Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

What is your best cigar cutter of all time?

This is a discussion on What is your best cigar cutter of all time? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Ken, is that the Palio double pouch?...

Puffer Fish with some spikes alexcue's Avatar

Re: What is your best cigar cutter of all time?

Ken, is that the Palio double pouch?

Looks like I am going to pick up a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter to try out.

Leading Puffer Fish sjcruiser36's Avatar

Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter, but now looking to add a Palio to the mix.

I like the big golden key Montecristo at home when it seems to interest me. 90% of the time is my Exacto hobby knife. Cuts like a laser and does not disturb the cap or crack to the side. My smokes are at 62% rh.
    I use a wicked sharp little pen knife when I'm out. Same deal, makes a deep hole keeping tar of my lips.
    I would like to have a V cutter.
    A little help is better than a lot of pity -Celtic Proverb
    Tweet me @mad_bricky FB http://www.facebook.com/mad.bricky

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by alexcue View Post
    Ken, is that the Palio double pouch?
    Yes that's it. It's pretty nice and seems very durable (only a couple of months of use so far).

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

To me, the biggest difference between the three most popular here (Xikar, Palio, Cuban Crafters), and since I've owned all of them, and since all of them have lifetime warranty and can be sent back is...

1) How long do they remain sharp?
    2) How reliable are they?

I can tell you the Palio is the most reliable... The Xikar has a lot of things that sometimes fail to work. The blades will sometimes stick when you open it, and the button to release has a history of deciding to stop working. You also sometimes have to tighten the screw at the base with some of them after a while.
    The Cuban Crafters is a great cutter for what you pay, but for me, it isn't as comfortable in the fingers with its sharper edges, and it's a little sticky when you open it and close it. It also is the least sharp of the three and will dull the fastest as it's not as high quality of steel as the Xikar or Palio. It is more reliable than the Xikar however.

Hence why I carry a Palio... Less things to break, lasts longer, more comfortable, weighs less, same great warranty
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
    To me, the biggest difference between the three most popular here (Xikar, Palio, Cuban Crafters), and since I've owned all of them, and since all of them have lifetime warranty and can be sent back is...

1) How long do they remain sharp?
    2) How reliable are they?

I can tell you the Palio is the most reliable... The Xikar has a lot of things that sometimes fail to work. The blades will sometimes stick when you open it, and the button to release has a history of deciding to stop working. You also sometimes have to tighten the screw at the base with some of them after a while.
    The Cuban Crafters is a great cutter for what you pay, but for me, it isn't as comfortable in the fingers with its sharper edges, and it's a little sticky when you open it and close it. It also is the least sharp of the three and will dull the fastest as it's not as high quality of steel as the Xikar or Palio. It is more reliable than the Xikar however.

Hence why I carry a Palio... Less things to break, lasts longer, more comfortable, weighs less, same great warranty
    Good points. I'm only a couple of months into the Perfect cutters so I can't comment on longevity but I have not noted that they are less sharp than my Palio or xikars (maybe I got lucky), though I certainly wouldn't say they were sharper. I love the round finger holes of the CC and my fingers fit through the openings better than they do the Palio openings.

Outside of personal preference, one advantage the Perfect cutter (and Xikar cutters) has over the Palio in the size of cigar it can take. The Palio will take up to 54 ring guage with no issue (snug fit) but a 56 ring guage would only get the tip of the cap though you could still get your cigar cut. Perfect cutter can comfortably fit a 60 ring guage cigar without obstruction. This is a non issue for most though as folks usually smoke cigars that are under a 54 ring guage, but I do remember having to take a little extra time cutting a couple 56 ring guage sticks with the Palio (no biggie though).

If the Perfect cutters starts to dull, I'll just send it in under warranty for sharpening/replacement. I can confirm that Palio uses high quality steel as my cutter remained sharp for 9 years.

Puffer Fish with some spikes LueyC's Avatar

I like my CC cutter, non perfect cut version (I wanted something I could use with torpedos/belicosos without having to recut). It is nice and heavy. I also enjoy the free Monte punch cutter every so often. Can't beat these two for value, I am sure I will pick up more toys along the way, but I am happy with these two for now.

JJ3

Love my Xikar Xi2, but still want to get a Palio one day.

My Xikar VX V-Cut is far and above my most used cutter at the moment. it leaves a perfect cut every time. When it comes to Belisicos and Torpedoes, my Xikar MTX Scissors can't be beat.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I've been using a Xikar Ultra Slim cutter/lighter combo, but then I received a Cuban Crafters stainless steel Perfect Cutter as a gift. I love the Perfect Cutter and it quickly became the only cutter I use.

It does have a couple of issues, though. As others observed, it is heavy in a pocket when traveling, it is a little sticky, and the edges of the finger holes are a little sharp. So, I ordered two of the inexpensive resin version, and I think it is the perfect Perfect Cutter. Lightweight, not sticky, no sharp edges. I'll use the original at home, and take the resin version traveling.

Sarasota, Fl

I love my Xikar X2.. But I also have a colibri guillotine that works great..Both on CBID for 30 bucks!

Puffer Fish with some spikes CigarKidUSAF's Avatar

My new limited edition Prometheus Destino Al Siglo cutter. Love this thing!

I've got a great cigar collection - Well it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.

Puffer Fish with some spikes fiatster's Avatar

Perfect cutter from Cuban Crafters.

Xikar XV V-Cutter, been through thousands of cigars and cuts like a knife through butter!! Use it on ever type of cigar for this reason.

By the way when you send a Xikar back for repairs (Xi series mostly) they send you a new one. The old ones are then fixed and sent to US Soldiers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast