Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Amazon kindle

This is a discussion on Amazon kindle within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Cigary I finally took the plunge and got the NextBook 7 Premium...got it on QVC for $199 ...

Re: Amazon kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    I finally took the plunge and got the NextBook 7 Premium...got it on QVC for $199 and it's really a great piece of equipment. WIFI..android..E Reader...plays movies and you can surf the web and it's perfect for our travels which I'm doing right now as we speak. The best part is that books are like 60% off the regular cost when reading them off these devices..instead of paying $25 and up they cost around $10 instead.
    For my birthday last month, one of my gifts was the b and n, color nook, with a case.
    Once I was tutored by my kids on how to use all the features, it has become a delight.
    I am a reader, but it has dropped off, now I leave it in my truck, and everywhere I go, I have my books, the web, my email, mps player, chess player, checkers, backgammon, bowling. All my reference materials, and anytime I hear of a good book, I can download it instantly and have a 1000 books at my disposal. Its great, and a good battery life and a great screen.
    And if you actually go into a barnes and noble, you can read any book thats in nook form, for an hour a sitting. Its great when I go to the shop to buy a book, and they are out of stock, I can just download and read for an hour, and then come back another time and finish the book.

With a good case and taxes and everything its about 300 dollars.

Much regards Jerry

Puffer Fish with some spikes RedZeppelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zwillis View Post
    I got a hand me down kindle over the weekend and I am really loving it. It is a 3g version of the kindle 3, the latest one from Amazon and reading stuff on this gadget is really easy and great. You would not have any problem setting what suits you as you can achieve that in just a simple click.

I never looked at this line as I have a samsung galaxy tab to substitute an ebook reader. But the eink technology really stands out here.
    Yeah, e-ink is what makes the Kindle. I read outside quite often and the e-ink screen looks as good in bright sunlight as a regular book. You don't have to worry about glare or a dim screen.

Maturing Puffer Fish brotherwilliam3's Avatar

I can agree to this. The kindle is plainly awesome. When amazon comes out with a full touch kindle is when itll be perfected!

I'm not so sure how I'll like the touch version of the kindle. The straight e-ink screen without glare gets the job perfectly well. I usually read one handed any way, with one thumb tucked over the next page button, and I can't imagine what the touch would add besides a bit of extra glare and smudges. I have to admit I haven't yet taken a look at the new Nook recently launched, so I might get converted yet.

I bought my kindle 2 years ago this christmas. As a guy who has been reading for 27+ years, the kindle took my book every two weeks habit to a book or three a week or more. It's the one purchase I was worried I'd regret, but have since loved every moment with it. Current roster is just over 100 books and growing!

Puffer Fish with some spikes RedZeppelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mortanis View Post
    I'm not so sure how I'll like the touch version of the kindle. The straight e-ink screen without glare gets the job perfectly well. I usually read one handed any way, with one thumb tucked over the next page button, and I can't imagine what the touch would add besides a bit of extra glare and smudges. I have to admit I haven't yet taken a look at the new Nook recently launched, so I might get converted yet. . .
    I'm with you. Although I wouldn't mind having a Nook Color to root to Android and play around with as a mini tablet, I like my Kindle just the way it is for reading. No touch screen needed.

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

Kindles are great! I got one for my birthday back in July. At first I didn't think I would like it. However, at this time, I have twenty books stored in my Kindle and so far I have read five of them. I am truly loving my Kindle.

The Kindle will probably be my next purchase.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Alpedhuez55's Avatar

I bought a Nook Touch last month. It is down to about $99 now, probably because the Kindle Touch comes out this week. I didn't bother with the color since I am not using it to surf. I am enjoying it a lot more than expected. My library has a selection of books I can check out on line. B&N has a fair selection of cheap books and usually spotlights an author each month with a 99 cent book. The Kindle Touch is out this week. Amazon will have a library of books you can access with their Prime service.

I have read about 10 books on it so far. Right now I am reading the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

researched kindle fire and Nook before christmas to see what I might buy and a friend gave us the kindle fire for xmas so didnt have to decide. using it mainly for books but it has lots of other good stuff. my question is --- are the books you download the full version of the book. I got the King book about Kennedy, which is 800 pages in real form and I seemed to read it a lot faster on the kidle than I usually read a real 800 pager.
    They have a section you can download free books and some people have commented that amazon has edited some of the classics you can get for free so I wondered if they edited any of the books you buy.

Puffer Fish with some spikes The Cigar Nut's Avatar

I bought my wife the nook color for christmas and she is on that thing constantly. I still have not gotten into the tablet world - for some reason I feel the need for a physical keyboard and the windows/linux functions that go along with an actual PC. But - facebook, twitter, reading books, surfing the net - the thing seems like it fits the bill perfectly. That - and I didn't go broke getting the nook color like I would have getting the Ipad.

EDIT: The books she gets are 50/50 half vs full. Most of the free books will offer X pages free ( just enough to get you hooked ) then you have to pay for the full thing ( usually a couple dollars cheaper than a paper back version ) while most of the 'classics' are fully free.

Love my kindle, read a ton more than I had been. Have since picked up an IPad, but still prefer the kindle for reading.

Explorer of fine things.. Quine's Avatar

I seem to be like a lot of you. Said I prefer the tangibility of paper, never even thought about an electronic reader. Then big surprise, my GF's daughters bought me one for Christmas last year and I was hooked from the first day. I used to read a lot. Now I still read a lot, but 2 or 3 books at the same time! I like the "book like" feel of the thing (e-ink), but it does have a few drawbacks. I love being able to send PDF files to myself for example, but multi-column PDF formatting on the kindle is a real pain to read. Mostly though it's fantastic and the compensation for there being books not yet in kindle format is that so many that are are so cheap. I have near 100 books on mine and half were $2 or less!

I have the keyboard edition (smaller one) and take lots marginal notes in my non-fiction reading. Great for writing book reviews (which I will some day get back into I promise myself... :-))

I am curious about one thing I haven't yet figured out... I see I can create "bookmarks" and the kindle shows a little icon at the top right of the page, like turning a corner down in a paper book. But there doesn't seem to be any way to "jump to" or "go to" the bookmarks? So far, has been a less than useful feature for me.
    ...and a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke! -- Rudyard Kipling "The Betrothed"

I'm a big fan of my kindle, and prefer it for reading over the iPad. Looks great outside, and I have the case with light that runs off the kindle's internal battery. My wife finds it to be less distracting than the iPad at night. Also cant beat the battery life. If you're a member of amazon prime don't forget to take advantage of their free lending library. Only one per month but they have some good ones available.

Bought my 7 year-old the Kindle Touch for her last birthday, and it has also been a hit. Our local library has a fairly good selection of children's books available for it, but even when we buy books for it, it's still better than video games.

Eric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2