Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

The Worst

This is a discussion on The Worst within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I you have ever finished reading a book and thought to yourself, "there's several hours of my life I'll never ...

The Worst

I you have ever finished reading a book and thought to yourself, "there's several hours of my life I'll never get back" or "I wonder how many IQ points that cost me", then post it here.

I'll start with "Still Life With Woodpecker" by Tom Robbins. I have no idea why I even finished reading it. Glutton for punishment I guess.

I'll add more as I think of them.

What's your worst reads?

Puffer Fish with some spikes contract's Avatar

Re: The Worst

"Sleepers" just watche the movie, it was exactly the same

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I used to be a voracious reader but am really picky now. I took speed reading courses in college and can read a book in about an hour which is nice if you come across a real yawner. If the book is really good I slow it down and digest it like a good meal or,,,you guessed it,,a good cigar. I tend to read reviews on books that look appealing and then read the reviews on people I know are really good at reviewing them and take their lead. So many years later I can't remember the last bad book. Now movies, there are tons of those that I wish I could get those hours back.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Young Puffer Fish Giantsbran1227's Avatar

Sleepers was a good book and movie

Puffer Fish with some spikes bbrodnax's Avatar

"Mob Lawyer'...about the life of Frank Ragano, who was Santo Trafficante's lawyer. I really thought it would be interesting but I was mistaken.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes bigslowrock's Avatar

Grabbed the latest Grisham paperback (The Associate) while stuck in an airport a couple months ago. This is literally one of the worst books that I've ever read. I'm not sure how the publisher let this go out under his name. Avoid at any cost!!!

I don't know about the worst, but I remember being thoroughly un-impressed by STATE OF FEAR by Michael Chrichton.

Leading Puffer Fish BigBuddha76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    I'll start with "Still Life With Woodpecker" by Tom Robbins. I have no idea why I even finished reading it. Glutton for punishment I guess.
    I agree with the Still life with woodpecker...damn crappy book

Tom Robbins latest book wasnt all that bad
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

Leading Puffer Fish BigBuddha76's Avatar

Heyduke Lives, by Edward Abbey
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

What stands out in my mind is The Catcher in the Rye. No, it's not the worst book I've ever read, but in a quality vs reputation, it is by far the worst. Maybe if I'd read it as a snot-nosed kid myself I would have appreciated it, but if you find yourself in your forties and haven't read it yet, do yourself a favor and pass it by!

"Hannibal" by Thomas Harris

As bad as Silence of the Lambs was good. I remember literally throwing to across the room a few times but I still finished it.

amnesiac with deja vu Nurse_Maduro's Avatar

Breach of Trust, by DiAnn Mills. It was free for Kindle, and it still cost too much. I read about a third of it, realized I wasn't getting any younger, and deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse_Maduro View Post
    I read about a third of it, realized I wasn't getting any younger, and deleted it.
    You know, at one time I felt obligated to finish any book I started, no matter how painful. I wish I could remember the first book that led me to get over that; I guess a thank you note to the author wouldn't really be welcomed, but still, I'm grateful!

Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. And that won a Man Booker Prize Award!

I you have ever finished reading a book and thought to yourself, "there's several hours of my life I'll never get back" or "I wonder how many IQ points that cost me", then post it here.

What's your worst reads?

What's your worst reads?
    I read VERY little fiction. I really enjoy Vonnegut and Tom Robbins. Didn't much care for "Still Life With Woodpecker". "Another Roadside Attraction" and "Jitterbug Perfume" were so wonderful I had to read very slowly, do absorb the sheer poetry in his wordings

Joe.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.