Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; latest pickups from the library: The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of ...

Young Puffer Fish Clevelandpoet's Avatar

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

latest pickups from the library:

The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe.
    Hip: The History
    The Griff: A Graphic Novel
    “There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” ― Vincent van Gogh

Just stated reading Kokoda by Peter Fitzsimons.
    Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.

Just finished Scott's Last Expedition, Scott's diaries kept on the ill-fated Terra Nova expedition. It's a very affecting at the end as you imagine the utterly appalling condition they must have been in.

On a positive note it's also an incredible story of endurance and leadership. Well worth a read.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Sixspeedsam's Avatar

Over vacation I finished Matthew Berry's new book Fantasy Life. Easy read and hilarious at points, especially if you're a Fantasy nut you'll relate.

The other book was one that was sitting on the shelf in our cabin that someone had left. I was bored, it won a bunch of praise and awards, I figured what the hell. It was The Art of Fielding. Hard to describe this novel ... part baseball, part coming of age ... I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely not in the genres I usually read, but I burned through it pretty quick.

Win
    Puffer Fish with some spikes Win's Avatar

OK, now I'm getting to really like my Kindle. This time of year I sit outside around 6:30-7:00 in the evening, take a smoke and read for an hour or so. At first I wasn't to sure I'd like it but now I've reached a comfort zone it's really nice to use.

Last read was "Night Fall" by Nelson DeMille, a pretty good Summer read, didn't like the ending, too contrived. I really like his "Plum Island". Night Fall is about TWA 800 and I passed through the search zone shortly after it blew up. We saw a seat cushion floating and to this day I think about the poor soul that occupied it.

Win

Young Puffer Fish Clevelandpoet's Avatar

in a fit of nostalgia I borrowed Don Quixote for my nook. I sort of look forward to some deck reading with a cigar and some whiskey.
    “There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.” ― Vincent van Gogh

Maturing Puffer Fish

The Count of Monte Cristo is my all time favorite book. I've named my dogs over the years Jacopo, Luigi Vampa and Edmond Dantes after the characters in it.
    I'm also a big W.E.B. Griffin fan

Win
    Puffer Fish with some spikes Win's Avatar

A friend sent me an article about a boating accident that took place in 1951, the sinking of the fishing boat Pelican. I boated the waters of NJ and NY for years so this incident peaked my curiosity and led me to: "Dark Noon" by Tom Clavin. This book had me sweating, what a story about a real tragedy. I experienced a bad day off Montauk, NY and this brought back vivid memories.

Just finished Judgement of Paris a book about the famous 1976 wine tasting between US & France.

Last week I finished Stephen king's Doctor Sleep.

I loved it and its one of his best.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan

Recently read With the Lightnings by David Drake and am now reading the sequel, Lt. Leary, Commanding. Pretty good military SF.
    ********.com

On to Green Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Similar to Red Mars in that I had a hard time getting into it, but after fifty pages or so, it's off to the races...
    ********.com

Just read Darwin's Child by David E. Carter. I don't generally like fiction, but finished this in one sitting. Starting volume two (of 3) in the Complete Calvin and Hobbes boxed set. I'd been wanting this for years. Got it in hardcover cheap from an Amazon vendor.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Just started reading Tom Clancy's patriot games.
    Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by beercritic View Post
    Starting volume two (of 3) in the Complete Calvin and Hobbes boxed set. I'd been wanting this for years.
    That's awesome! I have 7 or 8 of the paperback collections from the 90s. Fantastic stuff

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast