Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build!

This is a discussion on falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build! within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Here are a few other pictures of a couple NewAirs I found in the threads as well and would like ...

Central Cali Cigar Crew falconman515's Avatar

Re: falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build!

Here are a few other pictures of a couple NewAirs I found in the threads as well and would like to show here as well.

Pictures are the best in helping with your builds and giving ideas on what you want to do with yours.

Nice Looking cooler there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShortFuse View Post

Please feel free to throw me some questions or what nots.
    Since Most that read this may be either looking into to getting one or already ordered one the first thing that needs to be done when they arrive is to get that nasty plastic smell out.

How did you go about getting the smell out of your unit and did you find that using a certain product or doing it a certain way worked better.

I am looking at letting it sit out in the sun for a day when it arrives tomorrow with the door open then bring it in and use paste up some water and baking soda and wipe it down every few hours and also leave the door open at night with a bowl of baking soda in there as well (or should I close the door with the bowl of BS in there?).

Just want to get some feedback since that the first step in this new build and will be the first step for any other BOTL that gets a new wine cooler to convert.

Thanks so much guys for all the info.

No problems brother... I'm actually back in Iraq for the time being and my wife has very detailed instructions on how to take care of the wineador. Thats another story.

As far as the smell that it comes with, I mixed up a sollution of warm water and Dawn liquid dishsoap. Scrubbed it down hosed it out and gave it two good washings. I then let it sit the shade to dry out. A garage, balcony, porch, garage, what have you, will work just preferably not on the grass or anywhere thats too funky and will require you to wash it out again.

I washed it in the early afternoon on a Sunday and was comfortable enough with everything being dry enough Monday night to bring it back inside. Once I had it where I wanted it, I made sure I leveled it plugged it in on its highest setting and just let it run overnight. Came back in the morning and there was no funk left.

I think the key point is running it for a little bit and get the motor running to burn off any of the nasty plastic smell that may be in there. Doing it before or after you wash the inside is personal preference, I guess looking back it would of made more sense to plug it in the garage and let it run for a bit and then wash it out. That way you know if you need to do a warranty exchange immediately

Charcoal, baking soda, crumpled newspaper are all other methods that have been experimented with as well. For me plain old Dawn (the blue kind) and a non abrasive sponge worked great. Plus if you get a 4 pack of sponges, you can use them later when you season your drawers.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Please feel free to throw me some questions or what nots.
    The next thing that will need to be done is to plug the drainage hole.

Did you do this on your build Thom or did you just leave it as is and its still holding Rh fine?

I think to start off with I may try it stock and see how it holds and if it needs to be plugged most are just throwing some electrical tape over the hole and calling it a day.

That brings up another thing as well is the condensation after you plug the hole... I have read a thread where he put tape on the hole and said he has ZERO condensation roll off to the bottom of the cooler.... and in that same thread another guy with this same NewAir unit said "WOW.. I have Tons of condensation building up in mine".

Seems that some people have so much they need to route the roll off water into something and some just plug it and that's it.

Anyone who would like to chime in on this so I myself no the route I am going to take and also to help out future readers as well.

Thanks so much guys.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jordanwimb's Avatar

Good luck with the build!

Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

So a couple of you here already know that my NewAir build is complete. With the encouragement of the thread "owner" I will put up several pics to get things going and then open it up for questions.

Without further delay...
    An overall shot...(door was opened to reduce glare)

From the bottom up...(with some notes)

A dollar store tupperware container, Petco media bag, and Petco unscented KL crystals( $1, $1, $18/8lbs)

Business part of the shelf w/ false bottom...

Yes that is the adhesive strip from a small flat rate box

Next are two shelves that mount in just below the fan, contents are self-explanatory...

Then there is a series of shelves working up to the top...

The media bag on this shelf is also charged due to the proximity of the fan. I also choose to keep my coffins here due to the increased airflow. I noticed very little fluctuation in rH from top to bottom in the unit mostly due to proper seasoning of the shelves and already having done a good amount of trial and error with KL! (Thanks Tony!)

Last is the top shelf... Not the best, but its my top shelf!!!

The odd looking instrument on the top shelf is a travel soap dish with several holes drilled in it. It is filled with uncharged kitty litter to help catch the excess moisture that travels up in the unit. I have found this to be very successful in helping regulate humidity at the top of the unit. So far there hasn't been a need for a fan, with the location of the drain in this model, I think it would be difficult to wire one through the drain, however a battery operated system like what you're thinking should work if you are concerned. Or if you are very saavy with electronics possibly wire in the fans to work in conjunction with the LED lighting (which I find to be very dim). Not a deal breaker for me though.

Please feel free to throw me some questions or what nots. It looks like you are right on track with what you'll need to get it set up. BTW the Hygrosets were calibrated using a 69% Boveda pouch instead of a calibration kit (I got a bit rushed on that part and would rather buy one from the B&M than wait 3 days to calibrate). The Accurite model was calibrated in the same pouch and registered -2% so it is a pretty decent model for $7.00 and a trip to Wallyworld.
    Very nice build that Kitty Litter looks so nice!
    You my friend are very welcome!
    My compliments on a great job well done sir!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

MY NEW COOLER JUST ARRIVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to start getting out the plastic smell...............

I will continue to update with more pics as it moves along!!!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Thanks SO much for coming in on this thread with friggin awesome pictures and further notes and suggestions.

This thread isn't just to show my new build its to help out all future BOTL with a NewAir build as well and to show the possibilities and what can be done even if they go with another brand cooler.

Please feel free to share this thread with me and help out in any way you would like.

I welcome all partners on this thread... and the more pics, comments and suggestions the better.

Thanks Thom for helping out and once again welcome home brother glad to have have you back on US soil and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Yea, Thom really knows how to hijack a thread . Can't wait to see the progress on this build!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Those NewAir's look awesome!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

In its new home (was going to go in the office but just decided to keep it in the kitchen . breakfast nook area).

One thing though to answer a question I brought up earlier about the condensation... I have plugged the hole with electrical tape and it has been running for a few hours (getting the new motor smell out) and I have yet to have ANY condensation at all!

At the moment I am just trying to get the plastic smell out as much as I can... I have wiped it down a few times with warm water and baking soda then cleaned with unscented dish soap and now I have a few pieces of cedar in there to start masking the smell a bit and a tupperware bowl of Baking soda to soak up the smell.

Later tonight I will turn off the unit and stuff it full of newspaper (heard this works well) to let it sit overnight, then repeat the wash down process tomorrow and may throw in some activated charcoal. I know the smell wont go away completely (Its plastic guys you cant get rid of a smell 100% of what it actually is) but I want to get rid of the overpowering plastic smell do where its a dull faint smell and after seasoning trays in there with cedar cigar boxes there wont any smell left.

I still I will be moving over my two trays of smokes from my earlier build (Converting an 8 Bottle Wine Cooler Into a Humidor Help. A Newbies First Time :-)) to this new once I get the smell gone and just have the trays with my singles and have the rest of my cigars just in ziploc bags sitting on the metal shelves.

I have spoken with Wineador (Forrest) and I will hopefully be getting a new drawer/shelve set-up.

But I put the two $10 SC trays sitting on top of the shelves in there and it actually loks nice. For 10 bucks a cedar shelf (Cheap Humidors Cedar Cigar Tray with Divider) .... If interested search for their eBay site they are still $9.99 but have free shipping) with there only 6 spots for trays (not counting the bottom since most of your KL/Beads should go there) its not a bad deal if you dont want to go the entire drawer route (Sorry Forrest just throwing out options for the new guys who may not have the money you know).

Not sure the route I am going just since I kinda like the way the trays look just sitting on the metal shelves (plus its easy access if you want to pull them out and look through the tray you can... its more difficult with built in drawers).

Well that's where I am at right now guys.... I Will continue updating with Pics and changes as the build moves on.

Thanks for checking out this thread and I sure hope this helping out some present and future BOTL on their builds or ideas on what you want to do yourself.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Casey Jones's Avatar

so here is my setup...

IMG_5919 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5916 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5906 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5908 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5909 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5910 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5911 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5913 by codalz, on Flickr

IMG_5914 by codalz, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jones View Post
    so here is my setup...
    Dude that looks friggin SWEET !!!

You've got some damn good stick in them drawers too brother.

Ohh man I just dont the route I want to go now with my cooler.

Thanks so much brother for posting these on my thread.

Please feel free to contribute in here as much as you like.

Used some newspaper stuffed in it over night and now today I have it sitting outside airing out.

FYI on leaving it outside.... its black plastic so if you leave it in direct sunlight it will burn the plastic a bit and bubble it up..... Lesson learned as the bottom of the cooler is all un-even plastic and bubbled a little bit.... cooler is fine and still works but if you run your hand across the plastic you can feel a little warp and bubbling.

Not to pleased with that happening but at least it happened and and I can let you guys so you don't make the same mistake.

Its not back in the house airing out some more.... Gonna give it another baking soda bath and soap wipe down then let it run overnight... and tomorrow throw in some cedar cigar boxes and we'll see if its ready for the trays of smokes by then.

Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Dude that looks friggin SWEET !!!

You've got some damn good stick in them drawers too brother.

Ohh man I just dont the route I want to go now with my cooler.

Thanks so much brother for posting these on my thread.

Please feel free to contribute in here as much as you like.
    Thanks bro. Really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast