Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lighter recommendations

This is a discussion on Lighter recommendations within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by stonecutter2 I like my Vector Heatran triple torch. Feels high quality in the hand, and lights reliably ...

Leading Puffer Fish

Re: Lighter recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
    I like my Vector Heatran triple torch. Feels high quality in the hand, and lights reliably (unless you need to refill).

Edit: Mine is the Black Crackle, which has a subtle texture to it that makes it easy to grip, but does not feel cheap.
    I second this! Vectors are great lighters, super reliable. I like the Vector Commando because it has two different sized punch cutters and that is my preferred method of cutting. Nice note about the black crackle color. It never occurred to me that it would help the grip.

Maturing Puffer Fish arkiesmoker's Avatar

The "stylish" lighters many manufacturers have come out with are really annoying. Seems like some have chosen style over function. The last couple of lighters I bought were this type. You have to either use two hands or contort your thumb in an unnatural manner to somehow miraculously push the button. I'm now very careful to make sure when buying a lighter that the button is easy to access.

Young Fish

I have the same issue you mebtion arkiesmoker... I have some issues with pain in my right hand from a past injury too that make it uncomfortable to hold a standard lighter button down for more than 5-10 seconds. That was the primary reason I bought the side lighting style lighter I did, the Lotus 48 ($51 from Amazon).

If you look around, Lotus makes several lighters that have that side button light design, making it much easier to light using your whole hand rather than just the tip of your thumb. 5 years ago I wouldn't have given such things a second thought, but now days it was the primary feature I went looking for.

Puffer Fish with some spikes thegunslinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
    I like my Vector Heatran triple torch. Feels high quality in the hand, and lights reliably (unless you need to refill).

Edit: Mine is the Black Crackle, which has a subtle texture to it that makes it easy to grip, but does not feel cheap.
    I had a really bad experience with that lighter.

Got it in the mail. Tested it out and it worked fine. Then I went to use it for real. At first, it was difficult to get a flame lit and when it finally did light, I wasn't getting three jets but a flame like you'd get out of Bic or Zippo. After holding down the ignition switch for a couple seconds, flame actually started coming out of that area. And once the entire lighter became engulfed in flame forcing me to drop it (thankfully it went out). My assumption is that the connection from the gas tank to the jets was leaking somewhere in the middle. The other problem was that the adjustment knob for the flame strength is plastic and I destroyed it just trying to turn it a few times.

I've now got the Vector Vulcan Triple Flame and love it. No problems with the lighter working - just push the button on the side and the flames ignite - and the adjustment knob is metal so putting a sturdy screwdriver into it won't destroy it and make it impossible to adjust further.
    What's in my humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger View Post
    I had a really bad experience with that lighter.

Got it in the mail. Tested it out and it worked fine. Then I went to use it for real. At first, it was difficult to get a flame lit and when it finally did light, I wasn't getting three jets but a flame like you'd get out of Bic or Zippo. After holding down the ignition switch for a couple seconds, flame actually started coming out of that area. And once the entire lighter became engulfed in flame forcing me to drop it (thankfully it went out). My assumption is that the connection from the gas tank to the jets was leaking somewhere in the middle. The other problem was that the adjustment knob for the flame strength is plastic and I destroyed it just trying to turn it a few times.

I've now got the Vector Vulcan Triple Flame and love it. No problems with the lighter working - just push the button on the side and the flames ignite - and the adjustment knob is metal so putting a sturdy screwdriver into it won't destroy it and make it impossible to adjust further.
    Ack! Glad mine didn't do anything like that Vector does has a lifetime warranty if I remember right. Not sure if you bothered utilizing it.

I might have to try the Vulcan Triple Flame - i like the Heatran a lot, though.
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by henjg124 View Post
    Get a Ronson Jetlite for 3 bucks and some change then spend the rest on some sticks. I will never spend to much $$ on a lighter when the Jetlite does fine.
    This. Everyone I know who uses these swears by them. I'm about to pick one up myself, once I locate them.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by henjg124 View Post
    Get a Ronson Jetlite for 3 bucks and some change then spend the rest on some sticks. I will never spend to much $$ on a lighter when the Jetlite does fine.
    Seconded. Dirt cheap, widely available, look a lot more expensive then they are, compact, uber-reliable, and they are the only butane torch I've used that you don't have to constantly readjust the flame as the butane levels change. As far as quality goes this really is were you start hitting the point of diminishing returns as far as quality goes with lighters. I have a few more expensive lighters floating around that I've acquired here and there, and while I like them other reasons, I can't actually say any of them actually function any better then the Ronson.

I've also got a couple of Zippos, mostly military themed, floating around that I swap a butane insert in and out of. Works about the same and Zippos are so iconic and awesome I don't think I'll ever give up entirely, but I have noticed the butane insert doesn't hold a lot of butane compared to a comparable sized dedicated butane lighter. I had a first generation Zippo Blu, but honestly for a Zippo the build quality wasn't great (the body and top didn't close properly and the hinge felt loose). I've heard the Gen 2s are better and I might get one down the road, but like I said that's just for novelty and personal "I just think they are cool" reasons. Objectively the Ronson lights about as well as anything.

I will admit I've never seen the point to double/triple flame lighters. And I have learned to avoid anything that has an automatic sliding "hatch" that uncovers the flame hole when you light the lighter. I've never had one of those last.

I picked up a slightly garish siglo torch at the local b&m. It looks nice but is a bit tempermental after filling.

I have a number of lighters, including the Zippo Blu. I keep trying other lighters but overall, most days, the flint ignition on this lighter is extremely reliable + the fuel level window lets me know when more Butane is needed.

When I go fishing in Canada in the middle of nowhere, I will take a few lighters but I always take the Blu out in the boat.

Young Puffer Fish sillyrabbit72's Avatar

I personally love the st dupont maxijet my father has had his (xtend when he bought it) for atleast 6 years and I've never seen it mislight and I've had mine for a year so far and never seen a mislight either.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I appreciate my Ronson lighters but I only reach for them as a back up. At home, I only use 'em when my other lighters are out of fuel and I don't want to refill at that moment. Out and about, it's also a backup if my main lighter runs out...the lack of fuel window and small fuel capacity makes this a backup lighter for me.

My most used lighter is the Blazer CG-001. Fuel window and huge fuel reservoir (I lit and touched up 26 cigars on one fill up) but it does have a wider body than most and is not elegant looking.

Another single flame torch I like (that looks nicer) Is the Lotus 3800 series lighter. Fuel window and a cool lockout feature that pevents the side pusher pedals from being pushed in far enough for the lighter to light. I can light between 5-7 cigars with a full tank. I can usually grab these off of cbid for $16

For a double flame I like the Xikar XTX double. Good fuel capacity (I can light between 8-10 cigars) and a fuel window. Nice feature on these is that they will not light upside down. They can be had in the low 30s on cbid.

Puffer Fish with some spikes LueyC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James40 View Post
    This. Everyone I know who uses these swears by them. I'm about to pick one up myself, once I locate them.
    I agree. I bought two of them recently because my other lighters were pissing me off. And, after I modified them so that the button was easier to click they have been great. They do the trick and I don't care if I lose one, they cost me ~$4. I found one at Rite-Aide and one at Wally World, most drug stores will have them just ask where they keep the butane lighters. In my Wal-Mart there is a spot on each of the checkout lines for them.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post
    I second this! Vectors are great lighters, super reliable. I like the Vector Commando because it has two different sized punch cutters and that is my preferred method of cutting. Nice note about the black crackle color. It never occurred to me that it would help the grip.
    I use a Vector KGM Thunderbird butane insert in my Zippo. It's served me well for a long time, and it wasn't expensive. I bought it off ebay for about $10. They make them in torch, soft flame, and pipe.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I have a couple of lighters, from Dupont to Romson..but the one I use most at home is a bic

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by LueyC View Post
    I agree. I bought two of them recently because my other lighters were pissing me off. And, after I modified them so that the button was easier to click they have been great. They do the trick and I don't care if I lose one, they cost me ~$4. I found one at Rite-Aide and one at Wally World, most drug stores will have them just ask where they keep the butane lighters. In my Wal-Mart there is a spot on each of the checkout lines for them.
    I recently did the mod on my Ronson lighters too. I also prefer the easier to press ignition button.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast