Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glass Top Humidor Question

This is a discussion on Glass Top Humidor Question within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I just purchased what I consider to be a nice glasstop humidor with the hygrometer built into the front and ...

Hit 'em Hard and Deep! eboniknight's Avatar

Glass Top Humidor Question

I just purchased what I consider to be a nice glasstop humidor with the hygrometer built into the front and now I have a question that should probably be obvious. Where do I attach the humidifer?? Seems silly to attatch it to the glass. Can it be attached to the sides?? Any advice for this panic stricken newbie!!

Re: Glass Top Humidor Question

Usually the humidifier that comes with the humidor are garbage. I would buy Heartfelt beads and put them in the bottom of the humidor. If you rotate your stock you should be fine.

Don't forget to season your humidor before stocking it up.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eboniknight View Post
    I just purchased what I consider to be a nice glasstop humidor with the hygrometer built into the front and now I have a question that should probably be obvious. Where do I attach the humidifer?? Seems silly to attatch it to the glass. Can it be attached to the sides?? Any advice for this panic stricken newbie!!
    When I had a glass top I placed the humidifier on the top shelf. If you do not have a shelf you can put it on the bottom or attach it to the sides.

Glass tops are notorious for not holding humidity if the glass is not well sealed to the wood. Recommend you get some beads and a digital hygrometer. The beads can be placed in a bag and stored anywhere not in touch with the cigars. You can get a small piece of wax paper to put the beads on if you run out of room. Then you can lay the beads on top of the cigars. Not the best option, but it works.

Good luck with your new humidor!

Quote Originally Posted by ca21455 View Post

Glass tops are notorious for not holding humidity if the glass is not well sealed to the wood.
    Hmmm....this is a concern for me. I'm very close to buying a new humidor and really like the glass top. My main concern is proper a seal, before aesthetics.

Anyone else have a glass top humidor? If so, have you had any issues with the seal?

Thanks!

The One and Only GOT ssutton219's Avatar

I have a glass top (and front) and it has the analog Hygro in the front and it leaks....but I am in no hurry to fix it as it leaks just enough to hold the beads @ 62-65%.

Its easy to re-seal the humi if need be...there have been a few posts about it here.

Shawn
    If the thought of a lil mold spores or beetle eggs in a cigar bother you..maybe you shouldnt smoke...cigars are a plant that we allow to ferment (rot) for our enjoyment...

Young Puffer Fish

i have a glass top milano from cheaphumidors, it seems to hold humidity fine. i really like it. it is nice to be able to check your temp and humidity without opening it. and of course i can look at my stogies all day long without opeing the box and losing humitidy.

Leading Puffer Fish s15driftking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobychu View Post
    Usually the humidifier that comes with the humidor are garbage. I would buy Heartfelt beads and put them in the bottom of the humidor. If you rotate your stock you should be fine.

1. That DOES NOT help answer his question as all.

To the OP.

I own a glasstop 300 count and i put my humidifiers in the basin next to some cigars... worked fine until i upgraded to beads, then to an active system. You should be fine just placing it on one of the sides or in the very front by the feet of the cigars.

As far as "the glass wood seal isnt good" arguement goes....

Tampahumidor says that mien is sealed where the glass meets the wood with a gasket... whether or not its true .... who knows.

The obvious fact is that most of the humis are made overseas...so, if you buy one glasstop from tampahumi (and they say its sealed with a gasket goo of some sort) chances are their other ones will be too... because they usually all come off the same chinese assembly line.

Regardless.... i taped over every possible leaky are on mine because i was sittign at around 62% humidity and it stayed right there... the low RH issue was due to the wintertime weather and RH...

heres the thread...

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthr...light=paranoid

All in all, i stick with my impending statement..."are glasstop humis more prone to leaking? Yes, does mine? no"
    WTB - GURKHA

Can walk again.

Quote Originally Posted by eboniknight View Post
    Where do I attach the humidifer??
    Bottom center. Humidity rises.

Quote Originally Posted by s15driftking
    That DOES NOT help answer his question as all.
    No, but good advice nontheless.

Quote Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
    Wow.....I was just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by tobychu View Post
    Wow.....I was just trying to help.
    I thought it was a pretty good response, FWIW. The question was about location and that was answered - with a little extra advice.

I changed from the puck humidifier, which seemed to vary a lot and it was hard to tell when to recharge it, and I now use the 65% Heartfelt beads. The RH stays pretty dead on now, and the beads just need an occasional check IMHO.
    Tim D. ~ Woodstock, GA

The One and Only GOT ssutton219's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
    Actually it does...He said

Originally Posted by tobychu

Looks like "Where should I put the Humidifier was answered there.

However you decide to humidify your Humidor is up to you..I have used the foam, beads, jell and the water pillows. The main thing is not to stress about it...its suppose to be relaxing....

Shawn
    If the thought of a lil mold spores or beetle eggs in a cigar bother you..maybe you shouldnt smoke...cigars are a plant that we allow to ferment (rot) for our enjoyment...

jbo
    Puffer Fish with many spikes jbo's Avatar

I also have a glasstop that my daughter bought me a couple of Christmas' ago. I have tried placing the humidifier in every part of the box. I was never able to keep the RH above 68% and most of the time it hovered around 60%. However, a good friend of mine gave me some of the beads (actually this is my second go round with beads...nobody told me not to immerse them in water in which case they turn into popcorn...but I digress)...

Here's what I did and it might be helpful to you. I took masking tape and applied it to the box where it seals...I put it on the left side because it looked like it wasn't sealing right and I put it three strips thick. Then the aforementioned beads came in. I take an old leftover humidifier and line it thick with paper towels. Then I really wet down the paper towels and put it in the bottom of my humidor next to the beads. The beads soak up the moisture but don't crack. When the paper towels dry out the beads are charged and the box has stayed in the 70% range even though the air is very, very dry. Hope this helps.

BTW, again, the beads and the humidifier are in the bottom of the box because, as has been mentioned, humidity rises.
    Oskee Wow Wow!

People getting flamed for trying to help......Merry Christmas.

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

Full grown Puffer Fish

My glass top also has no problem with the seal. If your really worried caulk the glass with some silicone sealer and wipe off the excess to leave a clean edge
    [SIZE=+1]MIAMI CANES 7-5
    NJ DEVILS 20-11-3
    [/SIZE]

Puffer Fish with some spikes fsjonsey's Avatar

The best way to seal any cheap glass windowed humidor is with a thin bead of clear GE silicone II caulk around any of the internal glass to wood seams. Do this when you first purchase the humidor. Allow it to sit open for a week for the silicone to cure and any odor to dissipate. Once the smell is gone, season it as you normally would and stock it up. It should hold humidity fine from now on.
    Tubes n' Tubos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast