Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Kurt Vonnegut, what side are you on?

This is a discussion on Kurt Vonnegut, what side are you on? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Cat's Cradle, Slaugherhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions! We've heard about them, but how much do you really like his work? Let ...

Full grown Puffer Fish abgoosht's Avatar

Kurt Vonnegut, what side are you on?

Cat's Cradle, Slaugherhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions! We've heard about them, but how much do you really like his work? Let it all out, from the stalker-type fans to the big-time-haters!
    [SIZE=4]WTT/WTB - A. Fuente Love Story
    [/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Dan-Hur's Avatar

Re: Kurt Vonnegut, what side are you on?

I read both Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five and all I can really say is meh. To me, he seems like one of those authors that people like just to be considered part of an "in" crowd. There were parts of both books that I liked, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Since I haven't read any other of his books, I won't condemn all of them, but both CC and SH5 seemed like Mary-Sues to me.

I consider Vonnegut to be the best writer of the last half of the twentieth century. I guess that makes me a fan...

I read Slaughterhouse and some of his stuff in college 20+ years ago.

I was never compelled to look for his other work like I was with Steinbeck, Hemmingway and the like (of which I think I have read everything)

Full grown Puffer Fish

While I would not say I fall on the stalker side of fandom, I think Vonnegut is a great writer. The quality of his writing is top flight and I think his imagination is compelling.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Hur View Post
    I read both Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five and all I can really say is meh. To me, he seems like one of those authors that people like just to be considered part of an "in" crowd. There were parts of both books that I liked, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Since I haven't read any other of his books, I won't condemn all of them, but both CC and SH5 seemed like Mary-Sues to me.
    Agreed.

Puffer Fish with some spikes JasonI's Avatar

I've only read part of Slaughterhouse Five and it's the only book I put back unfinished this year. I got about halfway and just couldn't force myself to read it anymore. I guess I'm just not a fan.
    I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God before I go to bed tonight. - C. H. Spurgeon

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Alpedhuez55's Avatar

I'm somewhere in the middle. I enjoy his books a lot, but not the the point of stalkerdom.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Young Puffer Fish

I had Slaughterhouse Five as my pipe-book, the book I would read while sitting on my porch smoking a pipe. Then the weather turned, and I haven't gotten back to the book. I should probably take that as an indication of a lack of interest in the book, but I'm stubborn; I hate leaving a book unfinished, and I'll pick this one up and finish it. I suppose part of what drives me on is the way I find his short stories compelling in a way I've never gotten from his novels; I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I consider Vonnegut to be the best writer of the last half of the twentieth century. I guess that makes me a fan...
    This is me, too. Mother Night is my favorite book of all time (and a great one to read for those who might not appreciate Vonnegut's sci-fi-ish writing). It's post-WWII historical fiction.

Here's my list of favorite authors, for what it's worth:

Mark Twain
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Bret Easton Ellis
    Douglas Adams
    Chuck Palahniuk
    J.R.R. Tolkien
    (And if Neil Gaiman's other books are as good as American Gods, he'll be on the list soon too.)

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTree View Post
    Mother Night is my favorite book of all time (and a great one to read for those who might not appreciate Vonnegut's sci-fi-ish writing). It's post-WWII historical fiction.
    I'll have to check it out. I'll finish Slaughterhouse Five, but so far it just isn't grabbing me.
    (And if Neil Gaiman's other books are as good as American Gods, he'll be on the list soon too.)
    I'd recommend checking out Anansi Boys, and the Graveyard Book, though I have to say some of my favourite Gaiman writing was in his comics.

Read a handful. Kinda a love 'em or hate 'em kinda writer. I'd say I'm a fan but not a stalker. +1 to Mother Night.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

They are and he should be.

I agree about Mother Night. Just an incredible book with probably the most fascinating development of a main character I've ever seen.