Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Whats the best book you've ever read??

This is a discussion on Whats the best book you've ever read?? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm always searchin for new books to read, and I was wondering what some of the favorites are of the ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish youngstogiesmoker's Avatar

Whats the best book you've ever read??

I'm always searchin for new books to read, and I was wondering what some of the favorites are of the best brothers and sisters I know. No requirements, it can be nonfiction, fiction, fantasy, history, thriller...whatever.

Whats your absolute most favorite book??

Mine is The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
    I know it sounds womanly, but its the greatest story I've ever read, hands down.
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Dan-Hur's Avatar

Re: Whats the best book you've ever read??

That's actually one of my favorite books. I've seen the movie numerous times, but I only recently had the opportunity to read the book. If you're interested in fantasy novels, you might want to check out The Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. They're definitely NOT children's books as they can be pretty damn graphic, but they're great reads. HBO is producing a television series based on them, actually.
    Last edited by Dan-Hur; 07-24-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: left out not.

I really enjoyed THE CHRYSALIDS by John Whyndam. The only book that was required reading in high school that I actually liked, and have read it several times since.

If you want some good, enjoyable, but not too serious reads, I would suggest anything by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. A few years ago, I came upon one of their books by accident...finished in short order, and read all the others (12 or 15 of them?) in order after that.

A Clockwork Orange, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, and Tropic Of Cancer by Henry Miller

Puffer Fish with some spikes contract's Avatar

Atlas Shrugged

Not for the writing... but for it's content of the actions in combat. About a Navy SEAL team in Afghanistan. One survivor, one Medal of Honor, and some Navy Crosses.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Luttrell

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish youngstogiesmoker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dasronin View Post
    Not for the writing... but for it's content of the actions in combat. About a Navy SEAL team in Afghanistan. One survivor, one Medal of Honor, and some Navy Crosses.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Marcus Luttrell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I've got this on my "to-read" list...a buddy of mine got it from his cousin who is a Navy Seal...I'm excited to read it.
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

Cada día canto mejor charlygardel's Avatar

I read Roberto Bolaño's novel 2666 at the beginning of the summer. Absolutely amazing. I'm having a tough time thinking of any novel I have ever read that was this good.

Here is part of Stephen King's review, taken from the wikipedia site for the book:
    Stephen King in Entertainment Weekly:

This surreal novel can't be described; it has to be experienced in all its crazed glory. Suffice it to say it concerns what may be the most horrifying real-life mass-murder spree of all time: as many as 400 women killed in the vicinity of Juarez, Mexico. Given this as a backdrop, the late Bolaño paints a mural of a poverty-stricken society that appears to be eating itself alive. And who cares? Nobody, it seems.[13]
    I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've read a few books I would consider great, but the first one that always comes to mind as my fave is East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

While I usually read Mark Twain, HG Wells and Jules Verne, my favorite book is modern - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I love every page of that book.

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski. The man lived it!

amnesiac with deja vu Nurse_Maduro's Avatar

Mine is To Live by Yu Hua. It's a 1993 novel that really needs to be read by everyone. Specifcally, it's about a family survivng through several tumultuous decades in China. Generally though, it's about love, loss and sacrifice. An absolutely amazing novel in any language (the film adaptation is pretty good, too).

Jake, you might want to check this thread out, too; there's some great books listed there: Give me your top ten!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish x man's Avatar

Just to name a few,the best ever for me,

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Dumas
    its 1400 pages, but after the 1st 100 you cant put it down.
    So good the cubans named a cigar after it, no kidding.

i dont read fiction usually.

Celestine Prophecy was great tho.

Truman by McCullough, David
    lots of biographies.
    Mao, by his doctor, written in the early 1990`s.

Einstein, the one written in 200? it was more definitve because
    lots of personal papers never seen before were used for this version.
    A tough read for me but worth it.

The one book that pops into my head is Altered Carbon...I LOVED this book! It's basically a noir detective novel set in a dystopian future. Quick read, action packed...I highly recommend it for sci-fi buffs.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast