Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Vinotemp 101

This is a discussion on Vinotemp 101 within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by rack04 Beware according to the manufacturer the maximum ambient temp for these is 77 degrees. When you ...

Re: Vinotemp 101

Quote Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
    Beware according to the manufacturer the maximum ambient temp for these is 77 degrees.
    When you say the ambient temp is 77 degrees max, how does that translate into what effects I would see if the temp in the house got higher than that? Looking to build one, but looking for pros and cons before I buy.
    "Nothing Better - A fine cigar, a fine beer, a fine game of poker, some fine fishing, and a fine wife that encourages them all."

If i push mine flush against the wall it seems to do worse with maintaining temperature. Has anyone else experienced this?

The cooling device looks like a simple heatsink operation, i wonder how often it should be cleaned?
    [SIZE=2]My budget is $16 a day, so i spend 90 cents on food, 5 cents on water, and whatever i have left over on a cigar.[/SIZE]

Can walk again.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrennan10 View Post
    If i push mine flush against the wall it seems to do worse with maintaining temperature. Has anyone else experienced this?

The cooling device looks like a simple heatsink operation, i wonder how often it should be cleaned?
    The heat isn't able to escape so easily so performance is affected so it shouldn't be flush against anything. You should, at least, get a can of compressed air and blow it out once each month. I don't have a Vino but this is what I do with my water cooler. If I don't, performance is affected the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
    The heat isn't able to escape so easily so performance is affected so it shouldn't be flush against anything. You should, at least, get a can of compressed air and blow it out once each month. I don't have a Vino but this is what I do with my water cooler. If I don't, performance is affected the same way.

The vinotemps have a nice spacious vented box on the back.
    I'm sure it has some effect as i've moved it off the wall and it's cooled down 2 degrees.
    However it's still at 69 and i'm wondering if i should take the time to clean it or if it just hovers a bit higher in the summertime.
    [SIZE=2]My budget is $16 a day, so i spend 90 cents on food, 5 cents on water, and whatever i have left over on a cigar.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by pbrennan10 View Post
    The vinotemps have a nice spacious vented box on the back.
    I'm sure it has some effect as i've moved it off the wall and it's cooled down 2 degrees.
    However it's still at 69 and i'm wondering if i should take the time to clean it or if it just hovers a bit higher in the summertime.
    If memory serves, it says in the 'Manual' that the unit must be 4 inches off the wall to operate properly.
    Begging won't make it hurt less.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey View Post
    If memory serves, it says in the 'Manual' that the unit must be 4 inches off the wall to operate properly.
    A manual reader

I've only heard myths of your kind!

Thank you sir!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by King1of3 View Post
    When you say the ambient temp is 77 degrees max, how does that translate into what effects I would see if the temp in the house got higher than that?

Probably means only that you aren't likely to achieve maximum cooling effect with higher ambient temps. But since you'd run it on the lowest setting anyhow for "cigar-use", that shouldn't be an issue.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Full grown Puffer Fish troutbreath's Avatar

Quick question:

I have a 28 bottle vinotemp. I really don't think I will fill it with cigars -- just don't get to smoke that much. Can I use the top for cigars and the bottom for wine? I'm not going to fill it with bottles, either, I'm sure.

Thoughts?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish zamco17's Avatar

Heres another great link i found on the vinotemp

http://www.************.com/04/11/20...d-a-fridgador/
    Smoke Em IF You Got Em!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by troutbreath View Post
    Quick question:

I have a 28 bottle vinotemp. I really don't think I will fill it with cigars -- just don't get to smoke that much. Can I use the top for cigars and the bottom for wine? I'm not going to fill it with bottles, either, I'm sure.

Thoughts?
    You can if you don't mind your wine being 60-70F.

Storing your cigars at a lower temp is not a problem either, but in my experience, RH gets hard to stabilize in the Vino when you get under 60F. If you set your Vino for lower than 60, you'll probably need to switch to active humidification, because beads and foam will not keep up with the amount of humidity getting pulled out of the air.

Quote Originally Posted by jkorp View Post
    You can if you don't mind your wine being 60-70F.

Storing your cigars at a lower temp is not a problem either, but in my experience, RH gets hard to stabilize in the Vino when you get under 60F. If you set your Vino for lower than 60, you'll probably need to switch to active humidification, because beads and foam will not keep up with the amount of humidity getting pulled out of the air.
    Correct. Your whites should be put away at 54F and your reds at 60F.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
    Correct. Your whites should be put away at 54F and your reds at 60F.
    Yes, trying to maintain these temps in my Vino would cause it to run non-stop. That mean moisture / humidity constantly being condensed out of the air. BIG problem for ceegars.

Quote Originally Posted by zipa View Post
    Probably means only that you aren't likely to achieve maximum cooling effect with higher ambient temps. But since you'd run it on the lowest setting anyhow for "cigar-use", that shouldn't be an issue.
    This actually impacts the Vino's cooling ability more than you'd think. Until I turned the AC the Vino struggled hard to keep the temp below 70. I would say the ambient temp at that time was mid to low 80's. You have to remember this thing is a chiller not a fridge. It's not going to drop the internal temp by 40+ degrees. And since the Vino was running so hard, it was killing the RH.

I'm considering taking the outer shell off and checking the insulation, maybe even insulate it more to beef up the R value.

Full grown Puffer Fish troutbreath's Avatar

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it.

Thanks to the wretched filthy primate known as "munkey", this thread and a sale at Target I now have two Vino's and an angry wife!!!1

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast