn Palace by Stephen Dobyns. The first few pages annoyed the living crap out of me, but as I'm starting to delve into it, I'm liking it. We'll see as time rolls on.

Been on a Gillian Flynn kick lately. Dark places was great.

Now I'm about 20 pages into Joe Hill's latest nos4a2.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan

Young Puffer Fish Clevelandpoet's Avatar

latest haul: Call of Cthulhu & Other Dark Tales by H.P. Lovecraft
    The Antagonist by Lynn Coady
    The Lady and Her Monsters: A Tale of Dissections, Attempts to Reanimate Dead Tissue, and the Writing of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

nos4a2 is definitely on my soon to read list.

Name:  9781101142240_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  24.9 KB
    Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. Given to me by a friend who knows I like cats and SF (although it's fantasy, not SF). Frankly, it was a bit of a disappointment. If you've ever read Watership Down, it's like a cross between that and Tolkien. The problem for Williams is that cats are not rabbits. It sounds silly to say that a fantasy novel doesn't ring true, but it is a bit of a distraction. Not recommended.
    ********.com

I just finished this:

Attachment 77416

Pretty good read that reminded me of Harry Crews
    Last edited by Tobias Lutz; 05-12-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Reading Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. This is one of my favorite books, re-reading it again for the 3rd or 4th time. I think I enjoy this one more than Atlas Shrugged.

Just wrapped NOSA42 (or something like that) by Joe Hill. I'd give it a 3 out of 5. It was overlong and that reduced the tension. At certain points I didnt care anymore and just wanted to get to the end.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Endymion by Dan Simmons in the Hyperion Series. Good but not as good as the first two. Look forward to the next nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    It was overlong and that reduced the tension. At certain points I didnt care anymore and just wanted to get to the end.
    I hate it when a book goes that way- particularly if I've been reading it over a good spread of time. It feels like I needlessly pissed away a chunk of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    I hate it when a book goes that way- particularly if I've been reading it over a good spread of time. It feels like I needlessly pissed away a chunk of my life.
    I hear you, Tobias. It wasnt bad. It was good, at times really good. It's just if they'd cut it from 500 pages to 250, it would have been really good to excellent.

Full grown Puffer Fish OratorORourke's Avatar

I am currently reading The Great Gatsby, again. Wanted to read it again after seeing the commercials for what I hear is a very crappy movie. I read a chapter or two when I smoke on the back patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Merleos View Post
    Ulysses, though it is slow going, and though I love complex, I prefer Faulkner over Joyce. The good thing is that going in and out of it in short sessions works well enough, with a little overlap rereading and contemplation. I think the main thing is the poetry and rhythm of it, and on that level it certainly satisfies.
    I am a fan of both Terry. I actually picked up a HC edition of Ulysses Saturday night and plan on re-reading that next. I couldn't get thru it when I was a younger man.

I also picked up HC editions of Lolita and A Farewell to Arms this weekend!

hey Chris...yes, Ulysses is better after more experience. my wife and I also did a reading group on Finnegans Wake with an expert on Joyce...we did about 25 pages in 5 weeks:, lol...but learned a lot that plays into Ulysses.

Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast