Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B&N Nook

This is a discussion on B&N Nook within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Not sure if this belongs in the Tech or the Book forum, so I took a shot here. For Christmas, ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes bbrodnax's Avatar

B&N Nook

Not sure if this belongs in the Tech or the Book forum, so I took a shot here.
    For Christmas, my wife bought me a B&N Nook e-reader which have since fallen in love with. Around Christmas it was running around $300, but the money I have saved so far on buying the e-books has already paid for it.
    Today, I powered it up and found that a software update was available. After downloading the software I discovered that my Nook now has a web browser!! Totally cool if you ask me.
    I have not had time to mess around with it to see if it is worth a damn, but I am looking forward to it.
    The Nook is different, and sometimes I miss holding an actual book in my hands, but all-in-all, my experience so far has been exceptional.

Re: B&N Nook

The elctronic book readers are getting more and more popular. My wife has the Kindle app for her iphone and loves it. I'm an ink and paper person myself. I tend to get a headache if I stare at ascreen too long. Plus I collect books.

I heard B&N is working on releasing a Nook app for Droids and Blackberries. Knowing that the Nook has a web browser does make it sound nice and convenient for travelling though. I'm going to wait and see what else hits the market in the next year or so.

Rather than starting a new thread,(sorry if it a problem).

I would like to know, which one i should get my wife. The nook, or the newest kindle. Both are around the same price, and my wife isnt really "techy" so it would need to be simple. but have nice features as well.

She seen the new kindle and about crapped herself and has been dyin for that or the nook(which she mentioned first.) I have read about both but i am just as confused as a 15 year old in a bar.

any help. please.
    "If smoking is not allowed in heaven, I shall not go." Mark Twain
    My Tarantulas and other stuff go - here

Leading Puffer Fish BigBuddha76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by codykrr View Post

I would like to know, which one i should get my wife. The nook, or the newest kindle. Both are around the same price, and my wife isnt really "techy" so it would need to be simple. but have nice features as well.

She seen the new kindle and about crapped herself and has been dyin for that or the nook(which she mentioned first.) I have read about both but i am just as confused as a 15 year old in a bar.

any help. please.
    get the nook. I found it much easier to use than the kindle, and the use of the droid OS opens it up for greater things in the future.

regardless of what you get, you can get a program to convert from one ebook format to another (oh yeah, the epub format is more universal BTW)
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by codykrr View Post

any help. please.
    Here are my thoughts on it. My wife has a Nook and I had an Astak EZReader which allows all kinds of formats, it broke and I just ordered a Kindle 3.

The Kindle 3 has a better screen, is smaller and lighter, and has a much longer lasting battery than the Nook. Amazon, from what I have read, also has much better customer service than B&N.

Nook, though, uses epub format and Kindle uses mobi. If you are generally buying books through the Kindle or Nook itself, that doesn't matter much and this is the likely scenario if your wife isn't techy, but if you like to borrow ebooks from the library, epub is an easier format to find. You might want to check to see if your local library system has an extensive ebook catalog and if they do, what format it is in.

Another cool feature of the Nook is that you can read for free for an hour a day in a B&N store. So if you like going down there, having a cup of coffee and reading, that is a VERY cool feature.

If you plan to get unprotected ebooks elsewhere or have books in PDF format, you can use Calibre (free software) to convert to either format.

If you asked me a month ago to choose between Kindle 2 and Nook, I would have said Nook and at the time I DID purchase a Nook for my wife. I think the features of the Kindle 3 along with the $139 price tag put it back over the top though, despite the fact that ideally I would prefer the epub format. I just like the lighter weight (Nook gets a little heavy to read with one hand after a while) and the "pearl" screen.

Thanks Dave! That was a good honest opinion. Our local library is very small, so i highly doubt they even have "Ebooks" that being said, My wife will most likely just buy books from amazon. that being said, I think the kindle(according to what you just said) fits her needs a tad better. Also yes, the 139 price tag is amazing too.
    "If smoking is not allowed in heaven, I shall not go." Mark Twain
    My Tarantulas and other stuff go - here

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

My wife has a Nook and really likes it. I had a Sony reader but sold it when I got my iPad.

amnesiac with deja vu Nurse_Maduro's Avatar

It should be added that libraries, as of yet, don't have books available for Kindle (which greatly dissappoints me, as that's what I own).

Cheese, I know your post is old, but I just wanted to mention that my Kindle with e-ink feels just like reading a book. There's no backlight, and the screen is such that you can read it in direct sunlight, or in bed with minimal glare. I can;t speak personally for the other dedicated ereaders out there (meaning, an iPad doesn't count), but I'd have to guess that they're the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse_Maduro View Post
    It should be added that libraries, as of yet, don't have books available for Kindle (which greatly dissappoints me, as that's what I own).
    sadly its because of the format that Amazon chose to support. I get what I can and convert it using calibre...I'd like to set up an online library to lend out books, but the logistics just isnt there
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
    Another cool feature of the Nook is that you can read for free for an hour a day in a B&N store.

OK, I don't understand this at all...are you saying that ordinarily you have to pay for the time that you spend reading????

Quote Originally Posted by gjcab09 View Post
    OK, I don't understand this at all...are you saying that ordinarily you have to pay for the time that you spend reading????
    I do believe it is any ebook for an hour..I havent done it yet, but have gone in for the free cookies and godiva chocolate

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBuddha76 View Post
    I do believe it is any ebook for an hour..I havent done it yet, but have gone in for the free cookies and godiva chocolate
    Oh yeah...DUH

Sometimes I'm such a flippin' idiot!

Think I'll stick with the paper and ink versions myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by gjcab09 View Post
    Oh yeah...DUH

Sometimes I'm such a flippin' idiot!

Think I'll stick with the paper and ink versions myself though.
    thats what I thought until I got one...now, I have a library of over 6000 books and growing all fitting on a little piece of silicon

and its about the same weight as a hardcover that I would get from the library

only thing I really dont like about it is DRM (digital rights management) I cant lend out a book like I could a paper one, and I really dont have control over what I do with something I PURCHASED...DRM is a problem on any ereader, not just the nook and I dislike it for just the sheer idea of it.

that being said, all of my ebooks have no DRM and if I can help it never will

amnesiac with deja vu Nurse_Maduro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBuddha76 View Post
    sadly its because of the format that Amazon chose to support. I get what I can and convert it using calibre...I'd like to set up an online library to lend out books, but the logistics just isnt there

That works?!? I just figured it'd be protected somehow (the digital library book). I use Calibre all the time! (feeling stooopid now)

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse_Maduro View Post
    That works?!? I just figured it'd be protected somehow (the digital library book). I use Calibre all the time! (feeling stooopid now)

Thanks!!!
    I know this post is a few months old, but now that prices are falling rather quickly along with e-color technologies for these, I am considering getting one. I've seen pricing as low as $99 for nook refurbished and up to $250 for the color version, but I see no point in buying that one at it's highest price...but now you can read magazines and newspapers on it....which is why I'd want it....ugh, don't know what to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast