Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Whats the best book you've ever read??

This is a discussion on Whats the best book you've ever read?? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; My favorite book is also Catch 22. Never read a book that made me laugh so much...

Maturing Puffer Fish hxcmassacre's Avatar

Re: Whats the best book you've ever read??

My favorite book is also Catch 22. Never read a book that made me laugh so much

Maturing Puffer Fish hxcmassacre's Avatar

well I take that back. The Hitchhikers series by Douglas Adams did too

Best book I have recently read is Social Amimal by David Brooks. Interesting view on human behavior.

Ron Mexico Assault Squid Mr_mich's Avatar

Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. It was originally written in french, so i have about 7 different copies of it all by different translators. It's really interesting to see what some leave out, others leave in. What they think is important and what they sometimes completely ignore. I even have a print form 1926.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish x man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_mich View Post
    Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. It was originally written in french, so i have about 7 different copies of it all by different translators. It's really interesting to see what some leave out, others leave in. What they think is important and what they sometimes completely ignore. I even have a print form 1926.
    Actually, it was written in weekly installments, as a serial for a French newspaper, thats why it has so many chapters, with so many twists and turns, i wouldnt have missed a chapter or 2.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RedZeppelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Easy View Post
    Anyone interested in fantasy should read Patrick Rothfuss. His first book is, The Name of the Wind and he just released his second book, The Wise Man's Fear. . .
    This.

A friend of mine who used to run a bookstore turned me on to Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind is outstanding. I haven't read The Wise Man's Fear yet. I'm waiting for the Kindle price to drop a bit.

No longer a community member.

The unabridged version of "The Stand".

My mother had the first hard back printing of it. Read it in middle school and about 8 times since. I still have that copy. It is beat to hell.

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Venus on the Half Shell by Kilgore Trout (Philip José Farmer).
    Being willing is not enough, we must do. - Leonardo da Vinci.

No longer a community member.

Dark tower series, The Hitchhikers series and watership down

Full grown Puffer Fish

As far as fictions goes, without a doubt Crime and Punishment is the greatest novel I have read, closely followed by War and Peace. It may belong but it is an absolute masterpiece.

Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon is also a great book.

More recent books I would say 1984 by George Orwell. I also like to read Elmore Leonard novels as the dialogue is normally immense in them.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

When I was a kid I literally wore the covers off of my copies of Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott) and Lost World (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle). I've reread them over the years and they hold up well. Well, the stories do - the books are starting to fall apart!

The Bounty Trilogy was something my grandfather loved, and I have his falling-apart copies, which I have read several times and really enjoy.

Anything by Charles Dickens, just because even if the plot is fairly predictable, the characters acting it out for you on the pages are just wonderful to watch.

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

I enjoy the Narnia books every once in a while - right now I'm reading them aloud to my wife in the evenings. Yes, she can read - we just find it fun!

Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke.

I mentioned Doyle above - the Sherlock Holmes stories are wonderful, and I especially love his historical novels, which he financed by writing the Sherlock Holmes stories. He killed of Sherlock Holmes to dedicate time to writing the historical novels, which were his true love. But then he had to bring Sherlock back because of popular demand.

Mark Twain - I like his short stories better than his novels.

Nonfiction - The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Tough to pick just one. Some personal favorites already mentioned; loved Catcher in the Rye since high school; Confederacy of Dunces is good; Neil Gaiman's American Gods is fantastic, probably the best recently-written book I've read (think I've read it three maybe four times in the last few years; just bought the 10th anniversary edition the other day); currently reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, really enjoying that. Hmmm… Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, Faulkner, Carson McCullers, Michael Chabon, Tolkien… pick one favorite book? damn…. Hell, the question is the "best" book you've ever read, which could be a different thing entirely.

Ok, ok…

Favorite book: American Gods

Best book I've read: Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

(ask me tomorrow and the answers will probably be different, haha)

drl

Easily LOTR for me - I count it as a book/one story rather than a series because that's how the author thought of it. I'm not exaggerating when I say it changed my life!

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

The Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

Me talk pretty one day, david sederis

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast