Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

B&N Nook

This is a discussion on B&N Nook within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; IMHO, not Nook color is a waste. It isn't an e-reader, it is a tablet computer. If you want a ...

the understanding wife BOTLwife's Avatar

Re: B&N Nook

IMHO, not Nook color is a waste. It isn't an e-reader, it is a tablet computer. If you want a true e-reader, get the original nook...you can read newspapers and magazines on the original one, I had a subscription to the Times for awhile.

Just my opnion...plus the whoel eye strain issue.

I got a nook last year, before the color nook was announced >_>

Regardless, I love my nook. Don't let B&M bookstore owners know you have one though! I got a pretty thorough tongue lashing from one due to my nook being the "decline of booksellers" etc.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Alpedhuez55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UIVandal View Post
    I got a nook last year, before the color nook was announced >_>

Regardless, I love my nook. Don't let B&M bookstore owners know you have one though! I got a pretty thorough tongue lashing from one due to my nook being the "decline of booksellers" etc.
    B&M Book sellers are going the way of record stores. The one remaining record store in my town is about to close. The book store is still open, but whenever I am there, I seem to be the only one in the shop.

There is no eye strain on the non color Nooks. There is a little flicker when you turn a page but that is about it. It doesn't glare either. You can adjust the font size and you do not need to hold it open. I have mine on a stand at work and I just touch the screen to turn the page. I was not sure if I would like it. I bought it figuring I could return it if I don't like it. But I am enjoying it a lot more than expected.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

I have never used an e book but have downloaded some older books to my laptop. These readers do appeal to me. The questions I have are, do these things crash with the possibility of losing books you may have purchased , is there a way to backup your stored books.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Elder Puffer Fish Leader taltos's Avatar

I bought a Nook Color on December 2, 2010 after being released from 8 weeks in the hospital. For me an ereader was useful since I could not physically hold a real book (had an arterial bypass in my right leg and 3 strokes). The nook saved my life as far as reading, I could keep multiple books and the Bible with me at all times. I now own 2 nooks, a color and a first edition and I love them both. The poster who made negative comments about the Nook Color needs to use one before she makes more uneducated comments. Her comments were made before the Nook Color was readably available but God bless her.

Paul
    Til the end like a friend stands by you again,
    And I wouldn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I have never used an e book but have downloaded some older books to my laptop. These readers do appeal to me. The questions I have are, do these things crash with the possibility of losing books you may have purchased , is there a way to backup your stored books.
    I have a Kindle and got a Nook for my wife - it better parses .pdf files. I like them both a lot, although the kindle is easier for me to use since I have trouble using touch screens.

Anyhoo, I can't speak to the nook, but I have friends who have kindles that needed work. In every case they were sent a replacement kindle with all of their books loaded - even their bookmarks and notes. I assume that this means amazon tracks your books through your amazon account. Don't know if that is amazon purchases only, or your entire reader - that hasn't been mentioned.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Puffer Fish with some spikes craig_o's Avatar

I have the simple black and white Nook and I wouldn't trade it for any other e-reader (my girlfriend got one for Christmas as well).

Wife and I both have the Nook color. We both love them, but I just have one complaint; I am always reading 3 or more books at one time.
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2