Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chuck Palahniuk anyone?

This is a discussion on Chuck Palahniuk anyone? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Who likes him, who loves him? For the uninitiated, it's the author of Fight Club. Yes... it was a book ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes craig_o's Avatar

Chuck Palahniuk anyone?

Who likes him, who loves him?

For the uninitiated, it's the author of Fight Club. Yes... it was a book first...

I'd strongly suggest reading Invisible Monsters. It's dark but humorous (all of his novels are), and there are so many incredibly clever observations. Check it out.

Re: Chuck Palahniuk anyone?

"If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...Would you slow down? Or speed up?"

Absolutely love Palahniuk. My favorite is Haunted. Period. Great author. His prose is uncanny, his thought process completely f'ed and every one he puts out is a thrill ride.

Rant, Choke and Survivor are jammin' too!

Leading Puffer Fish BigBuddha76's Avatar

he doesn't have a bad book. my favorite being invisible monsters and snuff (about a ***** gang bang shoot)
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

Puffer Fish with some spikes craig_o's Avatar

Just finished Snuff. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Working on Pygmy right now... it goes very well with a cigar, in my opinion.

I need to buy Lullaby again so I can go through it... it was my favorite before Invisible Monsters.

Reading through Survivor again, great author.

If you guys havent read 'Choke', that is a great one!

I've read Fight Club, Survivor, and Choke. Loved all three, I'll have to try some of the others. I wish I'd have thought of Chuck in the "Who would you want to herf with" thread!

All have been good. I have not read Tell All, any opinions on that one?

Best regards, tony

Im just getting ready to start 'Tell All' but im a little worried that I am going to miss a lot of the references, being that im only 26yrs old.

Read everything he's ever written.

Except Pygmy. I got half way through that then decided it wasn't worth laboring over the narrator's pidgin accent.

People looking into him for the first time should start with Fight Club or Survivor.

I've read Haunted and Survivor. For some reason I keep meaning to pick up his others, but have not gotten around to it. My brother-in-law is obsessed with his work. I love the Fight Club movie and from my understanding, it was pretty faithful to the book. Need to go get some of those books.

On a side note, for those who have read Haunted, did you get through 'Guts' without getting queasy? I've heard that Palahniuk has not done a reading yet where someone doesn't pass out.

(__@_______]]]]~ chicobrownbear's Avatar

I'm about 3 quarters of the way through Pygmy. So many great observations about daily life in the Midwest.

I have an autographed 1st Edition copy of Choke. I was in Powell's Books in Portland (where Palahniak lives) and it was just sitting there on the shelf. I grabbed it up quickly. I have this fantasy in my head where he went in incognito, picked up the copy and signed it and left it there.

If you ever get a chance to go to Portland, you have to visit Powell's. The place is awesome.

Thats awesome.

Puffer Fish with many spikes MaduroScotty's Avatar

Choke is definitely one of my favorites. He can be quite shocking when you first read him, but by the third book, you pretty much have him figured out. If you like writers like that, allow me to suggest Max Barry. He incorporates dark humor into his works, you will hold your sides laughing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast