Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Tactical Humidor?

This is a discussion on Tactical Humidor? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hey guys, being really into military stuff and giventhat I do military simulations most weekends, I thought it would be ...

Tactical Humidor?

Hey guys, being really into military stuff and giventhat I do military simulations most weekends, I thought it would be cool to turn an ammo can into a humidor. What kind of stuff would I need besides the can? Would it be just like a tupperdor if I just put the cigars inside it with Boveda packets? Or should I go the rout that Combat Humidors went with their with the Cedar and such? What exactly does the cedar do that makes a difference?

Re: Tactical Humidor?

Search is your friend. I an just to lazy to do it for you right now. There have been several Puffers who have used ammo cans, discarded equipment cases and other stuff with a proven track record. I think there was even a Puff Brother who offered lining and shelves for ammo cans and custom built a supplied case that was discarded in the sandbox.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Cedar helps with maintaining an RH. It also obviously smells good.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

I would consider lining it, or at least using cedar trays inside it.
    “ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copper0426 View Post
    Cedar helps with maintaining an RH. It also obviously smells good.
    supposed to keep the bugs away too
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Young Puffer Fish

I'd recommend a new(er) production ammo can if you go that route, almost every milsurp can I've owned/used has had a distinct metallic smell to it. Since they're also more or less airtight, I can't imagine that the smell would be a good thing for your sticks. Maybe with cedar and some good cleaning/conditioning it would go away but I wouldn't risk any premium smokes in it. What about one of those old artillery shell crates? They're wooden but with some modifications on the inside you could probably seal one up, or at least stash a smaller humidor in it with some of that packing straw that grenades come in.

Young Puffer Fish

Another thought; if you want a tactical looking humi, what about some sort of pistol case? Either like an actual carrying case or a factory plastic case that came with one (i.e. Glock/S&W). It may look a lot like a travel humidor but it would still be pretty fitting for a tactical theme.

Puffer Fish with many spikes GoJohnnyGo's Avatar

I keep a lot of cigars in a pelican case with no foam. It's uber tacticool. I did it because I had the case sitting around and wasn't using it. No metallic or greasy smells. I'd suggest looking into these if you want something with a .mil look.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

I had a 5.56mm ammo can that I converted to an ammodor. I had lined it with Spanish Cedar and it held RH great with some boveda packs in it. If you are going the ammo can route, I would recommend a .50 cal box since its bigger, and there are a few places that offer tray kits for them ( Accessories - Custom Wineador™ Creations is one place).

I had thought of finding a mil surplus footlocker and sealing and lining it for a mil style humidor, but havent done much more than thought about it so far.

Full grown Puffer Fish Livin' Legend's Avatar

I bought one at a flea market, and it had a terrible smell to it, very chemical. After washing it out about five times, I realized it was the rubber seal, so I pulled that off and replaced it with some weather stripping of about the same size. Because I lack the proper tools for making trays, I ordered some from Forrest ($30 for three trays with a humidity sheet for the bottom), and now it makes a fantastic travel humidor. I take it with me whenever I go on a road trip and it usually comes back at last halfway filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1233 View Post
    I'd recommend a new(er) production ammo can if you go that route, almost every milsurp can I've owned/used has had a distinct metallic smell to it. Since they're also more or less airtight, I can't imagine that the smell would be a good thing for your sticks.
    if it's like all the cans I have, it's not metallic but rather off-gassing from the propellant in the ammo. Your right though, it probably won't do the cigars any favors.

Tom

Newbie in the ocean

Talking Re: Tactical Humidor?

If you are a chain smoker then you should buy a humidor which keep your cigar moist and fresh. I like those humidor which is effective in working and magnificent.