Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build!

This is a discussion on falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build! within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; All I know is, I'm regretting my 16ct purchase. There's really no room for boxes...

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Re: falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build!

All I know is, I'm regretting my 16ct purchase. There's really no room for boxes
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Subscribed!

I'm really interested in the winedor route and I love what you have going on here.

Scott, did you make those drawers/shelves yourself or did you use the guy that Chris mentioned?

Central Cali Cigar Crew falconman515's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite220 View Post
    Subscribed!

I'm really interested in the winedor route and I love what you have going on here.

Scott, did you make those drawers/shelves yourself or did you use the guy that Chris mentioned?
    Both Scott and Thom got there drawers from Windeador (Forrest) ... He has Many sets for many different wine coolers, you name it he can make it (He does coolerdors and anything else needed....he's even doing traveldors now)

He makes some amazing looking drawers and shelves.

AWESOME!

Got it cleaned out with some baking soda again and a soap wipe down.... been airing out since it came in now its closed with some empty cedar boxes in there with some DW to kinda start infusing that cigar.cedar smell.

Gonna let it run all night and keep spraying the cedar periodically.

I found that doing this helped with the plastic smell a lot on my last small built.

I have my bags of KL ready to go in and start regulating the RH later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Hopefully it will be ready to throw my tiny stash of cigars and 2 trays in there tomorrow night.

More pictures to come of that as well.

Puffer Fish with some spikes chef-zorba's Avatar

Best thing about this build is that its a slow, day by day, pic by pic, update! Watch as the young wine cooler grows and turns into a cigar pampering machine!!!!

Update on NewAir .... Seems a bit loud when running. The fan inside runs at all times but not at full speed to keep the temp. Ambient temp is about 78-80 and if you run this cooler at the lowest setting (54) it wont go any lower than 57 and run at full speed max.

When set at 65-66 the full speed does not run but more of the medium speed to keep the temp right. It will lower to the low fan speed for maybe a minute or so then pop back up to medium and unfortunately medium sounds a lot more annoying than even the highest fan speed.

Seems to be working great but not for getting very cold temps (which are not needed for cigars but when I set it to 54 it should go to 54 in this kind of ambient temp).

Gonna see if this is normal on the the other guys NewAirs and maybe this is normal for most all wine coolers this size to have the fan running at a lower speed at all times.

I'll update once I find out more.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Update on NewAir .... Seems a bit loud when running. The fan inside runs at all times but not at full speed to keep the temp. Ambient temp is about 78-80 and if you run this cooler at the lowest setting (54) it wont go any lower than 57 and run at full speed max.

When set at 65-66 the full speed does not run but more of the medium speed to keep the temp right. It will lower to the low fan speed for maybe a minute or so then pop back up to medium and unfortunately medium sounds a lot more annoying than even the highest fan speed.

Seems to be working great but not for getting very cold temps (which are not needed for cigars but when I set it to 54 it should go to 54 in this kind of ambient temp).

Gonna see if this is normal on the the other guys NewAirs and maybe this is normal for most all wine coolers this size to have the fan running at a lower speed at all times.

I'll update once I find out more.
    Chris...great read so far...I'm enjoying it!

On the temperature "issue". I have read several times here on Puff, and other places...as well as I experience about the same in my EdgeStar 28...but that in regards to how a thermoelectric cooler works is off of the ambient temperature. If your ambient room temp is, say 74...the cooler can really not get it any cooler than 64...as there is generally a 10 degree difference with thermoelectric cooling. Also, these work off of moisture in the air...which can also alter how "low" the temp can go...the more humidity in your home, the cooler it could get inside...depending on where the thermostat is placed. There is no colling system, per say in these units. It works exactly like a heat-sink does for a CPU processor. There is no "cooling system"...but rather a hint sink, with fans to create a cooling effect...to lower the temp of what it is cooling...as in these, that would be "space". Moisture is also created by the humidity (if any) in your home as the heat sink cools, it creates condensation...thus why some struggle with this area as well.

There is a lot more to this, but that should be the basics. I hope that will help some...
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Chris...great read so far...I'm enjoying it!

On the temperature "issue". I have read several times here on Puff, and other places...as well as I experience about the same in my EdgeStar 28...but that in regards to how a thermoelectric cooler works is off of the ambient temperature. If your ambient room temp is, say 74...the cooler can really not get it any cooler than 64...as there is generally a 10 degree difference with thermoelectric cooling. Also, these work off of moisture in the air...which can also alter how "low" the temp can go...the more humidity in your home, the cooler it could get inside...depending on where the thermostat is placed. There is no colling system, per say in these units. It works exactly like a heat-sink does for a CPU processor. There is no "cooling system"...but rather a hint sink, with fans to create a cooling effect...to lower the temp of what it is cooling...as in these, that would be "space". Moisture is also created by the humidity (if any) in your home as the heat sink cools, it creates condensation...thus why some struggle with this area as well.

There is a lot more to this, but that should be the basics. I hope that will help some...
    Thanks for the info on that... so really with my ambient temp of 78 for it to even get to 57 is actually better then expected I suppose. I leave it a the max temp (66) and the Caliber III inside shows 66 so the temp display is pretty correct and when at this temp the system doesnt run at full speed.... it just runs at say a medium speed to keep that temp right.

That brings me to another question.... is it just the NewAirs or mostly all other thermo coolers.... When I bring the temp way down the cooler kicks into high and gets cool really fast but when I leave it at say the 66 temp it runs on like a medium speed (Kind of a loud fan hum at this speed thats actually a bit annoying) to just keep the temp stable and on occasion it will drop to a low fan speed thats very quite for maybe a minute then jump back up to the medium speed to continue keeping it stable.

Is this normal for a cooler....the one thing I dont like I have small Emerson 8 bottle cooler that is Thermo and VERY quite... I can never hear it... but this thing in the kitchen at full speed is actually pretty loud and when running at the medium speed the medium humm is a bit annoying as well. The low speed is pleasant not not distracting.

Not sure if this is normal for most wine coolers or other NewAirs but at this point not pleased with the sound and decibel level coming from the unit.

Let me know if this is normal.

Thanks guys.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Thanks for the info on that... so really with my ambient temp of 78 for it to even get to 57 is actually better then expected I suppose. I leave it a the max temp (66) and the Caliber III inside shows 66 so the temp display is pretty correct and when at this temp the system doesnt run at full speed.... it just runs at say a medium speed to keep that temp right.

That brings me to another question.... is it just the NewAirs or mostly all other thermo coolers.... When I bring the temp way down the cooler kicks into high and gets cool really fast but when I leave it at say the 66 temp it runs on like a medium speed (Kind of a loud fan hum at this speed thats actually a bit annoying) to just keep the temp stable and on occasion it will drop to a low fan speed thats very quite for maybe a minute then jump back up to the medium speed to continue keeping it stable.

Is this normal for a cooler....the one thing I dont like I have small Emerson 8 bottle cooler that is Thermo and VERY quite... I can never hear it... but this thing in the kitchen at full speed is actually pretty loud and when running at the medium speed the medium humm is a bit annoying as well. The low speed is pleasant not not distracting.

Not sure if this is normal for most wine coolers or other NewAirs but at this point not pleased with the sound and decibel level coming from the unit.

Let me know if this is normal.

Thanks guys.
    Since I have an EdgeStar 28...and not a NewAir...I have no idea how yours should sound. With my EdgeStar...there is one fan speed (that I am aware of) however I NEVER hear the fan...as the unit makes absolutely no noise. I knew this before buying mine...and is one of the reasons that I bought this unit...as I didn't want any fan noise. Also, with the additional fans that I use in my unit (I need to get them back int here ASAP)...I did a ton of research and purchased high air movement fans that have about the lowest decibel sound possible...so they are 99% silent (another issue some people have with their additional fans...is the noise caused by them).
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Puffer Fish with some spikes chef-zorba's Avatar

I had 2 16 bottle Haier wine coolers that I used for storing.....wait for it............wine. Go figure huh? I had one at 65 and the other at 58. The one at 65 ran quieter than the one at 58. Same units but the colder temp unit was always a little "loud". A rep from Haier explained that even though thermoelectric means "quiet", it has to work harder to keep the temp down at 58 degrees, especially being in southern California where if Im not running the A/C, temps in the house can reach 85 degrees easily. So more work for the cooling motor means a little more noise. At least thats my experience with a Haier Thermo cooler.

With the couple trays I currently have and the bags of KL in there.

Slowly but surely.

Young Puffer Fish

Since Most that read this may be either looking into to getting one or already ordered one the first thing that needs to be done when they arrive is to get that nasty plastic smell out.

How did you go about getting the smell out of your unit and did you find that using a certain product or doing it a certain way worked better.

I am looking at letting it sit out in the sun for a day when it arrives tomorrow with the door open then bring it in and use paste up some water and baking soda and wipe it down every few hours and also leave the door open at night with a bowl of baking soda in there as well (or should I close the door with the bowl of BS in there?).

Just want to get some feedback since that the first step in this new build and will be the first step for any other BOTL that gets a new wine cooler to convert.

Thanks so much guys for all the info.
    You guys are making this way too much of a project- in another wineador thread, someone suggested using crumpled newspaper, due to the carbon content of newsprint ink. Following that suggestion, I stuffed my 12 bottle cooler with crumpled newspapers for about a week and a half. No odor- never scrubbed anything or did anything with chemicals. Very easy to do it this way.

Since I have activated charcoal from another project, I would probably just get a filter bag full of activated charcoal and put it in there to accomplish the same thing.

I'd try that instead of messing with scrubbing and all sorts of chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
    You guys are making this way too much of a project- in another wineador thread, someone suggested using crumpled newspaper, due to the carbon content of newsprint ink. Following that suggestion, I stuffed my 12 bottle cooler with crumpled newspapers for about a week and a half. No odor- never scrubbed anything or did anything with chemicals. Very easy to do it this way.

Since I have activated charcoal from another project, I would probably just get a filter bag full of activated charcoal and put it in there to accomplish the same thing.

I'd try that instead of messing with scrubbing and all sorts of chemicals.
    Thanks for the info but that alone does not work for everybody... many people have to do a lot more all depending on the make and model of the cooler.

I think if everyone has all the options it can be a process of elimination for most.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jordanwimb's Avatar

Looking good, mang! Excited to see it finished!

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast