Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Bukowski, what side are you on?

This is a discussion on Bukowski, what side are you on? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Any one here a fan of Charles Bukowski? A friend just told me about him. Picked it up the other ...

Full grown Puffer Fish abgoosht's Avatar

Bukowski, what side are you on?

Any one here a fan of Charles Bukowski? A friend just told me about him. Picked it up the other day. From what I hear he's got quite the following, all the book shops in town claim that his used copies hardly get a half-day rest on the shelves. They are picked up asap. Of course that doesn't mean everyone feels the same...
    So I want to here all the goods and bads! Throw 'em out there ladies and gents!
    [SIZE=4]WTT/WTB - A. Fuente Love Story
    [/SIZE]

Re: Bukowski, what side are you on?

Post Office, Ham on Rye, Women and Factotum are all REALLY good novels. Buc is a love or hate kinda writer. Really gruff, vulgar, and plain but funny as hell and about the most truthful gutsy novelist I've ever read. Lots of whores, sex, TONS of alcohol. The man drank like an absolute fish. Did I mention alcohol? And whores?

His poetry was his bread and butter for the most of his career, and just about all of it is worth picking up if you like it. I love everything he's done, but it's not for everybody.

If you have to get a new copy, most barnes and nobels sell his books. You can either read the novels in the order he wrote them, or in cronology of his life (they're all really autobiographies, though they're certainly embellished with a bit of fiction here and there). If you want to start with his first novel, got with Post Office. It will show you where he began as a novelist. If you want to go with the life cronology, start with Ham on Rye. It's probably my favorite.

Enjoy him, and make sure to have plenty of wine, whiskey, and cheap beer on hand while reading to get you in the mood. If it seems too vulgar or alcohol soaked, drink until it's funny!

I read "Run with the Hunted" a while ago which is an anthology ordered in the sequence of his life to make a sort of pseudo-autobiography. I really enjoyed it.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Check out the documentary "Born Into This."

It's phenomenal.
    Do you ever get down on your knees and thank God that you know me and have access to my dementia?

They did a film adaptation of Factotum with Matt Dillon, it is enjoyable.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

I'm actually reading Factotum as my first Bukowski, hope that doesn't ruin any of his other work, due to being out of order. I got my hand on a copy of Women from half price books. But I really don't like reading the same author in a row, I have an idea for my next read, but of course it's not set in stone...

I really enjoy talking to you guys about books!
    [/SIZE]

Factotum won't ruin a thing. I don't think it's neccesary to read them in any particular order at all, and that's a great first Buk read! Definitely find the Factotum movie and watch it after reading. It was very well done in my opinion, and Matt Dillon is actually tolerable in it. You'll find yourself remembering things and anticipating the next scene of debauchery! Try taking a drink every time they do in the flick if you want to take the fast train to the drunk tank. LOL

well i don't drink, but this is certainly a good read!
    [/SIZE]

Buk is one of my favorite writers. Set aside the booze, women, and racetrack and you have a guy who had a sharp sense of humor, unique perspective on life, and an inner toughness that most people would pay money for.

I actually have a couple numbered Black Sparrow first editions. Stuff that was published after his death - some correspondences with a girl named Sherri Martinelli and a book of unpublished poetry that he left behind so that his wife would be secure after his death. One of these days I'll figure out what to do with them.

South Of No North is a great short story collection as is Shakespeare Never Did This. :

Dillon was good and Factotum was a decent flick but Barfly starring Mickey Rourke was better. Buk was really happy with Rourke playing him. The novel Hollywood is about the making of that movie.

Far as audio stuff goes, Hostage is pretty funny. Out of an hour I think he spends 20 mins reading and the other 40 berating and teasing the crowd.

I love the dirty old man, I identify with his writing quite a bit. One of these days he'll get his due from the academic world. Not that what they say matters any.

Read quite a bit of his work a ways back, and all of the greats have been mentioned: Post Office, Factotum, Women, etc. Agree with flux that Barfly is the better of the two films, and has one of my favorite lines:

Barfly (Faye Dunaway, no less): "Tell me, do you hate people?"
    Bukowski: "Nah, nah, I just seem to feel better when they're not around."

Gotta love him. And speaking of academia, I love his little vignettes when he talks about doing readings on college campuses. I think he has a way of sweeping away the bullshit and trying to get at the heart of trying to exist in a world that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JakeDPR's Avatar

I am a huge Bukowski fan, both his poetry and novels. Him and Kurt Vonnegut are probably my two favorite authors currently.