Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How fast do you read?

This is a discussion on How fast do you read? within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I seem to manage roughly 60-100 pages a day before my eyes go a little fuzzy and I have to ...

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

How fast do you read?

I seem to manage roughly 60-100 pages a day before my eyes go a little fuzzy and I have to stop. I think that's reasonable over a 1 1/2 - 2 hour span, but some folks I know seem to seem to have their books finished before they've even driven completely home from the bookstore. How speedy are you?

Re: How fast do you read?

I can't read books very long. I have a slight adht issue; but if you throw in a few pictures, it will keep me going. Im a "visual" guy. I read magazines.

My fiance can read a paperback love or sci-fi book in 2 or 3 days with ease.....
    Even when I go to aggrevating her, she still don't miss a beat reading away!

I read about a page a minute. I usually fall asleep before the 60 page mark though.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

Quote Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
    I can't read books very long. I have a slight adht issue; but if you throw in a few pictures, it will keep me going. Im a "visual" guy. I read magazines.

My fiance can read a paperback love or sci-fi book in 2 or 3 days with ease.....
    Even when I go to aggrevating her, she still don't miss a beat reading away!

I hear ya, most of what I read is either history or non-fiction adventure with a couple of photo sections spaced throughout...I always use the photo areas as a reward for making it through the text!

See, I could read non-fiction and history type books.... but its hard for me to get into the sci-fi books with crazy names and places.... a "realistic book" I could get into. Something I can relate to.

Puffer Fish with some spikes StratSlinger's Avatar

For me, it all depends on the author, how complicated s/he chooses to write a given piece, and my frame of mind.

For instance - I loves me some Robert Heinlein. To read some of his pulpy sci-fi work is very easy - I can crank out one of those novels in a couple hours, easy. However, try reading "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (one of my all-time favorites), if you've never read it before. Heinlein basically made up a future dialect of English, then wrote a novel IN THAT DIALECT. The first two chapters were excruciatingly slow - but once you got a feel for it, you could pick up the pace a bit - but never to anything approaching the pace you'd read one of his pulpier works in.

Another favorite is Robert Jordan. His works tend to be so jam packed with detail (sometimes to the detriment of his work, to be honest), that you have to take some time to digest it all. During a re-read of his books a couple years back, I found that some books could take me 5-6 weeks of leisure-time reading to complete, while others were done in 1-2. And they were all stories in the same series!

Yes, detail and complexity can have a huge bearing on my ability to read even nominally quickly...also font size. I don't know what is considered "standard" font size, but I often seem to run across slightly oversize books with slightly undersize text that really puts a whammy on me.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish youngstogiesmoker's Avatar

A page in about a minute and a half, maybe faster sometimes, probably slowler sometimes.

However I can "speed read" fairly well...mostly its just super skimming, but with school and everything I've gotten pretty good at it.
    To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bits. Eat in excess. Drink in excess. Smoke in excess. Moderation is for monks.

Quote Originally Posted by StratSlinger View Post
    For me, it all depends on the author, how complicated s/he chooses to write a given piece, and my frame of mind.

For instance - I loves me some Robert Heinlein. To read some of his pulpy sci-fi work is very easy - I can crank out one of those novels in a couple hours, easy. However, try reading "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (one of my all-time favorites), if you've never read it before. Heinlein basically made up a future dialect of English, then wrote a novel IN THAT DIALECT. The first two chapters were excruciatingly slow - but once you got a feel for it, you could pick up the pace a bit - but never to anything approaching the pace you'd read one of his pulpier works in.

Another favorite is Robert Jordan. His works tend to be so jam packed with detail (sometimes to the detriment of his work, to be honest), that you have to take some time to digest it all. During a re-read of his books a couple years back, I found that some books could take me 5-6 weeks of leisure-time reading to complete, while others were done in 1-2. And they were all stories in the same series!

Jesus Ryan we might be brothers! Heinlein and Jordan are my two favorite authors hands down. I have read everything the both have ever written. And I agree I can rip through time enough for love in about a day and I can't seem to get through Eye to the World in a week and no matter how many times I read it.

And for some reason I have been rolling through the Percy Jackson novels and flying through but can't seem to fly through harry potter.
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Young Fish

I read about 100 pages an hour, and i agree pacing can make a big difference. I love Michael Crichton novels but they usually start off a bit slow. By the middle of his books things have picked up and pages just blow by. Sometimes I wish I read a little slower, makes buying books seem like a waste if a book is short. If it weren't for the library I'd be broke.

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoPhil View Post
    Sometimes I wish I read a little slower, makes buying books seem like a waste if a book is short. If it weren't for the library I'd be broke.
    I hear you brother, I wish the same thing sometimes.

I can read an interesting novel at about 100-110 pages an hour depending on the font size. And I can read a book for hours for example my family drove to Texas from Florida and I read the first two Lord of the Rings books by the time we got there. But if it is a textbook for class I'm lucky to get through fifty or sixty pages before I pass out asleep or need to stop and do something to clear my mind.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Citizen Zero's Avatar

I find that I read at a pace that is equivalent to the flow of the book. If the piece has no flow then then my reading skills are on par with a traffic jam.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Kook's Avatar

Like many others it depens on the book to me. I've been struggling to get through a page a minute on War and Peace (probably because of the level of detail), but I've found myself getting through almost 2 pages/minute on Vince Flynn's books.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Evonnida's Avatar

If it is a mystery, thriller or suspenseful book (Connelly, Crais, Eisler, Millennium Trilogy) I can read the entire book in one sitting. I can normally get through a 200 page book in around an hour and a half to 2 hours. If a book drags or doesn't hold my interest though I read considerably slower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast