Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Converting a broken wine fridge into humidor

This is a discussion on Converting a broken wine fridge into humidor within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hey Everyone I have a large wine cooler, 28 bottle that the compressor went out on. I want to convert ...

Newbie in the ocean

Converting a broken wine fridge into humidor

Hey Everyone

I have a large wine cooler, 28 bottle that the compressor went out on. I want to convert it to a humidor. I don't have a large collection, but I dont have a big humidor yet!! Any ideas? Should I line it with spanish cedar? Should there be a fan in it somehow? use beads to keep humidty?Thanks!

Scotch & Cigars

Re: Converting a broken wine fridge into humidor

I have a working wine fridge but I don't turn it on. Currently I use crystal kitty litter, and I store my smokes in empty wooden cigar boxes. Have had zero issues so far, temp remains 65-67 and humidity is 65-66 but it rarely ever moves from 65rh.

If you want to use a fan in yours you can either hookup an old PC fan or grab an Oust fan.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
    I have a working wine fridge but I don't turn it on. Currently I use crystal kitty litter, and I store my smokes in empty wooden cigar boxes. Have had zero issues so far, temp remains 65-67 and humidity is 65-66 but it rarely ever moves from 65rh.

If you want to use a fan in yours you can either hookup an old PC fan or grab an Oust fan.
    Do you use humidity beads?

Scotch & Cigars

Nope I use the crystal kitty litter instead, keeps my humidity perfect and is much cheaper than beads, so if you are on a budget they are definitely a good way to go.

Tim... I'm about to do the fridge/ wine cooler thing too... I got a free Vinotemp. I personally use the beads and they work flawless. Let me look up this great thread on how to do this cheap and easy.

So Tim was wondering how your broken wine fridge was working out for you ... my compressor went out in mine this year and dont see me fixing it was thinking about making the conversion too???

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BlackandGold508's Avatar

Hey guys. Love the idea of these wineadors. Maybe someday. I actually have a mint condition 50"s style Fridgidaire refrig that i am thinking of turning into a huge humidor. The guts for cooling it have already been removed. The door shuts very tight and sealed. It has nice shelves on the door, and a nice ice box for extra storage built in. if possible, was thinking maybe getting some cedar, and attaching it to the shelves, and maybe line the freezer part to. is the cedar necessary if i am gonna keep singles in old cigar boxes? Gonna use kitty litter in mesh bags along the bottom, and probably pc fans to circulate. Does this seem possible? would i have to keep cigar boxes closed, or could i remove the lids? Any info is greatly appreciated !!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tiger187126's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tiger187126 View Post
    i was going to buy a newair 28, but i asked my dad (him and his wife enjoy wine) if he had a wine cooler he was looking to get rid of. well sure enough he had this:

it doesn't work, as i've read about these hairs, but it does seal just fine and the humidity looks good.

apparently if i want it to work i've got to solder in a new fuse, but i'll save that until summer.

it's basically a storage humi for boxes and cigars that need a little aging.
    this is from another thread, but i have a broken haier and all i did was put in the KL and throw my boxes in there. holding at 60-63% throughout the cooler. i have a couple fans on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackandGold508 View Post
    Hey guys. Love the idea of these wineadors. Maybe someday. I actually have a mint condition 50"s style Fridgidaire refrig that i am thinking of turning into a huge humidor. The guts for cooling it have already been removed. The door shuts very tight and sealed. It has nice shelves on the door, and a nice ice box for extra storage built in. if possible, was thinking maybe getting some cedar, and attaching it to the shelves, and maybe line the freezer part to. is the cedar necessary if i am gonna keep singles in old cigar boxes? Gonna use kitty litter in mesh bags along the bottom, and probably pc fans to circulate. Does this seem possible? would i have to keep cigar boxes closed, or could i remove the lids? Any info is greatly appreciated !!!
    Keith with what i have read on here in the past month (almost an expert) I have determined any fridge will work but is best not to run the compressor since yours has none you are good. As far as shelves anything will work but if you really got the time or $$$ why not change out the shelves and turn them into Spanish Cedar shelves this gives you some nice wooden shelves for look and that great smell as well as to help maintain moisture. As for humidity I will say KL best and cheapest choice. PC fans are a great idea and I may suggest to think about adding a timer you you control when it runs. As far as boxes open or closed this is more of a personal preference from what I have read on other threads. If you are low on stock and want the wow factor with friends open them up and display them like a B&M would. If you are full of sticks and dont have the room closed boxes work good too. I personally plan to make my own shelves and drawers much like Home of The Chasidor I will only use KL for humidity I will use a few pc fans on a timer and trying to figure out how to do a few led light strips for wow factor. From what I have seem some people on here make its all about how much you want to spend and what effort you are willing to put into it.

Tim looks good hope you are enjoying it.
    Boycotting Dr. Pepper cause they killed Dublin Dr.Pepper

Hey Josh, thanks for a prompt and informative reply. The only reason i am hesitating on this is because of the fact that there is no display capability, unless opening and shutting the door, which i would be nervous about messing with the % to much. Or, to cut a hole in the door, and rivot and seal in a piece of plexiglass. The wineadors have such a cool display look. A friend suggested tonight, that if i do this, would be cool to hole saw out a hole that a round digital hygrometer would squeeze into, then seal it. Which would make for opening and closing a little less, unless showing or grabbing a stick. Will try to post a pic of the inside of the fridge tomorrow to generate some ideas. Talk soon.

No problem Keith but if you are gonna cut a hole in the door I would do a plexi or glass window out of it. I would consider looking for a hygrometer with a remote censor instead of just cutting a hole for it. This way you can have your humidity without having to open the fridge. I do think the wine fridge may be a little bit better in presentation, but this of course depending on how much work you want to put into the fridge. The fridge will have the better storage so in case you want to rival your local B&M then you have a better chance. For me I am still inching down the slope so I can drag my feet on buying so I can plan out my wine fridge down the road.
    Boycotting Dr. Pepper cause they killed Dublin Dr.Pepper

Thanks again Josh. Gonna start messing around with the fridge this weekend. Great idea on the remote hygrometer. I already found a buddy who said he would do the plexiglass for me. Will take pics from begin to end. Talk soon !!

Heres the inside. Very Clean. Shelves are missing, but there are pegs to mount shelves on. Was thinking wire rack for now, and using the cigar boxes like i previously mentiones. KL on the bottom, a remote hygrometer, and maybe some cedar dividers here and there? Think it will work?
    Last edited by BlackandGold508; 03-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast