Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

New to HF beads...

This is a discussion on New to HF beads... within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I have that hygrometer as well. It's not very accurate. It could easily be off by 5%. It's been a ...

  
  1. #16

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    I have that hygrometer as well. It's not very accurate. It could easily be off by 5%. It's been a while since I looked at mine but I don't think there is any adjustment on that hygrometer you have.

    How big of humidor or storage do you have 1 pound of beads in?

  2. #17

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by craig61a View Post
    Well 15 minutes in the oven made a lot more white beads, and a few discolored. I just picked those out. Put the beads in the container and placed them in the humidor. I'll see how it turns out in a few days. FWIW the rest of the beads I had in the bag I just left and stuck a hygro in there. After about 45 minutes it shows about 65%.

    I think a better way to dry these out would be to place them in a container with a desiccant bag and wait a few days... live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    I don't know if HF has any actual directions up, but I know when I dry out the dessicant pack in my gun cabinet, I put the oven on 200 and let it sit in there for two hours, this generally makes it stone dry. It's the equivalent of sticking it in a dehydrator (which you could also do) for a 12 hour cycle. Having said that, I would wager that if you overwet them, an hour would even them back out. Let them cool, add a few tablespoons of water, et cetera.
    You guys may or may not have access to one but a hair dryer works great.

  3. #18

    ZS Reserve Officer


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    You guys may or may not have access to one but a hair dryer works great.
    So does a microwave, from what I read. Or a heat gun (though heat guns and hair dryers have the unintended effect of localization of heat which could cause some intense fracturing, and the hair dryer has forced air, blargh)

  4. #19

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    So does a microwave, from what I read. Or a heat gun (though heat guns and hair dryers have the unintended effect of localization of heat which could cause some intense fracturing, and the hair dryer has forced air, blargh)
    Heartfelt recommends a hairdryer..........

    Just stay a decent distance away and go back and forth like you would with hair.

    Also, you don't have to use heat, just blowing air over them will dry them up. takes longer without heat.

    Do what you want though.

  5. #20

    ZS Reserve Officer


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    Heartfelt recommends a hairdryer..........

    Just stay a decent distance away and go back and forth like you would with hair.

    Also, you don't have to use heat, just blowing air over them will dry them up. takes longer without heat.

    Do what you want though.
    Not arguing the point at all. I was just pointing out the inherent danger to the beads themselves. Though since they're "museum quality" RH beads, they should continue working even if fractured.

  6. #21

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    I have found in my experience with beads that if you use way more beads than you need, then the RH will be higher then the preset %. (lots of beads in a small container)

    The more beads you have, the more RH is being let out. (surface area)

    The dry beads take a while to absorb the extra RH so it may read higher than 65% until it equalizes. You can quickly spike the RH but it will take a while for it to come down.

    You may try to wet just 30% of them and see how that works. I think you will find that it will regulate the RH a little more accurate.

    Also, if you have 15 cigars in a 250 count humidor, its gonna throw the RH out of wack. The cigars absorb the RH and act as a buffer of sorts.

    Make sense?

  7. #22

    Leading Puffer Fish Gdaddy's Avatar


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    I don't understand why placing additional water into an already over humidified environment helps to bring down the RH.

    The HF beads are 'pre-set' at a specific RH when they are shipped... correct?
    Why would you then open the bag and add additional water to them?

  8. #23

    ZS Reserve Officer


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    I don't understand why placing additional water into an already over humidified environment helps to bring down the RH.

    The HF beads are 'pre-set' at a specific RH when they are shipped... correct?
    Why would you then open the bag and add additional water to them?
    That's the RH they're calibrated to be at assuming they're not at 100% absorption, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's the RH they're at straight from the bag. If there's no moisture from them (stored for longer than normal or some such) then they won't keep a stable RH no matter what they're calibrated for.

  9. #24

    Leading Puffer Fish Gdaddy's Avatar


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    How are they 'calibrated' to achieve different RH levels?

  10. #25

    Don't Thread On Me asmartbull's Avatar


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    How are they 'calibrated' to achieve different RH levels?
    Salt.....

    You can't look at HF and HCM the same way as the only similarity is the ease of use.......
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

  11. #26

    ZS Reserve Officer


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    How are they 'calibrated' to achieve different RH levels?
    Hot and cold. They're a two way RH silica bead. Regular dessicant beads are "charged" to "pull in moisture but not release" by placing them into a heated environment for an amount of time required for them to be fully dehydrated.

    Heartfelt beads are just the museum quality big brother of regular dessicant beads in that they not only pull in moisture, but they also release it to maintain equilibrium. You calibrate them using heat to force their RH to be lower, or cold, to force it to be higher. (I don't know the exact science to it, this is just what I've read)

  12. #27

    Leading Puffer Fish Gdaddy's Avatar


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    I realize that HCM and HF work in completely different ways.

    Are you saying that they add a little more (or less) salt to each different bead to achieve a certain RH level? Is this how they are 'calibrated' ?

  13. #28

    Leading Puffer Fish Gdaddy's Avatar


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    Hot and cold. They're a two way RH silica bead. Regular dessicant beads are "charged" to "pull in moisture but not release" by placing them into a heated environment for an amount of time required for them to be fully dehydrated.

    Heartfelt beads are just the museum quality big brother of regular dessicant beads in that they not only pull in moisture, but they also release it to maintain equilibrium. You calibrate them using heat to force their RH to be lower, or cold, to force it to be higher. (I don't know the exact science to it, this is just what I've read)
    So if I wanted a lower RH why would you add water? If the beads are dehydrated they should readily pull out moisture...no?

  14. #29

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    I thought the salt was just to change the hygroscopic properties of the beads.. Hence increase / decrease the absorption rate, but in the end they are just buffers...

  15. #30

    Don't Thread On Me asmartbull's Avatar


     

    Re: New to HF beads...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    I realize that HCM and HF work in completely different ways.

    Are you saying that they add a little more (or less) salt to each different bead to achieve a certain RH level? Is this how they are 'calibrated' ?
    Don
    Does it really matter ?? The fact is, they work.
    I would address specific questions directly to HF.....I have always received stellar CS .
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •