Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Unoriginal Username I'm a big Rollin's fan. I have not read the Solipsis in a few years. ...

Full grown Puffer Fish abgoosht's Avatar

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal Username View Post
    I'm a big Rollin's fan. I have not read the Solipsis in a few years.

I am currently reading Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. I am really getting into his style of writing.
    I have fond memories of Cat's Cradle. If you liked Solipsist, try "Black Coffee Blues." It's very similar in form.
    [SIZE=4]WTT/WTB - A. Fuente Love Story
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cigolle View Post
    I finished Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler. A really nice smoking and reading book, not too hard on the brain but you do have to keep a lot of names and places in check. In general all of his books are good smoke reads. I'm going to try and start reading Micheal Crichtons Airframe again
    I read Atlantis Found about a year ago and thought the book was freaking awesome! I have read a couple other Cussler books, and ultimately haven't enjoyed them as much as the first.

I've been telling myself I need to read more of the classics. I'm trying to make my way through Uncle Tom's Cabin. The book is pretty dry. It is written in an older style where the author explains everything in painstaking detail. Not detail that we want to know, but what color the flowers were, how thick the mud was, etc.

I have to say my absolute favorite I read within the last year was survivor by chuck palniuk. Wow was that a great book!
    "Sometimes you need to stop and smell the maduros "

Puffer Fish with some spikes Theophilus's Avatar

I read John Adams over Christmas break. I picked it up after watching one of the episodes on HBO. It has to be one of the best historical books I've ever read. Now that schools back in session I'm reading Aristotle's Physics, a book about metaethics called The Foundations of Ethics, and Describing Inner Experience which is about what we can really know about ours and others inner experience, or experiences of consciousness.

I'm looking forward to reading Crime and Punishment after school's out.
    "Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued."

- Socrates

Young Puffer Fish Unoriginal Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abgoosht View Post
    I have fond memories of Cat's Cradle. If you liked Solipsist, try "Black Coffee Blues." It's very similar in form.
    BCB is my favorite book of Rollins. I have them all, but the tour diaries may not be for everyone.

Full grown Puffer Fish Colton1106's Avatar

Just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King.. Pretty good book if youare into his style amnd up for an 1100 page read..

Full grown Puffer Fish GentlemanJester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deputy View Post
    Art of War by Sun-tzu
    How's this read?

I've always wanted to pick it up, but I have an unsubstantiated fear that it would be a dull read...

Full grown Puffer Fish reblyell's Avatar

Currently I am on book six of "The Camulod Chronicles" by Jack Whyte. Excellent exploration of an historic King Arthur, set in the late 4th/early 5th centuries shortly after the Romans left Britain.

Before I switched to fiction for a while I had just finished "Sack and Destruction of Columbia, S.C." by William Gilmore Simms. This is an eye witness account of the sack, destruction, and looting of one of the South's previously most beautiful cities by the war criminal Sherman. The author was one of America's preeminent authors of his time.

I also just finished (again) "A View of the Constitution by William Rawle, LL.D 1825 - Secession As Taught at West Point" Edited & Annotated by Walter and James Kennedy.
    Oh I'm a good ol' rebel, now that's just what I am...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Kevin Keith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJester View Post
    How's this read?

I've always wanted to pick it up, but I have an unsubstantiated fear that it would be a dull read...
    It starts off pretty well:

"When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, Grasshopper, it will be time for you to leave."

I'm waiting for the TV series...

Just finished the first book in the Wheel of Time series and am 10 chapters into the 2nd.

Before that I finished off the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood).

How do you like them Lloyd? (WOT)
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Full grown Puffer Fish abgoosht's Avatar

I was reading "everything is illuminated", but I was so taken by Factotum that I put a hold on that, and picked up "Post Office." I almost never read the same author back to back, so next is a fight between "Women"(another Bukowski), Slaughterhouse-five (long past due), or back to everything is illuminated(i'm sure i didn't give it what it deserved)...
    [SIZE=4]WTT/WTB - A. Fuente Love Story
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Magicseven View Post
    How do you like them Lloyd? (WOT)
    I am really enjoying them. It is a good mid ground fantasy. Not too heavy like LoTR, but not to light (Raymond Feist). I really like the "system" of magic.

If your looking for a really good fantasy novel, pick up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing first book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bermac View Post
    I am really enjoying them. It is a good mid ground fantasy. Not too heavy like LoTR, but not to light (Raymond Feist). I really like the "system" of magic.

If your looking for a really good fantasy novel, pick up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing first book.

I just read the name of the wind a few months ago, it's making me mad we have to wait so long for the next book. It sounds like he has a draft done, so there's light at the end of the tunnel.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicseven View Post
    I just read the name of the wind a few months ago, it's making me mad we have to wait so long for the next book. It sounds like he has a draft done, so there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I know. As soon as I finished it, I wanted the next book. I don't normally buy hard covers, but I don't think I will be able to wait.

I am currently reading a book called "Three Cups of Tea". A guy I work with recommended it and it is really good. Hard to put down and just about finished with it.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast