Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Whats the best book you've ever read??

This is a discussion on Whats the best book you've ever read?? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm currently reading the series by George RR Martin as well, but my all time fave book... Battlefield Earth by ...

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

Re: Whats the best book you've ever read??

I'm currently reading the series by George RR Martin as well, but my all time fave book...

Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard...terrible movie bu great book!

My favorite series would be a toss up...

The wheel of time by Robert Jordan or the Tom Clancy novels...all hella good!
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

My favorite is always Sherlock Holmes.

So hard to pick... either The Stand or the Dark Tower series by Stephen King would probably be the best...

My favorite is The Bears of Blue River, based in Shelbyville, IN (not far from me) and was the first "real" book ever bought for me.
    My dad bought me a copy for Christmas when I was 6, after sitting with him and reading him 3 chapters out loud from his copy, to prove I could do it. I still have my Library of Indiana Classics edition he bought me, his copy has the same printing defects, as well as the copy he has that belonged to his dad, who I never met (passed when I was a year old). Already bought my son a copy as well...
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

Maturing Puffer Fish samiam2007's Avatar

Best book I ever read was the Godfather, a close second, but completely different genre - The Help.

I just finished Strangers by Dean Koontz and I loved it - a real page turner with lots of plot twists.

Also, the Wheel of Time series is great if you are willing to commit to it - the 14th book just came out in January.

My favs are, The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins, Anything by by Alistair Maclean, a cloud of sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka etc
    Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.

Definitely Brave New World. Although Fear and Loathing is close.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post
    I'm reading Brave New World right now. About 1/3 of the way through it. Pretty good book but not something I can't put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrbergin View Post
    I'm reading Brave New World right now. About 1/3 of the way through it. Pretty good book but not something I can't put down.
    I agree. I liked Brave New World, but i wouldn't call it the best book I've read.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

My favorite part of the book is where sorta spoiler: Bernard has Lenina, I think it was, in a gyrocopter and looking out into nature and just sitting there. Lenina freaks out from looking into what is essentially the abyss/unknown and wants to go back.

It's not thrilling, sure. But it's something to really think about. I bumped up a college english class score by doing the final paper on Brave New World. I should have gotten a B from all the other grades I got back, but I managed an A and never saw the grade I got for the paper. So it may have been a combination of that and bonus points for class discussions being one of the most outspoken during them.

In the paper, I stated that the world is move to the direction of Brave New World and that it's good. It was the opposite of what my professor directly said. And I used Aldous Huxley's Brave New World Revisited for references and background. Which I recommend to read if you're interested in the real life influences he had. Almost everything is explained in it and more. I remember a section on mind control which talked about research done with dogs to find their psychological breaking point.

The books everyone should read (one way I'm kidding, another I'm not):

Extraordinary Delusions and the Madness of Crowds -- MacKay

On Growth and Form -- D'Arcy Thompson

The Feynman Lectures on Physics -- Richard Feynman

You English Words -- John Moore

The Sot-Weed Factor -- Philip Roth

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy -- Tolkien

The Foundation Trilogy -- Isaac Asimov

The Gormenghast Trilogy -- Mervyn Peake

Dracula -- Bram Stoker

Dragon's Egg -- Robert Forward

Fade Out -- Patrick Tilley

War with the Newts -- Karel Capek

The Cyberiad -- Stanislaw Lem

The Complete Sherlock Holmes -- Arthur Conan Doyle

This list is pure free association. I have hundreds of "best" books.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post
    I have to say that would be in my top 5 but my favorite book is Hemingway's A Moveable Feast

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

Lately I've been reading Jim Butcher's series Dresden Files Not to bad at all
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

Too many favorites:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Chaos - James Gliek
    Most any Vonnegut
    Early Tom Robbins - Jitterbug Perfune - Another Roadside Attraction
    Godel, Escher, Bach

I'm a compulsive reader, mostly the sciences and math stuff. I don't read much fiction. My wife reads horror and True Crime. We have about 5000 books, hit a lot of library sales. I read about a dozen magazines, most free. I'll have to dig up some links for y'all. Amazon is a good place for cheap magazines, paying $4/ year for Esquire.

Businessweek, Playboy, Maxim & Cigar Afficinado all arrive free.

If I'm not otherwise occupied, I'm reading or writing.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Patrick Rothfuss's the Kingkiller Chronicles (or at least the first two) were great fantasy books. I'm eagerly waiting on the third book of the trilogy.
    Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast