Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

What did you convert to a humidor?

This is a discussion on What did you convert to a humidor? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hi there. I live in Alaska and no one will ship large humidors up here, so I think I may ...

What did you convert to a humidor?

Hi there. I live in Alaska and no one will ship large humidors up here, so I think I may have to convert something else... a wine fridge, cooler, old furniture. And I need inspiration.

Anyone want to show off their cool converted humidors? Whats your interesting conversion? I want to hear about it, if you'd like to show it off.

Thanks guys,
    -Ian

aaaaaand I just realized I mispelled the title and now I can't change it. Doh!
    Last edited by Blaylock; 01-30-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling in title

Re: Whats did you convert to a humidor?

There are lots of ongoing threads you should check out on here with good ideas and pics(!) for inspiration. The 'stickys' @ the top of each section are full of info. Welcome from another newb.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Reino's Avatar

in order of expense and popularity:
    tupperware, coolers, wine fridge.
    Lots of info on all the above here.
    Use search in the Puff bar up top.
    oh yea, watch the slope, it gets slippery quickly!!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I haven't done it, but plan to in the future....

an antique ice box. I have 3 of them, and one of the 'less special" ones i don't mind gutting and lining in spanish cedar

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jswaykos's Avatar

I'd definitely look at tupperware containers as that'll be the cheapest, easiest way to turn something in to a humidor. Wine coolers are popular, too. As for unique, I've been meaning to hit up some garage sales and antique stores to look for a small cabinet to convert. It'd be a fun project, and since the structure would already be built, the conversion/customization would be fun!

By the way, Alaska is on my short list of places I'd LOVE to visit. The day I retire I'm embarking on a road trip from southern California and will drive there. It'll get rough once I leave the states, but it'll be fun.
    Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasmoke View Post
    Hi there. I live in Alaska and no one will ship large humidors up here, so I think I may have to convert something else... a wine fridge, cooler, old furniture. And I need inspiration.

Anyone want to show off their cool converted humidors? Whats your interesting conversion? I want to hear about it, if you'd like to show it off.

Thanks guys,
    -Ian

aaaaaand I just realized I mispelled the title and now I can't change it. Doh!

Not sure what your budget is but there is a member here by the name of Waxing Moon who does some amazing work. He has a humidor on the bench for me right now. You might want to check with him and see if he would be willing to ship to ya. Here is a thread with lots of his work.

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/retail...te-thread.html

Here is a link to his hompeage, you should be able to contacthim through it.

Waxing Moon Wood

Maturing Puffer Fish

Good luck and keep surfing this site. Lots of info to be found.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ARCHAIC's Avatar

i have a coffin that i keep looking at & wanting tpo turn into a cabinet humi. one of these days i will!!
    No, i will not tell you how much my stash is worh or how much i spend on cigars!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Athion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    i have a coffin that i keep looking at & wanting tpo turn into a cabinet humi. one of these days i will!!
    That would be freaking AWESOME You could put it in a room all by itself, surrounded by flowers and make people talk quietly when they are in the room LOL I love it
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    - Mark Knopfler

I have a cooler that I'm "seasoning" right now. I've got kitty litter and some empty boxes in it right now. All said and done I have about $46 into it at the moment and it will hold about four times as many sticks as the $120 humidor I've been struggling to hold humidity in. Cost/performance you just can't beat coolers.