Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

History Buffs

This is a discussion on History Buffs within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; i was wondering if we had any historical novel readers like myself roming the forums. My personal favorites are: The ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish youngstogiesmoker's Avatar

History Buffs

i was wondering if we had any historical novel readers like myself roming the forums.

My personal favorites are:
    The Winning of America Series by Allan Eckert
    --collection of 6 books that he's put massive amounts of research into. these books take you right back to the days of the frontier.

the Civil War trilogy and WWII trilogy by micheal and jeff shaara.
    --6 great books that tell the wars like a story

what are some of your favorites??

Full grown Puffer Fish reblyell's Avatar

Re: History Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by youngstogiesmoker View Post
    i was wondering if we had any historical novel readers like myself roming the forums.

My personal favorites are:
    The Winning of America Series by Allan Eckert
    --collection of 6 books that he's put massive amounts of research into. these books take you right back to the days of the frontier.

the Civil War trilogy and WWII trilogy by micheal and jeff shaara.
    --6 great books that tell the wars like a story

what are some of your favorites??
    Right now I am on book six of nine of "The Camulod Chronicles" by Jack Whyte

I have read the Shaara series on the War for Southern Independence. Good books as long as you remember that they are more of "historical fiction" than history.
    Oh I'm a good ol' rebel, now that's just what I am...

The Killer Angels
    The Passing of the Armies
    Robert E. Lee on Leadership
    Benjamin Franklin: An American Life...
    What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by reblyell View Post
    Good books as long as you remember that they are more of "historical fiction" than history.
    I know, but you can learn a thing two about history through them.

And thats what I love about Allan Eckert books, they're huge, nonfiction, and read like a novel.
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

Full grown Puffer Fish reblyell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by youngstogiesmoker View Post
    I know, but you can learn a thing two about history through them.

And thats what I love about Allan Eckert books, they're huge, nonfiction, and read like a novel.
    You'd be amazed at how many people think those books and movies are accurate history.

I haven't read any Eckert, but I know what you mean.

The main characters in the series I am reading now prob. never existed but the view into that time period is absolutely amazing. The author spent years doing research before he ever started to write anything.
    Oh I'm a good ol' rebel, now that's just what I am...

Quote Originally Posted by reblyell View Post
    The author spent years doing research before he ever started to write anything.
    that right there is why I love reading Eckert, and just history in general. For eckert's book you gotta have 2 book marks, one for the story and one for the footnotes which are just as interesting and amazing.

I see your from florida and i wish i had read an eckert book based down there so I could recommend it to you. I will recommend That Dark and Bloody River or A Sorrow in Our Hearts, that second one spends sometime down south.
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

Puffer Fish with some spikes bbrodnax's Avatar

I am more into reading presidential bio's, but one book that I recommend to all who are interested in american history is "A Land As God Made It-Jamestown and the Birth of America." It is roughly 300 pages, but an excellent read that wil take you back to where it started.

Full grown Puffer Fish GentlemanJester's Avatar

Actually History: Right now I'm reading is "The Wehrmact", parts are hard to get through, but very good.

Historical Fiction: Just finished the "Honor Bound" series by W.E.B. Griffin. It was great, can't wait to read some more of his stuff.
    Be it a Opus X or a Swisher Sweet, if you like it, smoke it. Cause it's all about the ride!

Finished "1776" a while back, In college I read Sledge's "Out with the old breeb" which HBO loosely based The Pacific Off. I'll have to write everyone list and check them out.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to get drunk in order to spend time with his friends" ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJester View Post
    Actually History: Right now I'm reading is "The Wehrmact", parts are hard to get through, but very good.

Historical Fiction: Just finished the "Honor Bound" series by W.E.B. Griffin. It was great, can't wait to read some more of his stuff.
    my dad and uncle both love w.e.b griffen but I've just never picked one up...may have to in the near future.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

I enjoy the writings of David McCullough.I started with Mornings on Horseback (Teddy Rosevelt) and have since read his collection just finished 1776
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

Leading Puffer Fish swingerofbirches's Avatar

One of my favorite WWII books (reads somewhat like a novel in structure, although, not an easy one) is "Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945" by Catherin Merridale.
    Fantastic book ... the insight into pre-war and wartime Russian psychology and sociology (and socio-economically) was mind-blowing. The Eastern Theatre of WWII seems to be largely under-discussed and this book is a great example of just how much information is out there just waiting to be learned.

"Stalingrad" and "The Fall of Berlin" are both good books by Antony Beevor. (the WWII geeks in here should start another thread so that I can argue with even more people about the notion that the defense of Moscow was the turning point for the Russians in WWII rather then Stalingrad ... LOL)

"Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills" by Charles Henderson is another good one.

Good thread!
    "The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken places." - Hemingway

Leading Puffer Fish BigBuddha76's Avatar

Saint Patrick's Battalion: A Novel

great book historically accurate fiction
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

I enjoyed To Try Men's Souls and The Killer Angels both quite a bit. But I have to admit to being drawn more by modern (WWII-present) military history than I am hisorical novels per se.

It's been a while, but I'd have to say my favorite history book is still Summer of the Gods by Edward J. Larsen, a study of the Scopes Monkey Trial and those involved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast