Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build!

This is a discussion on falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build! within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by falconman515 Other than that I have spent most of my money on sticks from CBID to try ...

Re: falconman515's NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Wineador Build!

Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Other than that I have spent most of my money on sticks from CBID to try and fill up the trays a bit more.

Let me know if I can help out any further with your own build.
    Thats always the case! I think if I were to magically uproot my stash here and implant it at home, I might be full. Thats a big might though. Considering when I get home it will be do a full inventory and write it all down including dates I got the cigars. After that I plan on doing a Noob Friendly Pass. I got to jump on one pass while I was home and it was a lot of fun and want to make it available to others.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

...does anyone know if the internal dimensions of the Edgestar and NewAir in terms of re-using shelves are the same? I just can't get over the fact that with shelves, fans and all the other accoutrement, it's likely we're spending as much on all of that as the cooler itself...which we're lucky if it lasts two years before having to buy another. Not knowing if the next version or other 28 bottles have a standard size - kinda scary to buy all this stuff and cross fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by choinga View Post
    ...does anyone know if the internal dimensions of the Edgestar and NewAir in terms of re-using shelves are the same? I just can't get over the fact that with shelves, fans and all the other accoutrement, it's likely we're spending as much on all of that as the cooler itself...which we're lucky if it lasts two years before having to buy another. Not knowing if the next version or other 28 bottles have a standard size - kinda scary to buy all this stuff and cross fingers...
    You also have the option of repairing it if you have a problem. You can either pay someone else to do it or if your incliened you can try to fix it yourself. Take a look at this - $12 Vinotemp. Either way you should find it cheaper than buying a new one.

Central Cali Cigar Crew falconman515's Avatar

If you go the route I went with the trays its significantly lower than spending money on Drawers / shelves etc.

Don;t get me wrong I went the cheap route due to funds and wish I could drop the coin on some drawers from forrest but is cash is your worry and at the moment and also the worry of a new model no being compatible down the road then you can either go the tray route like I did and it be future proof, or like John said... just fix it! They are not that hard to fix from what I see in Johns thread.

Good luck on whatever you decide in your future build.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

...it's likely we're spending as much on all of that as the cooler itself...
    If it makes a difference, I've yet to use it plugged in, as every time I try, the humidity plummets. Still works like a charm as just a very large humidor.

I live in the PacNW, and don't need the cooling feature for the most part. I figure I paid mostly for an aesthetically pleasing coolidor. The drawers were the "meat" of the thing, the truly important part. The cooler itself is to look nice and hold a seal, really.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

well, I live in Texas, which has a little different climate than Seattle.

Actually, I have an end-table humi that works pretty well in a non-windowed office in my house that stays relatively cool even in the summer - usually around 73-74 and holds 66% RH solid as a rock. As it gets cooler, the humi temp comes down accordingly - from late Sept thru April or so I can keep it at 66-67 without issue. So, technically, I'm OK - just would be nice to not have to worry about it during the summer and maintain a constant temp/RH throughout the year. As you mention - in the winter I'd probably not even turn it on - just use my Oasis to push some air around in there as long as the temp stays OK.

I've just had horrible luck with wine coolers. I have a hundred or so bottles and finally bit the bullet and bought a Danby 80 bottle. It stays at 59 and I never even hear the thing come on - it's incredibly efficient - they advertise something like it costs about $80 a year to run it or something like that. So, I'm not averse to spending money -just not keen on investing a couple hundred in shelves, fans, time and resources to build this out only to have it die in a year or two and then the new model is a 1/2" wider or smaller on the inside, etc...

Yeah, I know they can be fixed and that's always a possibility...but sometimes it's not...

Trays! At least that way you are good to go no matter what wine cooler you buy in the future!

With the max amount of trays its a holds a great amount of singles... granted Forrest drawers go deeper so per drawer space a lot more can fit but I like the way the trays turned out as far as looks goes and it holds the right amount for me as far as singles is concerned.
    Last edited by falconman515; 09-06-2011 at 02:02 PM.

sure. but my problem there is that I'd have to get something custom made. I'm planning on trying this Avanti dual-zone I already have and the damn thing is only 10 3/4" wide instead of the 12" that you see all the standard cedar trays come in. *sigh*

I can buy planks, cut them and feed them in - but then I have nothing I can pull out of the cabinet.

I'm considering buying a lot of empty boxes of ebay and just storing everything in old boxes.

sure. but my problem there is that I'd have to get something custom made. I'm planning on trying this Avanti dual-zone I already have and the damn thing is only 10 3/4" wide instead of the 12" that you see all the standard cedar trays come in. *sigh*

I can buy planks, cut them and feed them in - but then I have nothing I can pull out of the cabinet.

I'm considering buying a lot of empty boxes of ebay and just storing everything in old boxes.
    Trays will work fine for your dimension!

The trays a 12 1/2" x 7 1/2"

The wine cooler is for sure over 12" deep .... you just put the trays in side ways!!!

No one says the have to be put in long ways... just throw them in there sideways.

Most all wine coolers are very deep to accommodate a wine bottle and all wine bottles are deeper than 12"

Trays will work for you just fine.

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

This is what I did. I am not using the other side at the moment. You can get boxes at cigar shops in Austin. Usually a buck a piece. hope this helps.

Puffer Fish with some spikes yaqui's Avatar

This is what I did. I am not using the other side at the moment. You can get boxes at cigar shops in Austin. Usually a buck a piece. hope this helps.

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    If it makes a difference, I've yet to use it plugged in, as every time I try, the humidity plummets. Still works like a charm as just a very large humidor.
    Sorry to thread-jack. If it really is inappropriate, I'll create another thread for this. But I just thought since it's also wineador related...

Has anyone else had a chance to use wine coolers unplugged Like Ninja here does? I mean, I live in Seattle as well, so Derek's result is going to be the most valuable. I'm just curious if others have had similar results, that is, using wine cooler simply as a big air-sealing cabinet.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Bravo_Kilo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cartey View Post
    Sorry to thread-jack. If it really is inappropriate, I'll create another thread for this. But I just thought since it's also wineador related...

Has anyone else had a chance to use wine coolers unplugged Like Ninja here does? I mean, I live in Seattle as well, so Derek's result is going to be the most valuable. I'm just curious if others have had similar results, that is, using wine cooler simply as a big air-sealing cabinet.
    I don't see any reason why it would work any less effectively as a humidor just because it wasn't running. Most of the people who use them just happen to need the benefit of temperature control, but having it plugged in isn't essential for humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by cartey View Post

A Wine cooler / fridge is basically an oversized humidor minus all the wood and spanish cedar.

Its just a nice looking humidor that is air tight to hold perfect relative humidity.

If its plugged in then it will hold at the temp you want it to hold at.... which is whats needed for guys like me in the central California valley where its basically death here.

If its cold like in your area then most of the time the cooler doesnt even need to be on to hold a good temp.

Many guys use a cooler only during summer months when needed and unplugged when not needed.

So sure a wine cooler is a perfect cigar humidor when outfitted with plenty of spanish cedar drawers and shelves and some kind of Rh beads / KL.

Hope this helps answer your question as well.

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Answered my questions? More like you guys just robbed $100 from my wallet.
    I'll be looking out for ANY cheap non-working wine cooler now. XD
    Thanks, Ben and Chris.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast