Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nook Questions

This is a discussion on Nook Questions within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Been eying the B&N "B&W Nook," as the price seems to be falling nicely. Can the Nook display PDF files? ...

Nook Questions

Been eying the B&N "B&W Nook," as the price seems to be falling nicely.

Can the Nook display PDF files?

Can the Nook display HTML?

How does it compare feature-wise with the Kindle?

Thanks,

Joe
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Re: Nook Questions

I bought a nook last fall. Don't have any experience with a Kindle. It does display PDF and other formats. Go to Barnes and Noble site and look under the nook features and specs and they will tell you what it does.

I like it as a reader, don't have to carry a bunch of books when I travel. Don't expect it to do well surfing the web. Very slow and cumbersome.

If I had to do it over again I would have saved for an Ipad I think
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

I have a Nook and it's great for a reader. I absolutely love it. However, I'm in Iraq and the first couple of months I had it was pure torture. You have to register your Nook via wi-fi before you can put books on it. Being here in Iraq I don't have wi-fi. It was very inconvient. In addition to that the Nook books are expensive compared to their paperback counter parts. I just got done buying 6 books for $10 ea. when I could have gotten the paperback copies for about $5 ea with my B&N membership (which doesn't work for Nook books). Also, the Nook only supports PDF and ePub files. This means that you can't really buy books for it anywhere but B&N. Which means great sites like booksonboard.com are of no use. All in all I would probably hold out for an iPad if I want a multi-function reader, but the Nook is great for the sole purpose of a reader.

Thanks for you review, Easy. I am still "on the fence" about purchasing a reader. Probably concentrate on the Kindle, for a while, then decide.

More importantly, thank YOU for serving OUR country.

joe

Joe, a very nice feature is that you can borrow digital books for free from the library.(at least on the nook color)

No worries brother. I'm glad that I can help out any way I can. And don't thank me too much. Although I am in the National Guard back home I came over here as a contractor this time. Economy ain't so nice in MI right now so I thought a change of location was in order (for a short while at least... hahaha). Take care and I'm sure I'll "see" you around.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Batista30 View Post
    Joe, a very nice feature is that you can borrow digital books for free from the library.(at least on the nook color)
    You can with the black and white version too. Good job pointing that out Veeral!

So is it an on-library, or do public libraries offer the service?

Thanks,

joe

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Easy View Post
    No worries brother. I'm glad that I can help out any way I can. And don't thank me too much. Although I am in the National Guard back home I came over here as a contractor this time. Economy ain't so nice in MI right now so I thought a change of location was in order (for a short while at least... hahaha). Take care and I'm sure I'll "see" you around.
    Hey Easy,

Nat'l Guard still counts, at least in MY book. Heck even the Air Force counts! (Sorry, being an Air Force Brat, I gotta punk them.)

joe

Quote Originally Posted by beercritic View Post
    So is it an on-library, or do public libraries offer the service?

Thanks,

joe
    Our local library does. I'm sure it's not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    Our local library does. I'm sure it's not the only one.
    Once you register your library card with your brick and mortar library for online borrowing, this will allow you to borrow books online and transfer them to your nook.

For me, I have access to at least 50 libraries because of mutual agreements. If you have questions, I would just call your local library and see if they have something in place.

Once you register your library card with your brick and mortar library for online borrowing, this will allow you to borrow books online and transfer them to your nook.

For me, I have access to at least 50 libraries because of mutual agreements. If you have questions, I would just call your local library and see if they have something in place.
    That's better info than I had!! I just asked my wife if she can download books from our library, and she sad she was reading one now. Lol! End of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by beercritic View Post
    Hey Easy,

Nat'l Guard still counts, at least in MY book. Heck even the Air Force counts! (Sorry, being an Air Force Brat, I gotta punk them.)

joe
    Haha.... that's great cuz I'm actually over here working with the AF. They aren't too bad... I guess... lol. I can tell you that we always appreciate the people who appreciate us. Later!

the understanding wife BOTLwife's Avatar

I have a nook, love it to pieces. For traveling, plane rides, taking to work, it is just wonderful. But yeah, books can be pricey. I just spend 50+ on about 6 books for our upcoming vacation. I haven't tried the library thing yet, because we don't have a card. Maybe tomorrow we can get one.

Also, an e-reader does not take getting used to, nor does it make it difficult to go back and forth between "real" books and e-books. Also, this is my peeve, but get one that is not backlit (like the original nook, not the color). Eye strain is a huge issue, and with backlighting, it does not correct it. A non-backlit e-reader like the nook or kindle is JUST like reading a real book. But that is just my peeve.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will due."

Summer is right about possible eye strain but...I love the nook color for reading magazines and surfing on the internet and puff and seeing everything in color.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast