Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Is this fiction or non-fiction? It sounds interresting. Originally Posted by RayJax A little more than half way through Mark ...

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

Is this fiction or non-fiction? It sounds interresting.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJax View Post
    A little more than half way through Mark Bowden's Doctor Dealer.

Pretty good read about a pretty heavy drug dealer in Philly in the 70's into the early 80's.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    Very impressive book -- and not necessarily an easy read. Are you enjoying it? Do you know who Dietrich Bonhoeffer was, what happened to him and how he died? Just curious -- nothing more.
    It is an excellent book. Actually I'm somewhat of an amateur theologian. I sat on the fence about going to seminary, but instead have served as a lay minister within my denomination. Bonhoeffer, Barth, and Moltmann have made up most of my nonfiction reading as of late. When my grandmother passed away the other year I decided to invest some of the money that was left to me in building a library for myself and so this tends to be the vein in which I spend most of my leisure reading.

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Is this fiction or non-fiction? It sounds interresting.
    Non Fiction.

I am a pretty big Mark Bowden fan of course starting with Black Hawk Down. Also have enjoyed Killing Pablo (Pablo Escobar History lesson on steriods!) and Guests of the Ayatollah.

Very admirable. I congratulate you for your service. Being a pastor, chaplain, and a Dr of Theology the library in my office consists of over 2,000 theological books. Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran pastor imprisoned in the Nazi German POW camps basically because of his faith. He struggled with the issue of God's ordaining the governments of the earth vs working to over throw the Nazi government. He was executed in a concentration camp before he was 50 years old. Or right around 50 -- but he was very young. These were deeply personal issues for him -- literally life and death issues that he struggled with during his earthly life as he tried to actively live his faith. I can find out the publisher -- I'm spacing it out at the moment -- think its Fortress Press but I seem to have CRS syndrome tonight -- that has published almost all of Bonhoeffer's works -- including some of his diaries and a biography if you are interested.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    It is an excellent book. Actually I'm somewhat of an amateur theologian. I sat on the fence about going to seminary, but instead have served as a lay minister within my denomination. Bonhoeffer, Barth, and Moltmann have made up most of my nonfiction reading as of late. When my grandmother passed away the other year I decided to invest some of the money that was left to me in building a library for myself and so this tends to be the vein in which I spend most of my leisure reading.

Very admirable. I congratulate you for your service. Being a pastor, chaplain, and a Dr of Theology the library in my office consists of over 2,000 theological books. Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran pastor imprisoned in the Nazi German POW camps basically because of his faith. He struggled with the issue of God's ordaining the governments of the earth vs working to over throw the Nazi government. He was executed in a concentration camp before he was 50 years old. Or right around 50 -- but he was very young. These were deeply personal issues for him -- literally life and death issues that he struggled with during his earthly life as he tried to actively live his faith. I can find out the publisher -- I'm spacing it out at the moment -- think its Fortress Press but I seem to have CRS syndrome tonight -- that has published almost all of Bonhoeffer's works -- including some of his diaries and a biography if you are interested.

Michael
    Yes- he was only 39 and it is indeed Fortress that is finishing translating much of his work. Unfortunately it has a VERY high price tag of $60-$80 per volume. I might be wrong, but I believe they were going to create a digital edition which would be much more affordable, but I have yet to crack and buy an e-reader as of yet. I'm holding out as long as possible I remember debating it when I bought Barth's complete Church Dogmatics, but I couldn't quite muster the desire to pull the trigger on it.

Are all of these works non-fiction? They certainly sound interedting.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJax View Post
    Non Fiction.

I am a pretty big Mark Bowden fan of course starting with Black Hawk Down. Also have enjoyed Killing Pablo (Pablo Escobar History lesson on steriods!) and Guests of the Ayatollah.

Theological books aren't cheap new -- and you would be lucky to find any Bonhoeffer used. Those who buy his works tend to hang on to them. Not sure about the digital version. I do have the Libronix system and some works are available through them -- but they aren't that much less. Still he is worth reading and thinking about. I commend you on your studies and encourage you to continue. If you have a PC and haven't checked out Libronix -- I encourage you to do so. I have a couple thousand additional books on my PC through their offerings. Takes up a lot less shelf space!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    Yes- he was only 39 and it is indeed Fortress that is finishing translating much of his work. Unfortunately it has a VERY high price tag of $60-$80 per volume. I might be wrong, but I believe they were going to create a digital edition which would be much more affordable, but I have yet to crack and buy an e-reader as of yet. I'm holding out as long as possible I remember debating it when I bought Barth's complete Church Dogmatics, but I couldn't quite muster the desire to pull the trigger on it.

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Are all of these works non-fiction? They certainly sound interedting.
    All of the titles I listed are Non Fiction.

I recommend Black HawK Down to anyone regardless if you have seen the movie or not!

StraightUpCigars.com Straight Up Cigars's Avatar

A Walk in the Woods by Bryson. Great book so far!
    Cigar reviews and info at StraightUpCigars.com!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Kook's Avatar

I got the entire Sherlock Holmes collection on my kindle for $.99. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through them.

CS Lewis. Mere Christianity

Finally got around to reading the Steve Jobs biography, I'm a bit of a fanboy.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Kook's Avatar

Very sad that see that Vince Flynn passed away yesterday. I really enjoyed his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Kook View Post
    Very sad that see that Vince Flynn passed away yesterday. I really enjoyed his books.
    I had no idea. His books were among the most exciting i've ever read. Whenever I go out of town on business, my wife gets nervous about being along and I assure her that Mitch Rapp is looking out for her.

Win
    Puffer Fish with some spikes Win's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Up Cigars View Post
    A Walk in the Woods by Bryson. Great book so far!
    Bryson is fun to read, that's a great book.

I get on kicks and lately it's about the history of SE Utah. If you like a mystery and are interested in North America's original settlers read "in Search of the Old Ones" by David Roberts. The Anasazi settled the Four Corner area and lived there for hundreds of years and vanished in 1300 AD.

Win

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast