Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Whats the best book you've ever read??

This is a discussion on Whats the best book you've ever read?? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Love Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything!...

StraightUpCigars.com Straight Up Cigars's Avatar

Re: Whats the best book you've ever read??

Love Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything!
    Cigar reviews and info at StraightUpCigars.com!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Questionablesanity's Avatar

For me, the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by R. R. Martin is the best thing I have read.

I just hope the TV show doesn't rush the last few books. He has always been painfully slow about releasing his books. So much so I really hope he doesn't go out like Robert Jordan and die before he finishes the series. That being said, you cannot argue with his results. It may take him forever to write his next book but when he does they are perfect.
    Bring me my battle pants!

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a144 View Post
    patrick rothfuss's the kingkiller chronicles (or at least the first two) were great fantasy books. I'm eagerly waiting on the third book of the trilogy.
    hurry up 2045!!!
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Full grown Puffer Fish liquidicem's Avatar

A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite series.
    The Dark Tower series is a close second. This is a strange one for me because I normally can not stand to read King. He bores me to tears, but I could not put this series down.

In cold Blood by Truman Capote.
    That book will seriously mess you up for several days/weeks.

Puffer Fish with some spikes T3Hunter's Avatar

For non-fiction I have a ton of nature reference books that I love. My top non-fiction book though has to be The Northern Cookbook. It was a cookbook partly funded by the Canadian government to help Northerners eat a healthier diet. It has delicacies such as Jellied Moose Nose, Muskrat Fricasee and pastry recipes that call for "the fat of a young black bear that was eating berries". If it moves or grows in Northern Canada, this book has a recipe for it.

For fiction I like all sorts. Tom Clancy's books are great. As are Robert Jordans WhEel of Time series. I do enjoy Hemingway's work as well and Robert E. Howard's Conan.

Newbie in the ocean

So hard to just put down favorite...but right now I would have to say that Brandon Sanderson has become my favorite author. His Mistborn series is awesome! His new stormlight series is hands down the book that I most anticipating and eager for. I check his website just to check his progress bar. If only Patrick Rothfuss would implement a progress bar...sigh.

Full grown Puffer Fish OratorORourke's Avatar

I would have to say The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Fiction: Alas Babylon by Pat Frank

Non-Fiction: Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

I have read both several times!

I have read a lot of great books, but the one that just happened to pop into my head first is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

The Lord of the Rings series is probably up there. I have read that 3 or 4 times and i'm not typically into fantasy stuff.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

I'm not a big reader, but I really have liked Ender's Game, Lone Survivor, Wild at Heart, and No Easy Day

Quote Originally Posted by Just1ce View Post
    I'm not a big reader, but I really have liked Ender's Game, Lone Survivor, Wild at Heart, and No Easy Day
    I love Ender's Game. I'm working my way through the rest of the series right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJax View Post
    Fiction: Alas Babylon by Pat Frank

Non-Fiction: Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

I have read both several times!
    Our 11th grade english teacher made us read Alas Babylon and it was one of my favorite books in high school. Guess I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic stories.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liquidicem View Post
    I love Ender's Game. I'm working my way through the rest of the series right now.

THERES MORE!?!?! I had no idea they made any more after Ender's Game. I was excited to learn that they are making an Ender's Game movie, but I'm not sure how much of a reflection it will be of the book. IIRC Harrison Ford is going to be in it.

I will have to look up the rest of the series and give it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1ce View Post

THERES MORE!?!?! I had no idea they made any more after Ender's Game. I was excited to learn that they are making an Ender's Game movie, but I'm not sure how much of a reflection it will be of the book. IIRC Harrison Ford is going to be in it.

I will have to look up the rest of the series and give it a read.
    There is actually quite a bit more. I'm on the 3rd of 5 in the Ender series. There is also a related series called the Shadow Saga that I haven't read yet. Plus there is a trilogy that covers the first war before Ender's Game.

I am curious to see how they pull of the movie. I always thought it would be a really tough book to translate to film.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast