Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

What are you reading? / What did you read last?

This is a discussion on What are you reading? / What did you read last? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by StratSlinger Agreed... I'm pretty sure I suffered through that other Vampire series. The things we do for ...

Re: What are you reading? / What did you read last?

Quote Originally Posted by StratSlinger View Post
    Agreed... I'm pretty sure I suffered through that other Vampire series. The things we do for our wives...

You're coming into WOT at a pretty good time - we're probably about 18 months away from actually reading the end of the story. I've thought for years it was going to go 13 books, looks like I was one off.
    I am looking forward to see how everything ties together. Not that I'm in a rush to finish off the series, but there's always at least a dozen books on my list to read. I think I will hit a few stand alone books before I get onto another big series again.

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

I know what you mean... I was almost done reading the Dune series before I realized that the author died before he could finish it, and I found the "completion" of the series written by his kid and one of the biggest SF hacks around just damn near unreadable. Then Jordan up and dies on us before he could finish WOT, I'm just glad the guy who's finishing it off has done it justice - there are more than a few spots in book 12 that just send chills down the spine.

I started to get into George RR Martin's work before it became painfully obvious that he's just not interested in moving ahead with that series any more... Serious - check out his website sometime, and see what he says about the next book in that series - one that was supposedly all but complete 5 or 6 years ago. I pretty much refuse to start reading any more "serious" series that aren't already completed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by StratSlinger View Post
    I know what you mean... I was almost done reading the Dune series before I realized that the author died before he could finish it, and I found the "completion" of the series written by his kid and one of the biggest SF hacks around just damn near unreadable. Then Jordan up and dies on us before he could finish WOT, I'm just glad the guy who's finishing it off has done it justice - there are more than a few spots in book 12 that just send chills down the spine.

I started to get into George RR Martin's work before it became painfully obvious that he's just not interested in moving ahead with that series any more... Serious - check out his website sometime, and see what he says about the next book in that series - one that was supposedly all but complete 5 or 6 years ago. I pretty much refuse to start reading any more "serious" series that aren't already completed anymore.
    Ya, GRRM is a great author, but just doesn't seem to care any more.

Check out The Name of the Wind. 1st of a 3 book series. Great story.

Just finshed The Warded man and the Desert spear.

If you enjoy fantasy/sci fi you would love it. Very good books.

Ryan and lloyld we both seems to read a lot of the same stuff. Check these out.\

Right now working on Pirate Latitudes (Michael Crichton) and listening to the Percy Jackson books.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes bigslowrock's Avatar

I'm in the last book of the baroque cycle by Neal Stephenson

Ya it seems like it. Ever try the Dresdon Files? I have the first 4 waiting on my shelf.

What are the Percy Jackson books like?

I've got most of the Dresden files in audiobooks. Hope to start listening to them soon.

Ever read any c.s. Friedman? She (I think she anyway) has one really cool trilogy. Kinda straddles the line between fantsy and sf - though mire on the fantasy side. Very cool magic system, neat characters, very cool story overall. First one is black sun rising.

Leading Puffer Fish swingerofbirches's Avatar

Just picked up Off To The Side: A Memoir by Jim Harrison ... only a couple of pages in and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap copy of Dark Waters by Russell Chatham for my next read ...
    "The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places." - Hemingway

I'm currently reading Journey to the Center of the Earth again.

Nice. Its always good to go back to a classic.

I'm still moving thru the WOT. Now on book 10. Still very enjoyable.

Has anyone read "If Chins Could Kill, Confessions of a B-movie Actor"?

If not and you like anything Bruce Campbell has done, go buy it now!

Puffer Fish with some spikes saigon68's Avatar

Tolkien series, "Lord of the Rings Trilogy". Read this several times. It's fantastic. Went to a book signing a received a signed copy of "The Lion" by Nelson Demille. Gracious fella, we have something in common: he was in Vietnam same time I was. As he is a member of Mensa (off the chart IQ's), I asked him how he got his ass shipped off to Vietnam? He laughed & said he was a bored 21 yr. old. You may be very intelligent but in his case common sense was evidently lacking. Just sayin'
    Common sense is rarely common.

Lloyd, sounds like you're pretty much on pace to be ready for book 13 almost exactly when it comes out!

Actually, I just spotted something that said book 13 has been pushed back to November. Considering how Sanderson has been talking about the progress he plans to make, I'm not optimistic about what pushing the date back actually means...

Book 10 has some great moments, IIRC. Perrin has at least one "Holy sh!^" scene that really stood out for me. Maybe the beginning of rescuing his character - he was far and away my favorite character ofter Shadow Rising, but he quickly just became to whiney for me to like.

Also, when you make the transition from the last Jordan-written book to the first Sanderson one, be prepared for a couple character changes. Most are very subtle and work alright. But Mat is downright jarring for the first chapter or two.

I just finished War, by Sebastian Junger and Horse Soildiers by Doug Stanton (both great books) and needed a change of pace so I just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larssen

Just finishing up The Shadow Rising, Book 4 of the Wheel of Time books, loved every page so far.

Ive also read every book in Fiests Magician series, havent started the Demonwar Saga yet though, been saving that for my Holiday.

Lee - That was my favorite book in the series, for a lot of years!

While it's not strictly reading, it's still books: I'm listening to the audiobooks of Dan Simmon's Hyperion series. I'm into book 3 now, "Endymion". The first two were fantastic - Simmons created a really interesting universe in which to tell his story, and he basically uses all of the first book, "Hyperion," to explain that universe through a series of vignettes. Very cool stuff. But if you read/listen to this book, make sure you have a copy of book 2, "The Fall of Hyperion," handy. Book 1 doesn't so much end as run out of space - the overarching plot that ties the vignettes to comes to a head at the end of the book, and then the book ends without resolving it - book 2 is entirely about that resolution.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast