Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing smell from humidor.

This is a discussion on Removing smell from humidor. within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; So I just got in to this hobby about a month ago, and i have outgrown my 20 ct humidor. ...

Young Puffer Fish storm_rider_1's Avatar

Removing smell from humidor.

So I just got in to this hobby about a month ago, and i have outgrown my 20 ct humidor. And I remembered this old wooden box i have up in the attic, that looks alot like a humidor. So it turns out it is an old humidor, so i cleaned it up and seasoned it, and it holds 70% perfectly. The problem is, i used this thing to hold paraphernalia, from when i used to smoke some other stuff back in my collage days, and this thing stinks. i am assuming that storing my cigars in a smelly humidor is just going to pass that smell on to my cigars. I am guessing the smell is soaked into the wood, and there isnt much i can do. Anyone have any ideas on removing the smell?

I am not sure where it came from but i remember storing football cards in it when i was a kid, so i would like to use it if possible, has a little sentimental value to it.

Re: Removing smell from humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by storm_rider_1 View Post
    i am assuming that storing my cigars in a smelly humidor is just going to pass that smell on to my cigars. I am guessing the smell is soaked into the wood, and there isnt much i can do.
    I think you answered your own question. Unless you want your cigars smelling like stale bong water, you're most likely not going to able to use that humi. The only thing I can think of is to remove and replace all the cedar lining but even that may not work. Maybe someone better qualified than me will chime in.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Pour denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol onto a soft clean cloth and wipe the inside of the humidor thoroughly to remove any and all traces of the odor. Apply more alcohol to the cloth as needed but do not saturate the wood,,,just enough to see traces as you wipe down the inside of the humidor.

Set the box aside to dry, making sure it is left open to air out for at least 24 hours or until the odor is gone. If this doesn't fix it I wouldn't even mess with it anymore as it was a small one to begin with unless it is an heirloom.

I know of one BOTL who did this and then put ground coffee beans inside the humidor afterwards to help with the "cleansing" and he said it got rid of all of the odors. The only thing you will lose is some ground beans and the time it took to wipe down the humi.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Razzmatazz Eustice Barlow RazzBarlow's Avatar

What about baking soda, like in my fridge?
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Conan the Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
    What about baking soda, like in my fridge?
    That would work as well as I forgot to add that. Just ensure that you put it in a container so it doesn't spill out and I wouldn't leave it in there any longer than you need to get the bad smell out. I would not put cigars in with baking soda or coffee as you want your cigars to taste like cigars and not wanting the other ingredients to rob those flavors.

No longer a community member.

Have a hooters girl holding a cheeseburger and I'll come out I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Have a hooters girl holding a cheeseburger and I'll come out I promise.
    ROFL,,,you could have a Hooters girl holding up pretty anything and I'm there. I go there just to do my neck and eye exercises as I can almost see behind myself now and I can almost turn my neck all the way around a la Linda Blair.

Young Puffer Fish storm_rider_1's Avatar

thanks for the ideas guys, i will give them a try, and report back how it goes. I will work on the Hooters girl, but that will be a little harder to find than coffee and baking soda.

Disinterested

If any tars or resins leached into the wood, youre hosed. Don't even bother. If it's just ambient aromas, the etoh trick could work. Just remember that etoh is going to destroy any oils in the cedar and dry it out substantially. It wont smell like cedar again, but it may stop smelling like pozzot.

Baking soda wont do diddly for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    If any tars or resins leached into the wood, youre hosed. Don't even bother. If it's just ambient aromas, the etoh trick could work. Just remember that etoh is going to destroy any oils in the cedar and dry it out substantially. It wont smell like cedar again, but it may stop smelling like pozzot.

Baking soda wont do diddly for this application.
    Oh contraire my brother,,, I knew I read about this trick somewhere and found it again coming from CigarNexus Cigar Counsel. Yes, I tend to read a bit much and recently found out that instead of buying the PG from the cigar stores to "freshen" our hygrometers to the tune of about $20 they sell the same stuff at the pharmacy for like $8 a bottle.

My humidor has retained the smell of Chocolate flavored cigars and I am unable to get the smell out. It affects the other cigars that are in there, even after the Chocolate ones have been out for three months. What do you recommend in this situation?

Let me begin by saying that you should never place any flavored cigars in your humidor, but I know you have already come to this conclusion without my help. Typically the odor will dissipate over time, however there are two things you can do to help speed the process along. The first is to empty your humidor and then place it somewhere with the lid open to air out for a couple of weeks or so. Ideally a place with good air circulation and on nice days set it outside if possible, as the fresh air will do it wonders. However, I caution you to not leave it outside in the rain or overnight, as the moisture will result in even more troubles. The second thing you can do is place a bowl of baking soda in it, close the lid, and allow it to rest undisturbed for a week. Granted you will have to "break in" your humidor from scratch to get it back to the ideal relative humidity, but these suggestions should help to resolve your chocolate odor problem.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Stogin's Avatar

Bumping an old thread, but if I've got a smell of burnt pipe tobacco (as in somebody left a pipe in the humidor, not placed burning tobacco) in a buddy's humidor, will baking soda/etoh work, and which would be more effective?

Not Here

I would try the Baking Soda. It sure can't hurt. If not I have also known brothers who lightly sand the inside and then do the Baking Soda. The way I figure it is you have nothing to lose so you may as well try it.
    BIA!!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Seasick Sailor's Avatar

I just bought some activated charcoal from the pet store.

I'm going to place it in tray and use it to remove the plastic smell from my new Edgestar. (if it ever gets here. Damn weather.)

This may work in your humidor as well.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes fivespdcat's Avatar

I would guess any of the above would work. I especially like the baking soda or charcoal solutions, then the sanding if that doesn't work. If I did sand, I would do it with a very fine grit maybe 400 or higher... Good luck and hope it turns out well!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Stogin's Avatar

Haha, yea I'm not going to rip into my buddy's humi with an 80 grit power sander. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes if it works!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast