Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Four Questions For The Book Readers:

This is a discussion on Four Questions For The Book Readers: within the Books forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I second the Song of Fire and Ice books. I LOVE them and I'm not much for fantasy reading. If ...

ZK Master of Shenanigans kozzman555's Avatar

Re: Four Questions For The Book Readers:

I second the Song of Fire and Ice books. I LOVE them and I'm not much for fantasy reading. If you do like fantasy, also check out the "Drizzt Do'urden books. Those are entertaining. The first 3 or 4 are my favs, but all are decent.

but Tritones, I know David Copperfield is a "classic", but I just did not like it. I actually preferred Great Expectations for a good Dickens book. That being said, I freakin worship Dumas and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Read The Count of Monte Cristo and the 3 Musketeers series. For Sir A.C Doyle, read all the Sherlock Holmes books.

Taming of the Shrew and the Merchant of Venice are my fav Shakespeare books. 1776 by David McCullough is a great non-fiction account of the year 1776.

One of my favorite fiction books "The Descent" by Jeff Long. Its a mix of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and an explanation of our "demons" that a lot of religions have. Everytime I read it, I get something new out of it.

For action/adventure, check out Clive Cusseler's older books. All his older Dirk Pitt stuff is great. The new crap he churns out is not so good.

For a good detective novel, I love Robert B. Parker's series. All his books were great. He even wrote a couple of westerns that were decent.

I hope this helps you out.

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I am picking up some very good suggestions, and in time, I plan to read them all!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

I primarily read sci-fi and fantasy, so if you're looking for more books in those categories just let me know.
    At one point I had 10 big cardboard boxes full of books ~ 400 that I ended up donating to my old high school. Wife and I had only been married for a short time and we just didn't have the room for them.
    Giving them up was like losing my best friends.....

Puffer Fish with some spikes JasonI's Avatar

Which is the best Spy Thriller/Mystery Thriller, you've ever read, any era?
    I'm a fan of Tom Clancy. I know there are some folks who don't like him but I always recommend "Without Remorse".

Which is the best WWII Combat book you've ever read?
    "A Bridge to Far" by Cornelius Ryan

Which is the best Sci Fi book you've ever read?
    It's a toss up between two Robert Heinlein books. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and "Starship Troopers"

If I could only make one recommendation I always recommend "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.
    I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God before I go to bed tonight. - C. H. Spurgeon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2