Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

History Buffs

This is a discussion on History Buffs within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; For historical fiction, I think the Aubrey / Maturin novels by Patrick O' Brian are in a class by themselves...start ...

  
  1. #16

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hoplophile's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    For historical fiction, I think the Aubrey / Maturin novels by Patrick O' Brian are in a class by themselves...start with Master and Commander and work through the rest of them. These are genuine literature and very rewarding.

    Cheers,
    G
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. - C.S. Lewis

  2. #17

    Full grown Puffer Fish Aquinas's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Anyone read "Band of Brothers"?

  3. #18

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish youngstogiesmoker's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
    Anyone read "Band of Brothers"?
    My brother has the book, haven't got around to reading it yet though. I think my dad liked it a good bit.
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

  4. #19

    Full grown Puffer Fish Aquinas's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Im curious if its as good as the dvd series. I am distantly related to one of the original guys.

  5. #20

    CRT #1984, CRA #99974873 szyzk's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    I know this is an old thread but "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase For Lincoln's Killer" and "Bloody Crimes: The Chase For Jefferson Davis And The Death Pageant For Lincoln's Corpse", both by James Swanson, are incredible.

  6. #21

    Young Puffer Fish Robmye's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    You are so right about both books! I even have the 2 of them on audio books. Great listening while behind the wheel. Other great Lincoln books: "Lincoln's Melancholy", "Team of Rivals", "Lincoln at Gettysburg". Somewhat related, the best book on John Brown: "Patriotic Treason". Don't forget your Howard Zinn. For a brief but enlightening look at the Middle Ages, see William Manchester's "A World Lit by Fire". And you will thoroughly enjoy any of Eric Larsen's books ("Devil in the White City", etc.).
    "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again!"

  7. #22

    Alpha Puffer Fish Bunker's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    I read almost all of Stephen Ambrose's (Band of Brothers) stuff a few years ago. They can get a little tedious at times but well worth the time.

    I would also suggest:

    James Bradley - "Flyboys" and "Flags of our Fathers"

    A little more current:

    Lone Survivor - Markus Lutrell

    Doug Stanton - Horse Soldiers

    Sebastian Junger - War

  8. #23

    CRT #1984, CRA #99974873 szyzk's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Robmye View Post
    You are so right about both books! I even have the 2 of them on audio books. Great listening while behind the wheel. Other great Lincoln books: "Lincoln's Melancholy", "Team of Rivals", "Lincoln at Gettysburg". Somewhat related, the best book on John Brown: "Patriotic Treason". Don't forget your Howard Zinn. For a brief but enlightening look at the Middle Ages, see William Manchester's "A World Lit by Fire". And you will thoroughly enjoy any of Eric Larsen's books ("Devil in the White City", etc.).
    I'm taking your list to the library tonight! Thanks for the suggestions!

  9. #24

    Young Puffer Fish Robmye's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    I'm taking your list to the library tonight! Thanks for the suggestions!
    I'm gratified! When I saw the books you cited, I thought I had found a kindred soul! I'll do some homework and put together a little list at home tonight and send it on to you! I have a degree in English literature (back in the stone(d) age - 1969) but often wished I had majored in history. Anyway, my deepest respect to those who still actually read. There is a new, indispensable book about the negative effect of the digital age on reading - not just our reading habits, but how we literally think - or don't think - the measurable impact on our neurobiology! It's called "The Shallows". (Can you tell I never remember the damned authors!) Read deeply, my friend, read deeply!
    "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again!"

  10. #25

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish youngstogiesmoker's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    I read almost all of Stephen Ambrose's (Band of Brothers) stuff a few years ago. They can get a little tedious at times but well worth the time.

    I would also suggest:

    James Bradley - "Flyboys" and "Flags of our Fathers"

    A little more current:

    Lone Survivor - Markus Lutrell

    Doug Stanton - Horse Soldiers

    Sebastian Junger - War
    My dad has read a ton of ambrose, loves him. And i actually got lone survivor, fly boys, and flags of our fathers for christmas...cant wait to crack them open!!
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

  11. #26

    CRT #1984, CRA #99974873 szyzk's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Robmye View Post
    I'm gratified! When I saw the books you cited, I thought I had found a kindred soul! I'll do some homework and put together a little list at home tonight and send it on to you! I have a degree in English literature (back in the stone(d) age - 1969) but often wished I had majored in history. Anyway, my deepest respect to those who still actually read. There is a new, indispensable book about the negative effect of the digital age on reading - not just our reading habits, but how we literally think - or don't think - the measurable impact on our neurobiology! It's called "The Shallows". (Can you tell I never remember the damned authors!) Read deeply, my friend, read deeply!
    Ah, another kind BOTL with a useless literature degree on Puff. Hark! A new age of enlightenment begins.

    Please do send me names, I never have enough books on tap.

  12. #27

    Young Puffer Fish Robmye's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    Ah, another kind BOTL with a useless literature degree on Puff. Hark! A new age of enlightenment begins.

    Please do send me names, I never have enough books on tap.
    Are you in possession of one of these? Useless, yes, but only from a worldly point of view. Literature is a passion, making a living is just making a living. I've been much better at the former and pretty retarded at the latter!
    "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again!"

  13. #28

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Big Rick's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    I have really enjoyed the works of Edward Rutherfurd. Sarum is still the best historical fiction I have ever read with The Forest and London following closely.

    New York and Russka are quality reads too.

  14. #29

    Young Puffer Fish Robmye's Avatar


     

    Re: History Buffs

    Quote Originally Posted by youngstogiesmoker View Post
    my dad has read a ton of ambrose, loves him. And i actually got lone survivor, fly boys, and flags of our fathers for christmas...cant wait to crack them open!!
    a more recent book by james bradley is absolutely essential. Blows the lid off of the teddy roosevelt myth and our white supremecist, aryan nation past (and present). One chilling tidbit: Water-boarding didn't begin in iraq. Teddy used it to "save" the "oriental negroes" in the philipines. Used it on thousands of victims. They called it "the water cure" and even sang a military marching song extoling its virtues. The book is thoroughly and meticulously documented. The facts are unassailable. We have been an imperialistic, racist nation from the beginning. Undoing this legacy will take a long, long time, as well as great courage from our leaders and ourselves.
    "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again!"

  15. #30

    Puffer Fish with some spikes


     

    Re: History Buffs

    I read Hannibal the Carthaginian general, I am trying to read a book a about Rasputin, the mad monk. Rasputin isn't too bad, but it is not leeping my attention as I had hoped it would.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •