Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

This is a discussion on Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle) within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg Breezing thru this thread, one thing comes to mind. Pics. ...or GTFO Yea, yea. I ...

ZS Reserve Officer

Re: Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    Breezing thru this thread, one thing comes to mind.

Pics.
    ...or GTFO
    Yea, yea. I can't take pics of what I don't have. And while I ordered the drawers on RUSH, that still means at least another week.

I can, however, give you a pic of what I just finished today. I made a trip to Michaels and got some Armour Etch. This is the result.

Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)-20140119_153604.jpg

ZS Reserve Officer

It needs a little windex to get the last little bit of the corners of the lettering off (I used thick stickers so I could do a negative etch), but otherwise I think it looks pretty nice. The flash makes it look a little uneven, but backlit or under regular light, it looks fine.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

That's pretty cool. I've never heard of Armour Etch. Always just used the bead blaster to make frosted glass...

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    That's pretty cool. I've never heard of Armour Etch. Always just used the bead blaster to make frosted glass...
    Yea, it was the difference in using a $12 chemical process to etch the glass, or buying $80 in equipment to hook up to my compressor to do it and then having no other use for the equipment.

I opted for the $12 chemicals. I washed it down last night and it looks pretty nice. Once I get my drawers in, I'll take some pics of them inside of it and decide what kind of lighting I want to use. I'm still thinking edge-lit door so it doesn't leak into the drawers and cause oxidation.

ZS Reserve Officer

I really need to find someone here with some artistic talent to make me an easily transferable cigar stencil.

ZS Reserve Officer

Ordered a couple of things while I wait on my drawers. I mean, I ordered a bunch of stuff (because I'm also ordering a $1300 safe in a week, so I needed some accessories for it as well) -- but the stuff that pertains to my cigar hobby were:

Ambient Weather Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 8-Channel Thermo-Hygrometer with Daily Min/Max Display model WS-08-X2 -- which means one console, two sensors. One for my wineador, the other for my safe. I figure this way I can keep an eye on both things that require hygrometer readings.

I also snagged two 8oz bags of Shilala HCM Beads to go along with the HF 65% humidity beads I already have. I figure it's double the amount I would need, on both counts, and they should go really well together in a sealed system like a wineador. I wanted to get some Heartfelt sheets to put under the drawers (and use my HF beads in a different way) but they were sold out of those.

Once the Forrest Drawers get here, I need to find a power supply, a timer, and some type of lighting for the front. It's coming along quite nicely.

ZS Reserve Officer

Good news! The Ambient Weather Hygrometer sensors are incredible and accurate. I put them in the Wineador (without shelves, but at current humidity of 66% as measured by calibrated digital hygrometer) and one read 65% after a couple hours, the other was at 66%. I calibrated the display to mark the one at 66% (since you calibrate at the display rather than the sensor) and it's been steady ever since.

ZS Reserve Officer

Good news! My drawers arrived! I never realized how much spanish cedar smelled like bug spray when it's in large amounts, though. As it seasons the smell is dissipating, it's just pretty amusing to me.

Here are the drawers I ordered:

Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)-1899118_10153027661432195_1050488498_n.jpg

And here they are with the door closed, you can clearly cigar the "CIGAR VAULT" etching pretty well:

Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)-1624796_10153027661947195_358348069_n.jpg

ZS Reserve Officer

I had him make me a bead tray and I have it full underneath the bottom drawer, I also have the two 8oz packets of HCM beads that I'll place in two of the drawers. I'm seeing now that there's almost no clearance behind the drawers to place the piping system I wanted but I think I can still make it work if I work with small enough PVC. We shall see in the near future. I'm ordering LED light bars for my safe and undercabinet lights in the kitchen, so I'm up and down on whether I want to make a front-lighted system for it or not. I'll decide soon, I think.

Young Fish

Nice and clean, looks awesome! The etching is cool and may try that myself. Thanks for the build thread.

ZS Reserve Officer

Wineador has been a solid 66% humidity for a long while now with (2lbs) Heartfelt in the tray I had Forrest make and two 8oz bags HCM beads (top and middle drawer). I don't have a circulating humidity system in place yet, but from the measurements I am taking at different levels, there doesn't appear to be a huge need for one yet... I might need to only run it once or twice a day for a few minutes when I finally do build one. Also, no lighting installed yet. I'm taking turns between this and outfitting my very large new safe with goodies.

Here's a picture of the stash as it stands. I still need more to fill it up though.

Shelf:

Attachment 83827

First drawer:

Attachment 83826

Second drawer:

Attachment 83831

Third drawer:

Attachment 83828

Fourth drawer:

Attachment 83829

Fifth drawer:

Attachment 83830

ZS Reserve Officer

Couple of things I noticed/found out today.

A) The dip in the back of the slats that the drawers ride on is just a hair over 1/2". I had some 1/2" thick flat board that I cut and placed in the back. This keeps the drawers from wobbling when they're inserted and keeps the top shelf level when there's more weight on the back than on the front.

B) The light module in this definitely runs off 12v and puts out about 1400ma. Too bad the switch is set into the back where the temp control is. Maybe I can move that to a different location and run something off of it.
    View my Wineador build Here!

ZS Reserve Officer

Welp. After running some simulations using some Ikea Dioders I have, I realize that I actually dislike the idea of there being lights inside the wineador. I'm going to disable the lighting completely.

ZS Reserve Officer

So couple of things to note. I've been running my wineador simply on the internal fan and it has uniformly stuck between 66 and 67% RH between the top and the bottom. It appears as though it's stable and uniform. This goes against everything I've heard about using a separate fan to push the air around and reminds me that not all situations are the same (although I did hook up a 12v wall wart plug to a 12v squirrel cage CPU fan so if I want to add a fan in there I just need to find a timer for it).

Another thing to note is that I believe that I need another one. This one has 332 cigars in it so far (I took an inventory yesterday, by hand until I can get the Cigar Dossier database updated and running properly), it's not FULL, but it's getting close. Maybe in another 100-150 cigars I will have to start really fighting for room in it. If I find a deal on another thermo-wine cooler, I'm grabbing it and sitting on it until I've decided what to do. Maybe I'll put another wineador out in the garage, where I spend most of my time smoking my stogies and working on projects anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    Welp. After running some simulations using some Ikea Dioders I have, I realize that I actually dislike the idea of there being lights inside the wineador. I'm going to disable the lighting completely.
    idk which are the dioders, but I use Ikea lights in both of mine. They don't stay on constantly but from time to time I run em. why don't you like em?
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast