Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

George R.R. Martin.... seriously, wtf.

This is a discussion on George R.R. Martin.... seriously, wtf. within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Strickland Don't hurry, you'll miss too much. Trust me. This is my 3rd time through the series ...

Re: George R.R. Martin.... seriously, wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
    Don't hurry, you'll miss too much. Trust me. This is my 3rd time through the series and I'm still picking up on things I missed the first 2 times...
    Truth! I read thru this series several times before Feast for Crows. I'm REALLY surprised at how much I missed and or made more sense after the second read thru. This really is a powerful series.

Scott

drl

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos44 View Post
    Truth! I read thru this series several times before Feast for Crows. I'm REALLY surprised at how much I missed and or made more sense after the second read thru. This really is a powerful series.

Scott
    I'm a big fan and have waited for Book 5 for a while too. I enjoyed the HBO s1 enough that it has me reading the entire series again and I agree totally with the above. Because of that, I haven't gotten to book 5 yet but I do have it and actually was lucky enough to go to a signing last weekend where GRRM talked a good while about the books, tv, etc and then signed the new release! Looking forward to it...

I wouldn't have given the TV series a chance if it wasn't for the many times on this board that I've come across people saying how great the books are.

Now that I've finished the first 10 episodes, I absolutely NEED to track these books down. The one complaint I've heard about the story is that the characters are "one dimensional" or "standard fantasy predictable", and to that I say "I don't care." Granted, I haven't even touched the books yet but I haven't found myself drawn to a world like this since the first time I read The Hobbit.

Unfortunately my rinky-dink town doesn't have a new book store anymore (only a Walmart, and they did not have these when I last checked) so I'm stuck waiting until I'm out of town & able to pick these up. Thankfully I have a few other things that I need to finish reading first... And though I typically re-read The Hobbit/LOTR every second or third fall/early winter, I'm thinking that if I enjoy this series as much as I think I will, I'll have to fit it into the rotation.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Full grown Puffer Fish Strickland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    The one complaint I've heard about the story is that the characters are "one dimensional" or "standard fantasy predictable"
    I don't know where you read this, but it's so wrong it's laughable. The underlying genius (yeah, I said genius) of Martin's characters is that they do change, and you get to see different sides of them and learn what motivates them as the books go on...
    Mah blog! -->

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
    I don't know where you read this, but it's so wrong it's laughable. The underlying genius (yeah, I said genius) of Martin's characters is that they do change, and you get to see different sides of them and learn what motivates them as the books go on...
    I read it in a few places, and I understand that criticism if it's coming from someone who doesn't care enough about the fantasy genre to allow himself to become consumed in the world that's created, but at the same time he knows enough about fantasy writing to recognize the surly dwarf character, the ruthless family who will do anything to take control, the young man who must step up to protect "his" kingdom in his father's absence...

Yeah, those have been used a thousand times over, and while I realize I'm making sweeping generalizations by saying I recognize those characters too, from what I've seen of the show - and again, I haven't read the books - there's a further depth and realism to the characters that makes this world so enjoyable. And that's not to mention how long this series looks to be, which is going to allow the characters to develop even further (as you said).

I'm not knocking this at all, I'm genuinely excited to start reading this series. Unless the book fairy shows up at my house I'll gladly be spending my money soon on the books that have so far been released.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I have heard good things from a friend and a co-worker but this is just not my genre. I do feel your pain waiting on something that was supposed to be out months before it hits the shelves. I hope you enjoy it as much as you think you will.

drl

The characters are very rich and complex. You'll enjoy them and disagree with what you've heard, I think. Some of them do fit into those common molds at first glance, but they really come alive. One thing you cannot say about these books is that they're predictable (as you probably know from seeing the HBO series).

Also, Amazon is your friend if you don't want to wait to find a B&M out of town!

665 Neighbor of The Beast Wharfrat's Avatar

I've waited too long for this book to hit the shelves that I don't even think I'll bother to read it. I loved all the other books but am so disappointed in the wait for this. Plus..I have read the reviews on Amazon somewhat and am not really impressed. Too bad..damn good series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wharfrat View Post
    I've waited too long for this book to hit the shelves that I don't even think I'll bother to read it. I loved all the other books but am so disappointed in the wait for this. Plus..I have read the reviews on Amazon somewhat and am not really impressed. Too bad..damn good series.
    I'm going the cheap route and waiting on the local library. It's a long waiting list.
    A peaceful place, or so it looks from space
    Closer look reveals the human race

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2