Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How Often Do You Add Water To Your Beads?

This is a discussion on How Often Do You Add Water To Your Beads? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hello all, I've recently switched from the Xikar 4oz jar to the Heartfelt 65% 1080 tube. I was wondering how ...

Just getting my feet wet

Question How Often Do You Add Water To Your Beads?

Hello all, I've recently switched from the Xikar 4oz jar to the Heartfelt 65% 1080 tube. I was wondering how often you guys have to put distilled water in your beads? I've had mines for about 3 weeks and I've already had to put distilled water in it once and the beads are starting to look dry again. My new humidor is also about 3 weeks old and is about 820 cubic inches. I seasoned it for 4 days before putting any sticks in it. The beads are stored on the top shelf in the middle of the humidor. Something tells me I'm doing something wrong. The humidity has also dropped from 65% to 63%. Is a 2% or so fluctuation normal or should I add water again? The temperature in my Humi is about 75 degrees (nothing I can do about that) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it as well. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My wife's solution is to stop staring at the damn thing, lol.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Re: How Often Do You Add Water To Your Beads?

How full is your humidor?
    More cigars also help regulate the rH.

It's usual to see a 2-3% drop and that stays steady.

If I see a 5-8% drop thats is when I recharge.

Try moving the tube to the bottom and see what happens.

Just getting my feet wet

Thanks for the reply. I currently have about 40 sticks in there, it's 100 capacity. I had it at the bottom initially but moved it because the tube rolled around too much when I moved the humi and I saw a couple of beads on the humidor floor. A little birdie tells me I'll have some sticks come Fathers Day so maybe that will help stabilize things a bit.

Tell your significant other you need more cigars to protect your current cigars...lol

Just getting my feet wet

Ha! That's a good one!

I think your wife might be right.Stop diddling with it.

65% to 63% is ideal imo. Do you open the box frequently to look at the hygro? Does the lid have a good seal? What's the RH in the room?

Just getting my feet wet

Not sure what the RH in the room is, I now see that's an important factor as well. The seal is good. I open it about once every 36 hours to grab a stick. It has a glass top so I can see my digital hygrometer without opening it. I calibrated both my digital and analog hygrometers and they seem to be in tune with one another.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I use kitty litter in my cooler's and only have to add water maybe twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieS View Post
    Not sure what the RH in the room is, I now see that's an important factor as well. The seal is good. I open it about once every 36 hours to grab a stick. It has a glass top so I can see my digital hygrometer without opening it. I calibrated both my digital and analog hygrometers and they seem to be in tune with one another.
    Ah, forgot to ask about that. Glass top humidors routinely leak around the glass. Food grade or aquarium silicon around the glass will help hold the rH.
    Also, with glass top keep it out of direct sunlight.

Just getting my feet wet

Ah, I'll be sure to keep an eye on things. I'm also careful to keep it out of direct sunlight. Thanks!

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Problem is the beads.. I've had nothing but problems with mine.. I spray them every week or so...

Never had any problems with Bovedas drying, or my kittie litter for that matter.

Heartfelt sucks.. I've heard good things about the HCM's though!
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

I have not touched any of mine in three months and even that last charge was because we moved residence & disturbed them. (Refrigerated wineador, three wood humidors, a tupperdore & all except one small desktop use Heartfelts).
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post
    Problem is the beads.. I've had nothing but problems with mine.. I spray them every week or so...

Never had any problems with Bovedas drying, or my kittie litter for that matter.

Heartfelt sucks.. I've heard good things about the HCM's though!
    Never had issues with my HF and I still use them in some humidors. They're many years old.

Young Puffer Fish

While on the subject how often do you guys completely replace beads? Or I guess a better way to ask is at what point do they start to loose their ability to maintain the desired humidity? I assume they eventually wear out.

Full grown Puffer Fish Chrishorsley13's Avatar

Not to thread jack but do you mist them, spray them or use that little needle thing that comes with them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast