Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

This is a discussion on Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle) within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I jumped on the bandwagon last night and ordered a scratch and dent Koldfront (Edgestar) 28 bottle wine chiller from ...

ZS Reserve Officer

Cool Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

I jumped on the bandwagon last night and ordered a scratch and dent Koldfront (Edgestar) 28 bottle wine chiller from OpenBoxDirect for $88 shipped.

It was a good deal, so I figured why not. I had planned on making a Wineador anyways and that was just too good a price to pass up.

I've been reading a lot about the various steps that need to be taken to remove the plastic smell, so I'm going to try to do it the slow way with lots of carbon ink newspaper and a wash of baking soda and water.

I'm still not sure exactly how I want the drawers to be set up, but I'm forming ideas for some various customizations that should make it pretty.

I'm thinking of getting a set of Forrest drawers with cherry or lacewood fronts, but I also need to find a local guy who can do a slip-frame cabinet front for the door so I can have it match the drawers I end up with. The guy I was going to use isn't dong wood work any more so now I have to find someone I have to pay (drat).

I plan on replacing the lighting with some personal drawer lighting and seeing if I can get Forrest on board with placing some hygrometer sized holes in the fronts of one or two of the drawers so I don't have to stick the hygrometers TO the drawer face, but just insert it with a rubber gasket to friction fit it into place.

I'm trying to decide on the optimal set up for using either RH beads or kitty litter with a small fan and am thinking that since I'm pretty good with electronics, I can whip up a small 120mm area fan with a rheostat to push air around near silently.

The one thing that has me wondering is that I hear that the internal fan for all of these chillers has a tendency to not be good for even cello wrapped cigars, so that means I should probably stick a shelf in front of the cooling fan instead of having a drawer there that the air can move around against. Maybe I'm overthinking that, since he obviously makes 5 drawer setups that include a drawer in front of that fan area.

This is my thinking and build thread, so if I ramble, or talk to myself, you'll know why.

ZS Reserve Officer

Re: Elricfate's Wineador (Koldfront 28 bottle)

I decided on the Koldfront for two reasons, one the price was too good to pass up, but two, it doesn't have a digital temp control, it has an analog setup. That means that if the power goes out for any reason, it won't lose the settings I have it set on and that means I can use it on an external timer so it's not running 24/7.

The slip-frame front I want to have built is to give the door the look of a custom hardwood without removing the utility of the dual pane design of the original door, or chancing that a full wooden door will warp and deform under humidity.

Did it have any dents or dings? When it came in? Prices are excellent on that site.

I'd make something similar to a picture frame that fits over the existing door. Just watch that as the door opens the frame doesn't hit the side cabinet and prevent opening. The only way it would work on my Emerson would be if I were to glue on very thin pieces of veneer. I thought about doing the entire cabinet in real wood veneer.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Great price no doubt post some pics!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    Did it have any dents or dings? When it came in? Prices are excellent on that site.

I'd make something similar to a picture frame that fits over the existing door. Just watch that as the door opens the frame doesn't hit the side cabinet and prevent opening. The only way it would work on my Emerson would be if I were to glue on very thin pieces of veneer. I thought about doing the entire cabinet in real wood veneer.

I don't have it in my grubby little hands yet, I just ordered it last night. It's free shipping, so should be 2-5 business days.

The slip-frame is basically the same idea. A frame that goes over the door, but doesn't get glued on so can be removed for cleaning the edges of the glass and whatnot when it needs to be done. About the only real issues would be if the door were to bind, like you said, but I figure if you use a tapering design for the back and top parts (where the hinges are attached) it shouldn't be an issue. Until I get it in the house, though, I won't know for sure.

I didn't plan on doing the whole cabinet in a wood veneer, just the front, since that's what you'll see in relation to the fronts on the drawers, and I have a large drawer humidor I planned on sticking on top of the wineador for "immediate smokeables" -- though I might pass on that and place something else on top, and sell that humidor. Depends on how good this looks, I tend to hoard things like that.

ZS Reserve Officer

I stopped by my local B&M today (Barclay Pipe and Tobacco on Sawmill Road) and picked up five or six cigar boxes, only charged me like $4 to grab them since I'm now a more regular regular.

These should help with the plastic smell initially until I get a good set of shelves.

ZS Reserve Officer

So I figured this post was about useless without pics, so I snapped two of the cooler that came today.

This is the front and glass, as you can see I've filled it with newspaper and cigar boxes.

This is the only damage I could find on my "scratch and dent" model, that and a few little scuffs on the handle. As it is, I can take a silver sharpie marker to it for now since I planned on having that slip-frame built for the door anyways (or gluing a veneer to it if I can't luck out and find a new carpenter)

ZS Reserve Officer

I sent an email to Forrest with some ideas/questions I had. I'm going to post the meat of the email here to keep you all abreast of what I have in mind.

Idea 1) I want to have a wooden door for the front to match the wooden shelves. I was thinking I could find someone local to make a slip-frame door cover to go over it but the one guy I had in mind isn't going to be able to help me. I looked through all 360+ of your pictures and saw one that was a wooden door but couldn't tell if it was a full door or just a frame that went over the current door. Do you think this is something you could do and if so, how much?

Idea 2) I am wanting to add some interior lighting to the wineador moreso than just what's built in by the manufacturer of the chiller. My thoughts were an internal, all around the glass, inward facing light. I also was thinking that I would add two LED SMD5050 (or more dim version, I haven't decided fully) strips per drawer on each side, internally. I was hoping to highlight the cigars in the drawer by using a magnetic switch that would activate the drawer lighting once the door was opened so as not to have to manually control those lights. The only reason I am thinking about mounting the strips to the insides (left and right side) of the drawers is because I haven't found a set of drawers that is fully encased with a top that I can statically mount them to, so I will have to do some finagling with the wires in the back so they can move with the drawer as it opens but not bind up when closing.

Idea 3) I want to use two/three (I haven't decided the exact number) hygrometers internally, I am pondering between Caliber IV and Hygroset III (the kind that tend to mount to humidors with external analog hygrometers), but I am wanting to place them inset into the top and bottom drawers of the wineador instead of sticking them TO the face of the drawers with 3M double sided tape. It will give it a more uniform look and make it look a little more professional, to me. So is it possible to cut a mounting area in the fronts of the drawers for these hygrometers?

Idea 4) I'm unsure if it's a good idea to place drawers in the path of the internal fan (temperature reducing fan) inside the chiller, but I don't have a need for shelves as I like to unbox my cigars when I buy them by the box, and do most of my shopping by the 5/10/20 bundle rather than boxes anyhow. I'd like almost all, if not all, the wineador to be drawer facing, but since I've never taken this on, I defer to your advice on this one. Do you think it's a bad idea to place drawers in front of the venting fan, or am I worrying myself? Would it be better if those drawers didn't have back/side venting and only used the diagonal slats to move humidity through them, but let the other drawers who weren't in the direct path of the fan to have the vented option?

Question 1) Do your drawer dividers basically turn a double drawer into two single drawers (but just with the appearance of a double drawer on the outside)? And how hard are they to lift out once loaded with cigars? Would it be a better idea to just have two/four single drawers at the top rather than the whole thing filled with doubles and divider trays?

ZS Reserve Officer

To expand on the lighting idea, since the others are pretty straight-forward. I am going to use surface mounted LED strips to achieve what I want. I haven't torn open the internal powered light in the chiller yet to see what I'm working with, so the following is just a rundown of what I would do without an already accessible power supply. This is all with a minimum of soldering (so others can follow and make adjustments without needing tools they may not have).

Amazon.com: HitLights LED Flexible Lighting Strip Cool White or Bright White, 5 Meter or 16 Ft, 3528 Type, 300 SMD, 24 Watt: Home Improvement

or

LEDwholesalers 16.4 Feet 300xSMD3528 LED Flexible Strip with Waterproof Sleeve LED Ribbon 5 Meter Reel 12 Volt, White 2047WH - Amazon.com

or

LEDwholesalers 5 Meter Reel Warm White 3100K Flexible LED Ribbon 300 LEDs 16ft 2026ww-31k - Amazon.com

Probably going with the middle set since they have the "Waterproof" silicone sleeve. All of these are trimmable every third LED in the strand. This will be used to run around the internal perimeter of the door, facing the drawers. That will be run 100% of the time.

HitLights 24 Watt LED Power Supply Driver Transformer, 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC Output - Amazon.com -- a moderate power supply. Enough to run the entire strand. Since my plans will likely only take about one strand worth of lights (16.4 ft) it should do fine.

Ledwholesalers Inline PWM 12 Volt 2 Amp Dimmer for LED Strips with DC Jack, 3318 - Amazon.com and Amazon.com: HitLights LED Strips On/Off Switch Connector With 1.6 Ft Cable and Female DC Plugs For SMD3528 LED Flexible Strip Light: Patio, Lawn & Garden will provide me with the ability to have an external control and dimmer for the door lights. Most of you might wonder why I am using inline and not an all in one solution and it's mostly just because it seems more "professional" to me if I can mount these as surface controls to the entire system rather than sticking a dial on the back somewhere.

Anytime Tools 127 pc Heat Shrink Wire Wrap Cable Sleeve Tubing Sets Assorted Size e/Case - Amazon.com will be used to make all the barrel plug connections more permanent. Should keep things from being unplugged by accident.

For the drawer lighting I am planning on having it controlled by the door opening and closing, this way there's not constant lights on the cigars (oxidation issues).

Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 8600 Micro Magnetic Switch: Car Electronics that magnetic switch will sit somewhere on the door and the frame of the chiller (I am thinking somewhere on the bottom, out of sight) and will control the strip lights. When the door is opened, they will turn on, illuminating the drawers, when the door is closed, the lights will turn off leaving only the door light to make the inside area shine but not damage the cigars.

For the door strands to connect properly, I am going to use Amazon.com: HitLights LED PCB Strip to Strip Connector, 2 Conductor, Any Angle Turn, For SMD3528 LED Strip Lights (4 Pcs Pack): Patio, Lawn & Garden in four sections so I can get the angles as perfect as I can, maybe. This might be a situation where I will want to solder and seal each individual connection, or shorten these connectors so it's less visible.

Since I'm planning on two side of the inside of the drawer mounted strips to light them up, I figured I would probably have to use a longer cable to make the connection through the back of the drawer. Amazon.com: HitLights 3.3 FT Extension LED Strip Connector, SMD 5050 Type And SMD3528 3-Color Type, Strip to Strip, Any Angle: Patio, Lawn & Garden those are 3.3ft in length, a piece, and I figure I can use one per drawer (cut them in half) and add connectors to the ends, Amazon.com: HitLights LED PCB Connector Box For 5050 SMD RGB Color Changing LED strip, Strip to Strip, 10 pcs: Patio, Lawn & Garden -- the only reason I am doing this rather than just 20ga wire is that I am trying to keep it as factory as possible without making custom cables .... this may yet change, depending on the requirements once I get my "test" parts ordered (and answers back from Forrest).

I am thinking that with the drawer cables, since I'll have no way of statically mounting them, I am going to need some kind of return for them. The thought occurred to me that I could mount a keychain spindle (the kind you put on your belt so you don't have to unclip keys, or ID cards) to the back of the chiller and attach it 3/4 of the way up the cable. That way when you pull the drawer out, the cable will slide out with it, but the spindle won't have so much pullback that it yanks the cable free of the light strip. Then you can close the drawer and it will assist the cable in retracting so it's not in the path of the drawer, or hanging down into the one below it.

I don't know, that's a work in progress. I'm just visualizing for that bit of work.

I can tell you as a professional wood worker that custom projects like this are a killer. They take a lot of time and you can't charge the price for the time spent figuring everything out and when it's done it may not be exactly what you were thinking of since you are unsure of what you really want. Your ideas are only conceptual.

Your custom project should be done by you and that way you'll get exactly the way you want it. It's also more fun and rewarding doing it yourself. My two cents.

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    I can tell you as a professional wood worker that custom projects like this are a killer. They take a lot of time and you can't charge the price for the time spent figuring everything out and when it's done it may not be exactly what you were thinking of since you are unsure of what you really want. Your ideas are only conceptual.

Your custom project should be done by you and that way you'll get exactly the way you want it. It's also more fun and rewarding doing it yourself. My two cents.
    Fair enough. But I am not a woodworker. I don't claim even basic carpentry skills. The best thing I've ever done in wood was a headboard, and even that was as simple as getting the wood ripped to the right dimensions and using nails to do the rest. I know anything I make is going to look like amateur crap.

Edit: Also, don't just focus on the door frame. The rest is really the best, and I'm doing all of that myself.

ZS Reserve Officer

I sent off an email to Chasidor too... I'm not REALLY picky (though I would prefer Forrest drawers) on how I want to do it, I just want to get one of them on board with it. Plus, to be honest, if I'm doing business with someone on that level, I want to speak to them first anyways.

I've been waiting a few days for answers, so at least I'm being patient. However, once I get my answers, I'm not waiting months for stuff, so I'll likely pay for a RUSH option.

ZS Reserve Officer

Well, I got a response from Forrest, but he's too busy to assist with the door.

That's okay, though. I'm still drawing out diagrams for the lighting and he suggested ribbon cables, which might work too. It'll be another couple weeks before I can make an order for drawers, but that's okay. I am going to begin tearing down the electronics soon to see what I can tie directly into the chiller's power supply instead of forcing an external power supply to drive the lighting.

No longer a community member.

man you are tempting me to get a scratch and dent model, but knowing my luck I would get one that is all jacked up...

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivorousPelican View Post
    man you are tempting me to get a scratch and dent model, but knowing my luck I would get one that is all jacked up...
    Do it and don't look back. The pictures of my "scratches" are all pre-sharpie. I went at it with a silver sharpie and now you can't even tell there WERE scratches there. It looks like it was just a display model at a store.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast