Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

This is a discussion on Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle) within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I do have a very important question for people who have wineadors. Is there any airflow reason why you can't ...

ZS Reserve Officer

Re: Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

I do have a very important question for people who have wineadors. Is there any airflow reason why you can't fill the entire thing with drawers and not use a single shelf? I don't store boxes, I tend to buy bundles or singles. What's stopping me from having nothing but drawers?

I've seen a few with nothing but drawers. A lot of them from what I've heard don't even have theirs plugged in during the summer so there really is only the circulation of them opening in and closing.

This is just what I have observed through reading, anyone feel free to correct me. lol.
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

No longer a community member.

I ordered a full wineador for drawers I am only using that wineador to grab smokes out of..

So I will have 2 stations ( eventually just drawers), and them am looking at something larger way larger like 100+ bottle or a Avallo, Aristocrat, Fridge something to age etc...

Right now when I get the drawers from forrest I will have 1 wineador just drawers and another just shelves when the shelf wineador reaches capacity in a couple of months I will need something larger then I will get the drawers for that wineador...

Seriously am looking at a fridge... Just the biggest cheapest fridge I can find... I bet in less than 2 years I will have a full fridge and 2 wineadors.. Then am going to need another fridge... Hopefully by that time I can get a walk in built... Going by advice I have received here am thinking tupperdor in a fridge because at a certain point it just becomes a utilitarian thing you have your showcase stuff then you have your utilitarian most effective method but I still haven't decided...
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-30-2013 at 12:49 AM.

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by ejewell View Post
    I've seen a few with nothing but drawers. A lot of them from what I've heard don't even have theirs plugged in during the summer so there really is only the circulation of them opening in and closing.

This is just what I have observed through reading, anyone feel free to correct me. lol.
    Good. I didn't figure the drawers would cut off all circulation, there's still behind them (and through them, albeit that's low volume) where air can move. I just wanted to doublecheck with my peers before I went off on that tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    Good. I didn't figure the drawers would cut off all circulation, there's still behind them (and through them, albeit that's low volume) where air can move. I just wanted to doublecheck with my peers before I went off on that tangent.
    Just don't push the drawers all the way back and put a fan in the bottom facing up.. Cold air collects in the bottom of the wineadors...

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivorousPelican View Post
    Just don't push the drawers all the way back and put a fan in the bottom facing up.. Cold air collects in the bottom of the wineadors...
    Yea, I know about thermal qualities. Cold air heads to the bottom, warm air rises. Humidity collects towards the top and has a more difficult time dropping unless there's something circulating in at least a vortex motion.

I've put off thinking about how I am going to move air around and put a lot of time into the lighting. Once all is said and done it will all be running off the same 12v circuit (if I can help it, the internals might need to be rewired) or I might have to suck it up, do it the easy way, and just run another circuit.

Initial plan is a 120mm fan or two, towards the back of the unit at a 70* angle so as to pull air from the front, up the back, over the top, and down again. I'm still up in the air about that and need the drawers in place before I start designing a build sheet for it.

Yea, I know about thermal qualities. Cold air heads to the bottom, warm air rises. Humidity collects towards the top and has a more difficult time dropping unless there's something circulating in at least a vortex motion.

I've put off thinking about how I am going to move air around and put a lot of time into the lighting. Once all is said and done it will all be running off the same 12v circuit (if I can help it, the internals might need to be rewired) or I might have to suck it up, do it the easy way, and just run another circuit.

Initial plan is a 120mm fan or two, towards the back of the unit at a 70* angle so as to pull air from the front, up the back, over the top, and down again. I'm still up in the air about that and need the drawers in place before I start designing a build sheet for it.
    Same here I am waiting on the drawers from forest.. I like the idea of pulling the air through a box that has beads or kitty litter in it...

ZS Reserve Officer

Same here I am waiting on the drawers from forest.. I like the idea of pulling the air through a box that has beads or kitty litter in it...
    I'm of two minds on that. Admittedly it's a two-way RH device (KL or beads) and so moving air shouldn't matter when it comes to how much moisture it draws from it, but... and here's where I'm apart from that thought, if you're constantly moving air through it, you're diminishing the ability for it to absorb moisture as thoroughly as before, forcing you to use a larger surface area/concentration for it to do the job it would have done normally without the extra air being drawn across it.

I know in the long run, whatever I end up doing, will be on a timer of sorts so I don't have it running all the time. 3-4 times a day, 15 minutes a piece, something similar to that, I'd wager.

This always confuses me, because the moist air is heavier and wants to sink, this air should have the tendency to be the warmer air as well. But I am also aware that warm air has lower density and sits above the cold layer. However, atmospherically speaking, the warm air is at the lower altitudes and it gets colder as you go higher.
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by ejewell View Post
    This always confuses me, because the moist air is heavier and wants to sink, this air should have the tendency to be the warmer air as well. But I am also aware that warm air has lower density and sits above the cold layer. However, atmospherically speaking, the warm air is at the lower altitudes and it gets colder as you go higher.
    lol. Don't get going on that. You're thinking of two different worlds. Regular thermal properties of air versus thermal properties of an atmosphere, which is a completely different beast separated by giant BANDS of thermal irregularities and other magnetic properties of molecules.

Trust me, it's not worth getting too concerned with except that cold air sinks, warm air rises, humidity rises, dry air sinks. Just... go with it.

ZS Reserve Officer

So small update. I've had the bottom of the wine chiller filled with two cigar boxes of a shallow layer of kitty litter (less than 1.5" deep, giving plenty of surface area), with the temp at the least it will go (so it stays just a few degrees cooler than ambient) and did NOT plug the drain hole (I'm still thinking I might have to run cabling through it). Having said that, since last night, temp has been a steady, 62* and the humidity has been right at 68-69%.

I believe that once I get my drawers, I am going to use a hole saw to make the holes required for my hygrometer mounting (again, I am placing them directly into the drawer front instead of taping them to the fronts, it appears more elegant to me that way).

I also think I found my timer for turning the whole shebang on and off at intervals in order to keep the air moving until I have decided on a proper airflow diagram.

Intermatic DT620 Heavy Duty Indoor Digital Plug-In Timer, White - Amazon.com
    Last edited by elricfate; 03-30-2013 at 07:19 PM.

So small update. I've had the bottom of the wine chiller filled with two cigar boxes of a shallow layer of kitty litter (less than 1.5" deep, giving plenty of surface area), with the temp at the least it will go (so it stays just a few degrees cooler than ambient) and did NOT plug the drain hole (I'm still thinking I might have to run cabling through it). Having said that, since last night, temp has been a steady, 62* and the humidity has been right at 68-69%.

I believe that once I get my drawers, I am going to use a hole saw to make the holes required for my hygrometer mounting (again, I am placing them directly into the drawer front instead of taping them to the fronts, it appears more elegant to me that way).

I also think I found my timer for turning the whole shebang on and off at intervals in order to keep the air moving until I have decided on a proper airflow diagram.

Intermatic DT620 Heavy Duty Indoor Digital Plug-In Timer, White - Amazon.com
    Dunno what your financial situation is, but this is what am going with has anyone ever had issues with these? I figure I could get 3 wireless sensors...

SALE - NIST Certified Wireless Hygrometer Thermometer 4380 - $84.95 - Fine Weather Instruments - The Weather Store
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 03-31-2013 at 01:40 AM.

ZS Reserve Officer

Dunno what your financial situation is, but this is what am going with has anyone ever had issues with these? I figure I could get 3 wireless sensors...

SALE - NIST Certified Wireless Hygrometer Thermometer 4380 - $84.95 - Fine Weather Instruments - The Weather Store
    I don't like the size of the wireless sensors on those, which is why I am opting for the hygroset IIIs set into the face of the drawers, this way I get a good idea of the humidity in the drawer itself, and don't take a bunch of room with the sensor. Now if they were small probes that could be easily mounted, I might consider it. But most of the ones with small probes aren't NIST certified, so what's the point in spending all the extra money when I can get something that will look far more elegant?

The one thing that I am worried about is RH swings, I'm pretty sure that with all the spanish cedar, and the huge amount of KL (or RH beads later) that will be on the bottom, as well as a probable sack or two in various areas, that the RH won't swing too badly for too long when the door is opened, but... I looked at the Chasidor drawers with the glass tops and solid bottoms, they remind of a separate slide-in humidor. I don't see anything like that in the Forrest lineup, and Waxing Moon has nothing about wineadors on his website.

The thought occurred to me to house my Acids (which are currently in a separate humidor I don't mind being infested) in one of the Chasidor style drawers, to keep it from infesting the rest of the drawers.

I don't like the size of the wireless sensors on those, which is why I am opting for the hygroset IIIs set into the face of the drawers, this way I get a good idea of the humidity in the drawer itself, and don't take a bunch of room with the sensor. Now if they were small probes that could be easily mounted, I might consider it. But most of the ones with small probes aren't NIST certified, so what's the point in spending all the extra money when I can get something that will look far more elegant?

The one thing that I am worried about is RH swings, I'm pretty sure that with all the spanish cedar, and the huge amount of KL (or RH beads later) that will be on the bottom, as well as a probable sack or two in various areas, that the RH won't swing too badly for too long when the door is opened, but... I looked at the Chasidor drawers with the glass tops and solid bottoms, they remind of a separate slide-in humidor. I don't see anything like that in the Forrest lineup, and Waxing Moon has nothing about wineadors on his website.

The thought occurred to me to house my Acids (which are currently in a separate humidor I don't mind being infested) in one of the Chasidor style drawers, to keep it from infesting the rest of the drawers.
    I don't smoke infused cigars but when I was the Queen of England I only Smoked Cubans, but since I was dethroned and that impostor has taken my place I am now banished to the wastelands of America as such I smoke Liga Privada #9 because of the sweet Mata Fina binder that encases the unique blend of Honduran and Dominican filler when you didn't think that was enough topped off by a superb Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. What is there not to like?

2-1/3 x 3-1/2 x 3/4 isn't to big for the sensors.. I just like it because I have two wineadors so I can check the humidity from one place for two... I been looking for a datalogger that is cheap so I can see what the RH swing is and recovery... The dataloggers I have seen are all 200+ dollars.. What would be really awesome is either make something cheap or find something that is 802.11 that a computer can poll...

ZS Reserve Officer

2-1/3 x 3-1/2 x 3/4 isn't to big for the sensors.. I just like it because I have two wineadors so I can check the humidity from one place for two... I been looking for a datalogger that is cheap so I can see what the RH swing is and recovery... The dataloggers I have seen are all 200+ dollars.. What would be really awesome is either make something cheap or find something that is 802.11 that a computer can poll...
    It's larger than I want to use (with the exception of on the front of the drawers) -- but if you have two, it makes sense. I only have the one, and I'd like to be able to read humidity by zone, if I did use the wireless one, I'd have to place a few of them in the areas I am wanting to monitor, which would take up too much space for me.

As for a datalogger, it wouldn't be difficult to set up a small board to pull data on a schedule and write to an SD card. The code itself would probably be less than twenty lines, depending on how it has to interface with the sensor... the interface itself might be take more than the twenty lines, unless it could be read as a raw output. I got a buddy who made a wireless RH monitor with a raspberry pi (or planned to make one, I forget which) that could be accessed via the internet. It's outside of the realm of what I am looking to do at the moment.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast