Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Amazon kindle

This is a discussion on Amazon kindle within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; The amazon kindle brought back my love for reading. Before my wife and I got our first kindle we might ...

Young Puffer Fish

Amazon kindle

The amazon kindle brought back my love for reading. Before my wife and I got our first kindle we might have read 10 books a year combined. Now that we both have one I bet last year we read 60 books combined. I take mine every where. For those that dont have one and you like to read you need to get one. I was just wondering who else out there is reading on them as well.

Full grown Puffer Fish ChiTownHustler's Avatar

Re: Amazon kindle

I've been debating taking the plunge and buying one, but haven't done it yet as many of the books I want aren't issued in digital format. Probably will pick one up eventually, however. Which size Kindle did you buy?

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownHustler View Post
    I've been debating taking the plunge and buying one, but haven't done it yet as many of the books I want aren't issued in digital format. Probably will pick one up eventually, however. Which size Kindle did you buy?
    I have the smaller one. I think it is 6". My step dad has the big one and he thinks it might be a little to heavy. He is debating on going back to the smaller one. I think it is the perfect size.

Full grown Puffer Fish Strickland's Avatar

I got one of the original Sony readers for Christmas a few years ago. Still going strong and I still use it all the time. When the prices come down (a lot) I'll probably upgrade to a color Nook. Those things look sweet!
    Mah blog! -->

I can't wrap my mind around an electronic device for books. I think I'd prefer the tangible quality of paper over a screen. And you can drop or lose a book without crying too much. Course, a couple thousand titles to carry around sounds appealing. Do those critters have "search" functions? I do find myself longing for CNTL-F while reading technical stuff.

Favorite book? Can't say. I've liked so many books over the years that I have thousands of them everywhere. Love to be able to say that about gars.

Joe
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by beercritic View Post
    I can't wrap my mind around an electronic device for books. I think I'd prefer the tangible quality of paper over a screen. And you can drop or lose a book without crying too much. Course, a couple thousand titles to carry around sounds appealing. Do those critters have "search" functions? I do find myself longing for CNTL-F while reading technical stuff.

Favorite book? Can't say. I've liked so many books over the years that I have thousands of them everywhere. Love to be able to say that about gars.

Joe
    Joe I was the same way. I wasent sure at first but after the first book I was hooked. I boxed up all of our books and gave them away. I was amazed how much extra space I had around. It is kind of scary to make the switch but once I did I was very happy.

Guess I'll read some more reviews on the various readers and wait until the price drops to some magic $NUM.

I recycle/resell books online, so I do have to have adequate storage. My largest shelf measures 40 by 12 feet, can be stacked on both sides and has a walkway cut-in where it needs to be. My first woodworking project, actually. All peg and glue construction. No metal.

Psychotic? Or what?

Joe
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

I just got mine about 3 weeks ago. I have read more since I got it that I ever have in my entire life. I LOVE this thing. It make smoking time much more enjoyable.
    You guys might want to check out this site.... http://booklending.com/
    Last edited by Pipedreamz; 03-27-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Reading this thread with the nook color. Two pretty good choices.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RedZeppelin's Avatar

I love my Kindle. I'm on my second one. I bought a first gen not too long after they launched and late last year I bought a new K3. Can't imagine living without it at this point.

One of the best parts is being able to hold it and turn pages without having to put down my cigar. Heh.

For you Kindle owners there's a handy blog called Books on the Knob that announces freebies and discounted titles for the Kindle every day. I recently picked up Red Alert (the book that Dr. Strangelove was based on) and Emerson's Self Reliance for free.

My nook color is the bomb diggity. Even better, after I rooted it, I was able to get my kindle books on here. I've read more books in the last few months(since buying the nook) then in the last 5 years. Before college I was a voracious reader, and after college, just couldn't find time. Now I read an average of a book a week.

Full grown Puffer Fish Strickland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
    I got one of the original Sony readers for Christmas a few years ago. Still going strong and I still use it all the time. When the prices come down (a lot) I'll probably upgrade to a color Nook. Those things look sweet!
    I bought one of these instead.

w00t.com had it for $85 shipped. It's actually more of a tablet PC than a reader. It's limited to Android 2.0, but it's plenty good enough to surf the web, get my email, play simple games. And it's a great reader with the Aldiko app I found. There's also a free Kindle app that lets me go that route, too, if I want.

Very, very happy, considering I was think about that $200 Nook...
    Mah blog! -->

Newbie in the ocean

I got a hand me down kindle over the weekend and I am really loving it. It is a 3g version of the kindle 3, the latest one from Amazon and reading stuff on this gadget is really easy and great. You would not have any problem setting what suits you as you can achieve that in just a simple click.

I never looked at this line as I have a samsung galaxy tab to substitute an ebook reader. But the eink technology really stands out here.

+1 for the nook color. I love this thing i can surf do emails as well as read books. Although that cruz reader looks sweet and it much cheaper!
    "you forgot one very important thing, mate: I'm Captain Jack Sparrow"...Savvy?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I finally took the plunge and got the NextBook 7 Premium...got it on QVC for $199 and it's really a great piece of equipment. WIFI..android..E Reader...plays movies and you can surf the web and it's perfect for our travels which I'm doing right now as we speak. The best part is that books are like 60% off the regular cost when reading them off these devices..instead of paying $25 and up they cost around $10 instead.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast