Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

New cigar smoker question about storing humidity beads

This is a discussion on New cigar smoker question about storing humidity beads within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hello everyone, I am new to cigar smoking and I just got my first humidor in yesterday. I was reading ...

Newbie in the ocean

New cigar smoker question about storing humidity beads

Hello everyone,

I am new to cigar smoking and I just got my first humidor in yesterday. I was reading reviews and most people said the best way to go was with humidity beads, so I decided to order some (should be getting them tomorrow). My question is, what would be the best way to store them in my humidor? I have a small desktop humidor that holds 20-25 cigars so there really isn't too much room in there. My humidor did come with a small round humidifier.

So the main question: what is the best way to store the beads?

Thanks!

Re: New cigar smoker question about storing humidity beads

I don't know if this is "correct," but I use kitty litter tied in nylon pantyhose and placed in a small plastic container. No problems yet, but you should get a digital hygrometer, the analogs are notoriously inaccurate.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I have used shot glasses in the rear corners and I thought they actually looked kind of cool (they had a cool logo on them). Not sure if this is recommended though.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I suppose you could take the sponge out of the round humidifier and fill it with beads. I have cooledors and use cool whip containers for my beads.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by henjg124 View Post
    I suppose you could take the sponge out of the round humidifier and fill it with beads. I have cooledors and use cool whip containers for my beads.
    Could I just put them right into the round humidifier or do I need to put them in something first?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

i'm assuming that you purchased bulk beads?

i use beads in tubes. my small 20ct humidor has three medium tubes in it.

J.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by atv518 View Post
    Could I just put them right into the round humidifier or do I need to put them in something first?
    I would just dump em right in. If your really serious about cigars then get ready to look for something bigger than a desktop. I did the desktop thing 12 plus yrs ago and I filled that up quick and had to move on to coolers and wine fridges. Have fun

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

if you have a small humidifier with foam in it take a small screw driver and push the humidifier apart. take out the foam and see if it will hold the beads by itself. if not get some material, pantyhose, ect and cut a covering to keep them in. Other then that a few tubos with holes drilled in them...take the cigar out first
    There's no time to explain get in the

Quote Originally Posted by [OT] Loki View Post
    if you have a small humidifier with foam in it take a small screw driver and push the humidifier apart. take out the foam and see if it will hold the beads by itself. if not get some material, pantyhose, ect and cut a covering to keep them in. Other then that a few tubos with holes drilled in them...take the cigar out first
    This is what I did to my bigger desktop. Most of them have a screen that you can just resuse. It looks nice and clean.