Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 147 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Kitty litter set- up.

This is a discussion on Kitty litter set- up. within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; So many of you have P.M me regarding Kitty Litter set up. Figured i would get you all started here ...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Kitty litter set- up.

So many of you have P.M me regarding Kitty Litter set up. Figured i would get you all started here are the basics.

Whats the R/H in your Home?
    I ask you this because in new York where i am it is close to 90% outside right now 75% in the house. I have been running dry litter in my humi since spring. I probably wont add water till December soon as the heat goes on full time. Even then i run a humidifier in my home. and try to keep it no less than 50% in the home at all times. so i add just enough water to bring it up to the 60-63% i am looking for. You see the litter pulls the excess moisture out of the air. My humi is 60 -63% running dry litter. Since April if it gets dry for a couple of days then it releases the moisture it has collected. So hydration is really not necessary unless it is dry for extended periods of time. Like winter when it gets bone dry. Then i add an oasis set at 65% the litter does the rest. An active passive set up. Many of you tell me you add water to the litter and the R/H is 80%. That's because you shouldn't be adding anything . When the R/H in your home is higher than you want in your humidor. Even then never hydrate more than 50% of the litter. Hope this answers your questions.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Re: Kitty litter set- up.

My office hovers around 50%rH, I put in plenty of litter, sprayed it lightly (about 40-50% wet) and it holds at 65%rH like magic. I'd swear this stuff was designed for humidors. Even with winter approaching the rH doesn't change significantly in the house here in North Texas. We'll see what happens but I don't expect much to change.

As a side note, try mentioning kitty litter on some of those *other* places on the internet! They all swear you're crazy! Talk about a flame war! The bottom line is, just try it! If you watch your hygro until you are convinced then you have nothing to lose but $10 for 10lbs of litter. Compare that to the $32/lb for the beads! I'm sure the beads work and are a great product specially made for the purpose, but I swear to you that the litter does too.

Remember, we aren't talking about the gravel type gray rocks that you automatically think of with kitty litter. These are white and opaque, just like the other stuff. It honestly looks nothing like kitty litter. Just call it gel and nobody knows the difference.
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. - Hermann Hesse

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Mutombo's Avatar

Thanks for the info, I was actually wondering about this the other day. Lots of people talking about using kitty litter but not actually explaining how it's done!

I'll probably try this when I move to a winecooler...

Since Tony got me straightened out everything is working perfectly.

Humi

Cooler (notice the humidity reading is going up because I took the hygro out of the cooler)

smoke em if ya got em rudeJARHEAD's Avatar

Tony
    I went with the KL on a second whine-a-dor and you were spot on with the set up. I appreciate you sharing the info.
    DEFENSE OF A NATION IS THE DUTY OF ITS CITIZENS. SERVICE AS A MARINE IS THE HONOR OF ITS ELITE.

MY pleasure my brothers that's what its all about. Pay it forward as i promised to do when someone taught me! Peace!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Went to the Shop Rite yesterday and picked up a 8lb bag for 8 bucks on sale. came home and pulled my pucks apart, took out the green stuff and filled them with the litter. pm'd Tony and he straightened me out. opened it this morning and it was sitting at 66% came home today at 4 and still sitting at 66%....Magic i tell ya!!!! if anyone wants some to play with i have a whole bag full!! send me your address and ill send out a bag full... Funny thing is my wife now thinks she's getting a kitten for our anniversary!!!! NOT!!!!
    "Laugh now Cry later"

Quote Originally Posted by ptpablo View Post
    Went to the Shop Rite yesterday and picked up a 8lb bag for 8 bucks on sale. came home and pulled my pucks apart, took out the green stuff and filled them with the litter. pm'd Tony and he straightened me out. opened it this morning and it was sitting at 66% came home today at 4 and still sitting at 66%....Magic i tell ya!!!! if anyone wants some to play with i have a whole bag full!! send me your address and ill send out a bag full... Funny thing is my wife now thinks she's getting a kitten for our anniversary!!!! NOT!!!!
    I have no use for cats they are to selfish! Love dogs they are kind loving compassionate, but kitty litter is alright!
    Jimi Hendrix

KL is for cat boxes...
    Beads are for humidors.....

An "oath" has no expiration date......

Evolving Lead Gorrilla VoteKinky06's Avatar

What kind of kitty litter am I looking for? I have shilalas beads in my humi and cannot get it below 72%. It's about 75 in my home. And how much would
    I need for a vino 28?
    "The American republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's money."

Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by VoteKinky06 View Post
    What kind of kitty litter am I looking for? I have shilalas beads in my humi and cannot get it below 72%. It's about 75 in my home. And how much would
    I need for a vino 28?
    Any unscented silica will work. Put a small dish or Tupperware full in a humi i guarantee in no time you be around 60%. In a vino 28 start with 2 pounds add as necessary.
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    KL is for cat boxes...
    Beads are for humidors.....

We all know you use it Bull Man nothing to be ashamed of!
    Jimi Hendrix

Maturing Puffer Fish AxemansHell's Avatar

Interesting info....MIght have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing Tony.

Kat Krap Kontanment Media JustOneMoreStick's Avatar

for what its worth I have a 50 bottle fridge and have about 4 lbs mostly dry in mine. I find that the cooling plate in the back will condense and release water when it cools/warms and the litter just regulates the humidity.
    Alcohol is to stupidity as steroids are to athletics...."performance" enhancers

Quote Originally Posted by VoteKinky06 View Post
    I need for a vino 28?
    I am using Exquisicat:

ExquisiCat® Crystals Cat Litter - Litter - Cat - PetSmart

Page 1 of 147 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast