Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Converting an 8 Bottle Wine Cooler Into a Humidor Help. A Newbies First Time :-)

This is a discussion on Converting an 8 Bottle Wine Cooler Into a Humidor Help. A Newbies First Time :-) within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; To start off with thanks for all the help you can give me on this first attempt at a Wineador. ...

Central Cali Cigar Crew falconman515's Avatar

Converting an 8 Bottle Wine Cooler Into a Humidor Help. A Newbies First Time :-)

To start off with thanks for all the help you can give me on this first attempt at a Wineador.

I purchased a Emerson FR23SL 8 bottle wine cooler from craigslist for 20 bucks with the intention of just putting my current Bally II humidor directly in the fridge cause I am having a problem with the temperature not going any lower than 78 degrees in it. But of course this cooler is literally about 1/8 inch to small width wise for it to fit.

Sooo I thought OK this is a cheap little Thermoelectric unit (which I had read is best for wineadors) that really I can get some beads for and throw in my stack on top of the current racks (I'm gonna look to try and find some cedar trays of course to lay on top of the racks cause all my cigars at the moment are not boxed cigars they are all singles).

So please help in what I should do... This unit is 0.8 cubic inches so I went to Heartfelt Industries website and looked at there 70% humidity beads and figured for my unit I could just get the tubed version of the heartfelt beads that will work for up 1.2 cubic feet and mine is only 0.8 to humidify my cooler.

So I would assume from there what I need to do is clean the wine cooler get the plastic smell out (please help on the best way to do this) then what from there turn it on I suppose put in a few bowl of distilled water to get the humidity started in there then add my cedar trays if I can find then and take out the distilled water and put in this tube and be good to go to put in my cigars correct?

Do I need to do anything else other than that? Am I missing anything?

Any suggestions or changes you think I should make please let know.

Thanks so much for the help.

Re: Converting an 8 Bottle Wine Cooler Into a Humidor Help. A Newbies First Time :-)

Wineador Drawers and Shelves

Kitty Litter Set-up

As far as the plastic smell, you can try newspaper for a couple of days or washing it out with baking soda. Get a digital hygro and follow the instructions in the KL set up thread. Get a little tupperware that will fit on the wire shelf while your SC ones are being made.

Sit back and relax knowing KL has your back and you saved some money! Reinvest in some sticks, get your post count up and do the Noob PIF and Noobie Sampler Trade.

Open an account on CBID and buy a bigger wineador!

Welcome to the slope!

What are you trying to season with the DW? Just get some KL (use twice as much KL as you would beads according to the Heartfelt calculator) put it in a shallow container and lightly spray with DW.

Get a good digital hygro and calibrate it.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Re: Converting an 8 Bottle Wine Cooler Into a Humidor Help. A Newbies First Time :-)

Thanks so much for the info.... I actually found some nice cheap cedar shelves that will fit perfect on my two wine shelves from cheaphumidors website (there only 10 bucks a piece) so I think as opposed to spending a bunch of money on made shelves this is the perfect route for me (trying to really pinch pennies).

So I'm for sure good on the cedar shelves now but this kitty liter thing I need to look into. I am going to place this order for these shelves but they have for $15 some of the good silica beads (1/2 pound) that I figured since I was placing this order might as well get the good stuff instead of the KL route right?

Like I said I want to be thrifty but think maybe the stuff that's made for humidifying would be better and it wont cost that much more.

So I'm gonna place the order for the 2 shelves and the bag of beads from there.... is there anything I need?

How do I go about seasoning the wine cooler prior to puting in my stick? I will have this new fresh cooler with new unseasoned cedar shelves.... Do i need to take a couple days and wipe down the cedar shelves with DW and put in the silica beads for a few days to humidify it correctly and get it stable before I put in my 50 or so sticks that are waiting in my 79 degrees hot humidor in the time being?

I just to make sure I am thorough and I do this correctly. I never planned on going this route cause I have a brand new 100$ humidor that is just way to hot and I dont want to ruin the cigars of course so I dont have much choice but to go this route.... plus I found this 20$ wine cooler that for the size of cigar collection (wont ever have much more than 100-150 sticks at a time really) is perfect I just need to make sure I am humidifying it correctly and doing it right?

Also I bought a kit from Thompson cigar... its 3 2oz. gel jars with PG solution... will these work in the cooler? I didn't think they would considering they were like gel and may get to cold to do what its suppose to do but just a question. Its sucks I spent this money on the humidor and all the stuff and its a waste cause of the heat.

Also I bought a Caliber III digital hygrometer and thermometer as well so I assume that will work fine to mount on the front of one of the shelves so I can see it through the glass to make sure the temp the cooler is saying is correct and also make sure I'm at the correct humidity level. Is this a good electronic hygrometer to have in the cooler? It should work just fine I would assume.

Not sure if I am missing anything more ut if I am please chime in so I can order the stuff I need to order and do this correctly.

Thanks again for all the great help on new wineador.

Yep. You'll need to season the shelves. Just the same as you would season a humidor. Not sure about the gel, thats not something I have any experience with.

Yep good choice on the hygro. Just make sure you have it dialed in. Should be an easy day from there.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish sligub's Avatar

Yea you need to season the shelves http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...w-humidor.html. The gels will still work but your better of with the beads as they maintain humidity in both directions.

Ok so I just ordered the 2 cedar shelves and the 1/2lb. bag of silica beads from cheaphumidor.

Next I am going to clean out the wine cooler with dish soap and water first... Do I Use DW For This???.
    Then get a little baking soda in there and clean it out and then leave a box of A&H baking soda in there with the door open for a few days (I have this week to get it ready since the shelves and beads wont be in till this weekend/ next week.

Once I have done the cleaning to get the plastic smell out is there anything else I need to do prior to my accessories showing up?

Once the shelves and beads arrive I will put in the shelves then the beads (the beads will be a shallow dish with DW in the back of both shelves) and the digital hygrometer to of course get the inside seasoned (I assume having the new shelves in there with the beads for a few days to get it all stable will of course season the cedar wood at the same time.

Once I have done this and got the temperature correct and the inside of the coolers humidity stable around 70% then at that point I am ready to throw in the sticks and be good to go right?

Let me know if I am missing anything or if there is another step I need to do throughout this process that I haven't thought of.

Thanks a million for the help and direction guys.

Ok so the shelves and beads are on there way in the mail.

I have since decided just to be safe to freeze my collection of stick so they are in the fridge as we speak.

I opened the cooler this morning and I'm going to let it air out for the next few days... I picked up some non scented dish soap and some arm and hammer baking soda. I cleaned it out with soap and then dried then hit it with a wet rag and some baking soda. I also poured out a bowl of baking soda in a Tupperware bowl to let it sit in the wine cooler and try and soak up any more plastic smell.

Did I do all of this right so far?

What my next step?

My thought is when the beads arrive turn on the unit and put in the bag of beads and maybe a bowl or two of distilled water with the new cedar trays in there to of course get the RH correct and also season the new cedar tray at the same time for a couple days.

Then once this is done and the temp is steady and the RH is steady take out the bowls of water and make sure the RH stays good with the bag of beads then add in my sticks to the new trays and be done!

Is this the correct way of proceeding forward with this?

Just want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks so much for all the help and guidance.

Bump to see if I can get and answer on my previous post on how my next step should go. (please see my post below this one)

Also one more questions I have the 2 cedar trays coming in but I would assume the more cedar the better. I am going to try and find a local wood shop that has cedar and see if I can do one or both of these ideas.

I want to find some thin planks of Spanish cedar and cut them to line the walls of the cooler
    Question on this though... how do I attach them? Can I just use like 3M double sided tape to attach these pieces to the wall or may Velcro etc.

Also I would like to find 3/8" thick wood and take out the wire shelves and make shelves from the 3/8" cedar.

Is this is a good idea or is to much cedar a bad thing possibly?

Thanks so much for any information or answers you can give me on this question and also the answers to my last question.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RetiredNavyIC's Avatar

I wouldn't put the beads in until after taking the bowls of distilled water out.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Bump to see if I can get and answer on my previous post on how my next step should go. (please see my post below this one)

Also one more questions I have the 2 cedar trays coming in but I would assume the more cedar the better. I am going to try and find a local wood shop that has cedar and see if I can do one or both of these ideas.

I want to find some thin planks of Spanish cedar and cut them to line the walls of the cooler
    Question on this though... how do I attach them? Can I just use like 3M double sided tape to attach these pieces to the wall or may Velcro etc.

Also I would like to find 3/8" thick wood and take out the wire shelves and make shelves from the 3/8" cedar.

Is this is a good idea or is to much cedar a bad thing possibly?

Thanks so much for any information or answers you can give me on this question and also the answers to my last question.
    You can use 3M double sided tape or hot glue velcro to the sides and cedar boards.
    Woodcraft, national woodworking chain, carries spanish cedar in certain thicknesses.
    No, not really. A quality humidor, such as Waxingmoon makes, has cedar lining the entire humidor and the shelves are all cedar.

See the link in post 5.

In essence:
    Let the DW in bowls sit in there with all the spanish cedar for a couple of days (can take up to a week!). Put a calibrated hygro in there (assuming it has a clear front) until the readings stabilize. Pull the bowls of DW out. Then, depending on the rH, you may or may not have to charge the beads. Watch the readings for a couple of days and either spray the beads to increase the rH, or if the rH is too high, either add more dry beads or pull them out and allow them to dry then put them back in.
    Your rH is going to fluxuate for a while depending on how often you open the door, how many cigars you have in there (more is better, as they too regulate rH just like sc) and if the cigars are freshly delivered (most cigars ship with a high rH).

Puffer Fish with many spikes bcannon87's Avatar

Another idea is to store your cigars in empty sc cigar boxes. I did this is my edgestar 28 and it worked like a charm!!

Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    You can use 3M double sided tape or hot glue velcro to the sides and cedar boards.
    Woodcraft, national woodworking chain, carries spanish cedar in certain thicknesses.
    No, not really. A quality humidor, such as Waxingmoon makes, has cedar lining the entire humidor and the shelves are all cedar.

See the link in post 5.

In essence:
    Let the DW in bowls sit in there with all the Spanish cedar for a couple of days (can take up to a week!). Put a calibrated hygro in there (assuming it has a clear front) until the readings stabilize. Pull the bowls of DW out. Then, depending on the rH, you may or may not have to charge the beads. Watch the readings for a couple of days and either spray the beads to increase the rH, or if the rH is too high, either add more dry beads or pull them out and allow them to dry then put them back in.
    Your rH is going to fluctuate for a while depending on how often you open the door, how many cigars you have in there (more is better, as they too regulate rH just like sc) and if the cigars are freshly delivered (most cigars ship with a high rH).
    Ok Ive got a cedar cigar box in there along with a cedar from my humidor till I get back from the lumber yard today with some fresh cedar with the cooler on to 66 and 2 bowls of DW in there to get it moving!

I will be getting some cedar slats to 3M stick to a few parts of the inside wall and also the 2 full size cedar trays will be showing up today / tomm. and I will put those in there when they arrive to help with the seasoning and get the new cedar moist as well.

Am I on the right path here as far as the steps I need to take?

My stogie are will be in the freezer till tomorrow and then cooling down in the fridge till Friday and then room temp till Saturday and at that point hopefully the Rh and seasoning is about done so I throw in the sticks and be good to go.

At that point I will be putting in 70% beads I ordered and taking out the DW of course.

Hows this all looking guys?

Thanks again for all the help

Disinterested

Sorry for getting here late, since I'd have recommended a slightly different path. Oh well.

First, forget the bowl! There's no point. All you need to do is wipe down the trays a few times a day for a couple days, charge your beads and install cigars. You can't season plastic. All that needs to be seasoned is the wood. Since there's no harm done even if you slightly warp the trays, it's okay to wipe. Never wipe down a wooden humidor other than to dust.

Sounds like temp control is an issue. If so, you'll need to purchase and outboard controller from either Ranco, or Johnson Controls. These work great; far better than any OEM thermostat.

Good luck!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Sorry for getting here late, since I'd have recommended a slightly different path. Oh well.

First, forget the bowl! There's no point. All you need to do is wipe down the trays a few times a day for a couple days, charge your beads and install cigars. You can't season plastic. All that needs to be seasoned is the wood. Since there's no harm done even if you slightly warp the trays, it's okay to wipe. Never wipe down a wooden humidor other than to dust.

Sounds like temp control is an issue. If so, you'll need to purchase and outboard controller from either Ranco, or Johnson Controls. These work great; far better than any OEM thermostat.

Good luck!
    Ignore my post and listen to the man above ^!
    If it involves, cigars, cedar, humidors and seasoning Don's the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post

Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the info Don... At the moment I have cleaned out the plastic as best I can... I put in an old cigar box and my tray from my humidor with 2 bowls of DW to get the nice smell infused in there a bit.

So what I will do when the trays and beads arrive today or tomorrow I'll take out the DW and other stuff and put in my 2 new trays with my 1/2lb of beads (charged with DW) and wipe down the trays really good with DW (like you said since I dont have to worry about them warping much like a regular humidor I'll give a better than normal wipe down).

At that point my cigars at the moment are in the freezer and will be ready to go in the cooler by Saturday so I will have a few days for the new trays to season and get the temp and Rh stable in the cooler for my sticks come then.

How does that sound?

Thanks again for coming in on my thread... I appreciate all the amazing help I have got from the Puff community
    Last edited by falconman515; 07-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast