Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)

This is a discussion on Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics) within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I love lighters and have a soft spot in my heart for old butane lighters... In the mid-late 70's I ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Lexxxus's Avatar

Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)

I love lighters and have a soft spot in my heart for old butane lighters... In the mid-late 70's I was a cigarette smoking young adult who loved gadgets and always was spending my money on the latest "cool" lighter...

Maruman is a name that comes to mind and I thought I'd share some info on the long defunct brand.

Brief company history:

1950's
    1950 Nippon Gold Metal Industry Co., Ltd. Established
    1952 Changed the company name to Maruman Co., Ltd.
    1953 Development of the first electric gold plating method in Japan
    1955 Started the manufacture of wrist watch bands
    1956 Started exporting wristwatch bands
    1959 Development of the first gas lighter in Japan
    1960's
    1961 Won the first prize in the New York International Lighter Fair
    1965 Development of first electronic gas lighter in world

In the 70's and 80's they continued to produce lighters and made some of the most unique and innovative designs of the time. It was during the 70's they got into golf club manufacturing (which they continue to do)

I have not seen a new Maruman lighter since the late 70's (early 80's?) and I always keep an eye out for a minty used one or NOS (new old stock) The nicest Marumans (IMO) being the electronic ones made late in their history.

They had one with an LCD clock and even this one that incorporated a mini-calculator (OK, that's far from their nicest, but if you had one at the time you were Tres cool!)

They had a line of "IC" (Integrated Circuit) lighters that were ahead of their time (this was around the same era as the Pulsar LED watch when technology was starting to enter consumer goods in a big way)

This is a Solatron (Circa '78 / also Japanese) and they too did an LCD watch / clock lighter (I had an identical one that some femme scooped from me in my bar-hopping days)

Back to the Marumans: They also marketed a cheaper lower-end line (whose name escapes me) that were quite inferior, but the Maruman brand was very well made and produced a great flame.

Their downside was they were susceptable to "clogging" if not used. You can see them on auction and they are often sold in non-working condition.

The rubber seals were another problem as they would leak over many years on inactivity. They also had a weird filler valve and not all butane cans had the appropriate nozzle.

Should you find one in non-working condition I'll caution that they are difficult to repair but a fellow by the name of Richard (in the UK) operates a company called "Strike a Light" he is an expert who repairs and services these lost classics. Strike A Light - repair your lighter (Spares and Repairs)

If memory serves, it was after the demise of Maruman that Colibri surfaced (and made and "Killer" product early on) And now they're gone too.

Got Maruman?

Post pics!

Maybe I'll snap some of mine and maybe get some pics from Richard. He has had virtually every one made.
    Last edited by Lexxxus; 01-23-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Books are useless. I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! (H.S.) Lexxxus

Here's another Vintage Maruman...

This one's a beauty. It's an IC 508 (I think?)

Heavy gold plate with blue lacquer... Circa approx 1979.

The workmanship on these old IC models was incredible.
    Books are useless. I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! (H.S.) Lexxxus

Re: Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)

I've got an old Japanese lighter at home. I think it's a Solatron, but I'm not sure. I'll take a looksee when I get home and try to shoot some pics. It's a very slim lighter with no buttons to push. Just open the top, and touch a certain spot, and it lights. It was working flawlessly last time I used it.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

You might have a Maruman on your hands... that describes a series they made that was part of the IC line. Yes, please post the picture!
    Last edited by Lexxxus; 01-26-2009 at 03:50 PM.

It turns out it is neither a Solatron nor a Maruman. It is a Win, with "#7100" on the bottom. I just did a search on Google and found nothing about the company, aside from a half dozen eBay listings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-img_2790sm.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-img_2793sm.jpg  

If you read my initial post I write about a lower cost line by Maruman... in was in fact WIN!

So, you in essence do have a Maruman!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxxus View Post
    If you read my initial post I write about a lower cost line by Maruman... in was in fact WIN!

So, you in essence do have a Maruman!
    Well, it appears I have helped you remember the name. At least I was good for something!

Newbie in the ocean

Hi!

I was so glad to find this forum, and this message in particular. About 5 years ago, I inherited a Maruman silver Halley Deluxe lighter from my grandpa (personnalized with his initials). Needless to say it has a great sentimal value to me, only problem... it needs repair. So far, no luck in finding someone to do so. Your message gave me hope, but "Strike a light" apparently does not do repairs anymore. Do you know anyone else who could repair it? At this point, any tips would be valuable... Thanks!

Jennifer.

Newbie in the ocean

Hi I bought a Maruman lighter really cheap at a market a while ago. It's a
    MaruMan GL-30 SILVER P.

Though there is a problem with it where the gas exits at the top the is no kind of break for the gas... First time i filled it and tried it got a 2 meter long flame :P . i really want to fix it does annyone have any tips on how i can fix it?

And maybe annyone know if it is worth annything? =) Cause i bought it for like 2 dollars.

There should be some pics of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-cimg0872.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-cimg0873.jpg  

Newbie in the ocean

Well I had to take pictures, register an account and .. actually kinda worth it. Great thread!

I got this silver-scratched finish Maruman IC-501, with Epson writen on the bottom. It bolonged to my father, and for all I can tell it's still in mint condition (my father never smoked, it was clearly a present from when he lived in Japan, etc.). Only today did I decide to put it to use, and while looking for what the appropriate battery type may be - I stumbled upon this thread.

But yeah - beautiful lighter if you ask me. Almost feel bad about using it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-maruman-lighter-ic-501-03.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-maruman-lighter-ic-501-02.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-maruman-lighter-ic-501-01.jpg  
    Last edited by Shorty_sx; 02-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Newbie in the ocean

Hi Guys,

Does this blue enamel, gold-coloured Maruman count as vintage? I was given it by a dear friend in (I think) 1989 and as you see, it still works like a charm. I figured you may like to see it. If the pics don't appear in this post I'll try again.

Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-2011-11-15-18.58.54.jpgMaruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-2011-11-15-18.59.29.jpg

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Laah View Post
    Hi!

I was so glad to find this forum, and this message in particular. About 5 years ago, I inherited a Maruman silver Halley Deluxe lighter from my grandpa (personnalized with his initials). Needless to say it has a great sentimal value to me, only problem... it needs repair. So far, no luck in finding someone to do so. Your message gave me hope, but "Strike a light" apparently does not do repairs anymore. Do you know anyone else who could repair it? At this point, any tips would be valuable... Thanks!

Jennifer.
    Evening All,
    I have a beautiful lighter Maruman IC 503 18 kt Gold Plated but unfortunately i have the same problem... it needs repairs but helas i have try everywhere in the UK to find someone that could repair this beauty that looks like a Cartier.
    Could someone please be kind enough to send us an address elsewhere out of the UK?Here are some pictures of the lighter hoping that you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-maruman-002.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-maruman-005.jpg  

Newbie in the ocean

My grandfather just gave me an old Maruman IC lighter... I dont know much about it and im not sure if it still works. Any useful information or anyone you know that can repair this typr of lighter in NJ. But what i am wondering about the MOST is the battery it takes and the whole entire elecrtical system it works with, If anyone knows much about that please do let me know. I attached a picture of it below.

Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-ic-lighhtterr.jpg

Newbie in the ocean

Hi, I just bought an old Maruman lighter, it works perfect but I would like some information about it (production year, model, price, anything), I really hope you can help me

Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-p7140081.jpgMaruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-p7140082.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-p7140085.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-p7140082.jpg   Maruman vintage gas lighters (info & pics)-p7140081.jpg  
    Last edited by stoner_head; 07-16-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Newbie in the ocean

Hi All,
    Regarding a Maruman IC lighter model IC-502 (repeated sparking). I got this lighter in 1977 would like to know what type flat cell battery/voltage I have to use.
    I thank you in advance for any reply.

Best,

Leo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast