Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New to HF beads...

This is a discussion on New to HF beads... within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I bought a pound of Heartfelt Beads 65% and received them earlier this week. I took some and placed them ...

Young Puffer Fish

New to HF beads...

I bought a pound of Heartfelt Beads 65% and received them earlier this week. I took some and placed them in an old larger foam humidifier container (the ones that come with 100 ct. humidors) after removing the foam. I sprayed them down with distilled water as per what I've read, leaving about 60% of them still white. Placed them in a humidor and after a couple days checked humidity. It was running about 71%. Figured maybe I wet down to many, so I removed those beads and mixed them with some white beads from the original bag and mixed them well. I've got the humidifier back in the box and it's running 70%; I left the other half in the ziplock I mixed them in with a couple hygrometers, and those are showing 70% also. I thought it was easy to get these going and I wanted to move to 65% humidification. Not sure if I got the right beads or what. The package was marked 65, but that's sure not what I'm seeing...

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Re: New to HF beads...

how many cigars are in the humi?
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Young Puffer Fish

About 70-75

Relax, do not spray them again & if necessary remove them from the humidor. HF beads ARE simple but you seem to have over saturated them or the cigars themselves are to wet. Time is your friend here, not angst.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Did they come with any instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    Did they come with any instructions?
    Since we are all online then we can all access the instructions online via the HF website.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

TJB

Make sure your hygrometer is accurate. I have heard people actually calibrate their hygrometers by these they are so accurate. If your hygrometer is not off then its possible your cigars are too wet and give it a couple weeks to stabilize. If its still running at 70 then I guess it's possible to have gotten the wrong rh. It's also possible your ambient rh is too high as well. I find personally its often not necesary to wet too much of the beads, just a few sprays. Some people let them run almost dry and get a baseline rh before adding water. It's real easy to over saturate the beads. Good luck!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Relax, do not spray them again & if necessary remove them from the humidor. HF beads ARE simple but you seem to have over saturated them or the cigars themselves are to wet. Time is your friend here, not angst.
    Ditto^^^^

Young Puffer Fish

Well the humidity in the room I keep my humidors in is 55%. Temp varies during the day from 65-70 degrees F. I've never used these beads before so I figured I'd ask here first since it seems a lot of people here like and use them.

I would suppose that there is that possibility that they did get too much distilled water, but I figured if I cut the volume of beads in half and added dry I would have seen some decrease in rH. Not big deal though I'll just have to play with them and see. I may just take some and dry them in an oven on low for an hour so they'll be basically 100% dry and add that to the humi and see what happens.

I appreciate the input - thanks!

Young Puffer Fish

Well 15 minutes in the oven made a lot more white beads, and a few discolored. I just picked those out. Put the beads in the container and placed them in the humidor. I'll see how it turns out in a few days. FWIW the rest of the beads I had in the bag I just left and stuck a hygro in there. After about 45 minutes it shows about 65%.

I think a better way to dry these out would be to place them in a container with a desiccant bag and wait a few days... live and learn.

ZS Reserve Officer

I don't know if HF has any actual directions up, but I know when I dry out the dessicant pack in my gun cabinet, I put the oven on 200 and let it sit in there for two hours, this generally makes it stone dry. It's the equivalent of sticking it in a dehydrator (which you could also do) for a 12 hour cycle. Having said that, I would wager that if you overwet them, an hour would even them back out. Let them cool, add a few tablespoons of water, et cetera.

Young Puffer Fish

Well I realize it's only been about 10 hours but I haven't seen a drop in my humidor, and the bag I had the rest in is running about 69%, so I don't know what else to do. I'm thinking that I must have got the 70% beads in a 65% marked bag. No matter what I've done so far has resulted in 65% readings. I sent an email to HF, guess I'll just wait to see what they have to say...

Name:  IMAG0541.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  41.9 KB

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by craig61a View Post
    Well I realize it's only been about 10 hours but I haven't seen a drop in my humidor, and the bag I had the rest in is running about 69%, so I don't know what else to do. I'm thinking that I must have got the 70% beads in a 65% marked bag. No matter what I've done so far has resulted in 65% readings. I sent an email to HF, guess I'll just wait to see what they have to say...

Name:  IMAG0541.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  41.9 KB
    You are using an analog hygrometer. These cannot be trusted they are not accurate even when calibrated. Get yourself a nice digital hygrometer: caliber IV, xikar, hygroset and calibrate and try this again.

Young Puffer Fish

I have several analogs and several digitals (xikar, hygroset) all calibrated within the last 2 months. I had several in the bag the other day and they all read the same thing ~ 70%... And as far as the analogs go, I tend to check them every so often and they do come back right to where they should be - 75%. You'll notice in the photo the beads are almost all solid white and still giving off 70%. I don't need to go buy a lab grade hygro to figure out that the beads are obviously not what they are supposed to be rated.

With something as mysterious and confusing as these beads are, you'd think they would come with more complete set of instructions.

FYI...the HCM beads come with full written instructions written on a piece of paper. My e-mail questions were answered by Michael within an hour.

Please keep us posted as to when they answer you're e-mail question.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast